Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69090 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:04 pm »

Yeah, most people like to call them lunatics.  Could you imagine eating at this new soup kitchen down the street and someone comes into the kitchen and starts yelling at you?

You think that is bad... When a guy called Notch didn't come into work for a little while, then people who enjoyed ating ah he's cafe thew stones at the place! There are a lot of crazy people wandering around internet plaza.

If I beat people up for stone-throwing, do you think the rest will get the idea not to do it?

because if I can kick people in the ball sack to make them behave peacefully and in a none-assy manner, I am seriously considering it.
Literally.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

If I beat people up for stone-throwing, do you think the rest will get the idea not to do it?

because if I can kick people in the ball sack to make them behave peacefully and in a none-assy manner, I am seriously considering it.
Literally.
Well, taking the large amount of people who like to throw stones, and hang out in internet, you would be spending a large amount of time kicking balls before the amount of balls you kicked covered a significant amount of the population to be noticed. I mean sure you can never kick them all, but kicking enough just to get noticed would take a fair amount of effort.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »

ITT:  Metaphors!

I've been considering making my own Roguelike Fantasy City simulator.  How different would it have to be from DF to be able to stand on its own legs without criticism from the Bay12 community for being plagiarism?  What if I used Dwarves as the main race?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:48 pm »

First of all, don't use the exact same names for everything.
Second... Actually, that's all the advice I have without seeing anything.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »

First of all, don't use the exact same names for everything.
Second... Actually, that's all the advice I have without seeing anything.

Duh, to the first.  I'm just wondering, how far will DwarvesH have to differentiate to become its own game?  His goals seem similar.  A game where you dig into a mountain at multiple z-levels to simulate a dwarven fortress.  That's actually pretty base right there.  "Game where you dig to make a house".  Lifting off from there though, what could he do to make it different enough from DF?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:54 pm »

what if he was to post a thread on creative projects, and either claimed he was using the same names as a placeholder or as a tribute to df? if he's copying a game, he might as well be honest about it

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »

ya know, it's not to unlikely he has never even heard of dwarf fortress, I mean the whole build a base thing is an entire genre of games, and jsut having dwarves as your men.... I mean really, not to unlikily.   Either way though, you can't really say he's copieing anything until the games more developed, just because it's base is similar doesn't mean the finished product is anything close.   Especially since DF is still in it's alpha stage
Nom nom nom

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2011, 08:19:54 pm »

ya know, it's not to unlikely he has never even heard of dwarf fortress, I mean the whole build a base thing is an entire genre of games, and jsut having dwarves as your men.... I mean really, not to unlikily.   Either way though, you can't really say he's copieing anything until the games more developed, just because it's base is similar doesn't mean the finished product is anything close.   Especially since DF is still in it's alpha stage

Agreed on the second part, but I have to say he has heard of Dwarf Fortress.  On account of him saying it is a source of inspiration for him, and the items having exactly the same names.  Again though, I agree with the second part- the finished product can end up very very different.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »

ahh ya I only watched the video on the first post... and I thought wild strawberries are pretty generic, I mean I grow some here during the summer.  But if that's stonesense then it's not technically copying df.... it's copying stonesense.   Naw I'm kidding ya, that is pretty blantant, but if you copy the base, then you save yourself a year or two of foundation work.  Something quite a few people do these days.
Nom nom nom

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »

Oh boy... if You can get into this much trouble from creating clones, think about all them Quake like games or all the fifty million versions of bejeweled, tower defense, third person RPGs (some of which use elves, dwarfs, goblins, health potions!)  How dare they steal from the original!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

How dare they steal from the original!

I've decided to invest in classes to become a dispenser of justice. Maybe sawmill justice.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2011, 09:36:04 am »

ahh ya I only watched the video on the first post... and I thought wild strawberries are pretty generic, I mean I grow some here during the summer.  But if that's stonesense then it's not technically copying df.... it's copying stonesense.   Naw I'm kidding ya, that is pretty blantant, but if you copy the base, then you save yourself a year or two of foundation work.  Something quite a few people do these days.

Could you please actually read the thread, or at least view that image linked a few posts back? He's got a lot more going on than just copying stonesense tiles or "wild strawberries".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2011, 09:45:43 am »

This isn't actually a clone though they've just modded DF slightly, how long do you think it would have taken to actually program a game this similar to df? obviously they just stole code if not the entire game with very slight modifications .
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:03 am »

They didn't steal code, as that would be impossible. DF isn't open-source and the code has never been leaked.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25