Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69128 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

Apparently, folks here are taking this way too personally ... it's a freaking game.

I'd argue, but you mentioned earlier that you don't believe in intellectual property. All the counterarguments I can think of kind of hinge on creative works having value. :-\

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:12 am »

even not counting intelectual property and stuff, one can still make the case that this could harm toady's income and the future of df

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

This isn't about whether he ripped off Dwarf Fortress. It's about whether Toady will be hurt financially if this guy starts selling. If he sells this then Toady may be out of a job. Which despite Askot's argument's, is a bad thing.

The solution: Preemptive lawsuit.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »

This isn't about whether he ripped off Dwarf Fortress. It's about whether Toady will be hurt financially if this guy starts selling. If he sells this then Toady may be out of a job. Which despite Askot's argument's, is a bad thing.

I don't think that will be such a huge issue because of the whole "eight years and it's still in alpha" thing. Dwarf Fortress is pretty massive, as projects go. If someone manages to replicate it in a meaningful way inside a reasonable timeframe, well, I'd say they've earned the money. :|

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »

That is literally the stupidest thing I've heard all day. He's not even planning to release it for free much less selling it at this point,there is literally nothing to sue over.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

As long as he gives credit to toady (especailly with the current state of the game; dwarves, pig tail, same biomes, etc) I don't mind.
I have tried to play Goblin Camp once because of the mouse control with everything but it was unplayable for me :S

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

That is literally the stupidest thing I've heard all day. He's not even planning to release it for free much less selling it at this point,there is literally nothing to sue over.
No no.. there's gotta be a lawsuit.  For emotional damages and some such. /sarcasm
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

...Wow that is so dumb. Seriously.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »

...Wow that is so dumb. Seriously.

I need a sarcasm disclaimer.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »

"despite askot's argument"? what's my argument? i argued that the possibility of this harming toady's job makes it an issue even if one doesn't care much for property laws. i never implied that harming toady's income was a good thing

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

If Bob makes sandwiches for eight years, and Joe likes them so he practices making sandwiches using Bob's recipes, but eventually comes up with his own recipes before he opens his business, and some of Bob's customers start buying sandwiches from Joe instead...  Is Joe a bad person for harming Bob's business?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:29 pm »

Yes, but the problem here is that Joe is not changing Bob's recipes. (As far as we know.)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:25 pm »

But he hasn't opened up the business yet.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »

Joe sure knows how to start up a lively discussion, though - And in Bob's own dining area!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »

Still, I don't think Bob minds us talking about the pros and cons of the sandwich, especialy when Joe's sandwich may have a nice wrapper, but Bob's tastes so much better. You can try to copy a sandwich from taste, but without recipie, it will take some time, and by then Bob has decided to add avicado!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25