Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69082 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »

I think it's obvious if this is for reals then it's a clone. Or at least wants to be a poor man's Dwarf Fortress. Even small things like skill level names are the same. And I don't like this.

Okay, as for the Implaer[WrG] situation. You have to be a class A jackass to go on someone's forum and start telling fans to not donate to him. I mean, Toady lives off donations. If someone else tries to take his creation that he gives away for free, well that would make you a jack ass. Toady works very hard. At least let the man get his donations.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

From the sounds of it he fully intends to change it all later - while Dwarf Fortress is his inspiration and he's just copying DF stuff at this stage (pre-alpha), the engine is his primary focus now.

The end goal seems to be a 3D-DFlike game with some refinements to the complexity (less skills etc). I can get behind that. Of course at this point it may never see a release

I think it is once again important to repost from his blog:
I値l make this the primary point of early development: make it as easy to learn and use as possible. Mouse support is also a must. So at first I値l probably implement stuff exactly as I see it in Dwarf Fortress, but changing the interface a lot.

One important aspect is that this is a personal project. I am coding for myself right now, with no intention to sell anything or release the project under any form. For now. Maybe later I値l try something. Maybe I値l release it as freeware. Maybe I値l charge huge amounts of money and never makes one single dime from it. Maybe I値l release the source code and make it open source. But right now, I値l be only developing once in a while and post on this blog about my progress. I would like to thank the developers of Dwarf Fortress, not only for entertaining me, but for giving me the inspiration to try my teeth on something like this. Also, if the developers of Dwarf Fortress feel that my personal little project (that could evolve in any possible direction) makes it harder for them to promote their own work, I'm open for discussion. But I think there is room in the world for more than one city/cave builder with dwarves inside.

He doesn't want to step on Toady's toes

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2011, 01:47:37 am »

This may just be a case where he should have posted fewer screenshots.

The various Quake games use a very well-established map format, so a lot of projects use it.  It makes sense that if you are just running an engine test, hey, why not screw around with the high-quality maps that someone else already made?  If you already own Quake 2, why not use the official ones?  From a developer standpoint, that's a perfect starting place for your project.  You won't be making derivative works of them for the final version, it doesn't infringe on anything, and it doesn't mean you're trying to copy the game you're using resources from.

...But it's dumb to post screenshots of it.  "Hey guys this is my FPS, it was inspired by Quake 2, and here's a screenshot of it running Quake 2's first level, and using Quake 2's weapon models"
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2011, 01:47:07 pm »

The various Quake games use a very well-established map format, so a lot of projects use it.  It makes sense that if you are just running an engine test, hey, why not screw around with the high-quality maps that someone else already made?  If you already own Quake 2, why not use the official ones?  From a developer standpoint, that's a perfect starting place for your project.  You won't be making derivative works of them for the final version, it doesn't infringe on anything, and it doesn't mean you're trying to copy the game you're using resources from.

Yeah. The remaining question is how much of the DF feature set in general he still plans to use, even if the content itself is different. However, judging by the quote, he's just doing this as a personal project, so it really doesn't matter that much.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »

Quote from: Tilla
I think it is once again important to repost from his blog:
I値l make this the primary point of early development: make it as easy to learn and use as possible. Mouse support is also a must. So at first I値l probably implement stuff exactly as I see it in Dwarf Fortress, but changing the interface a lot.

One important aspect is that this is a personal project. I am coding for myself right now, with no intention to sell anything or release the project under any form. For now. Maybe later I値l try something. Maybe I値l release it as freeware. Maybe I値l charge huge amounts of money and never makes one single dime from it. Maybe I値l release the source code and make it open source. But right now, I値l be only developing once in a while and post on this blog about my progress. I would like to thank the developers of Dwarf Fortress, not only for entertaining me, but for giving me the inspiration to try my teeth on something like this. Also, if the developers of Dwarf Fortress feel that my personal little project (that could evolve in any possible direction) makes it harder for them to promote their own work, I'm open for discussion. But I think there is room in the world for more than one city/cave builder with dwarves inside.

He doesn't want to step on Toady's toes

It's exactly that bolded part that bugs me. A professional, even doing amateur work, would have asked. He's all "Lalala doing this, hope you don't care, lalalalala."

He didn't even bother to find out before happily ripping away. That sounds like a lame ass excuse to head off accusations at the pass. Toady wouldn't go on to someone else's page and go demanding they ask his permission.....but the guy clearly didn't bother to find out either. Were he a DF fan, and not some mook who immediately saw something he could use for himself, he would have asked I'm sure.

And besides. Virtually any developer's answer to "Can I rip your entire game for my own purposes and use it as a jumping off point for my own game" is "fuck no."

I like that he's even got the balls to say "I'm willing to discuss the future of this ripped project if you don't like it." Not "If this upsets you, please let me know and I'll stop." As though what he's doing is completely natural, like the resources came off of wiki or something and don't belong to someone else.

I get no sense of real respect for the work he's using, from this guy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:54:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

I gotta go with Nejin here. It's just unprofessional and pretty stupid to take someone's idea and "discuss" it if the guy has a problem with it. If I were in Toady's position I would sue this guy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »

Why are people debating an issue that isn't even a confirmed issue yet?

At the end of the day, we're all followers of the great Toady and don't wanna see him ripped off.  We don't even know if that's the intent here though.  Give it 6 months or so, then check back :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »

People must thrive on drama... I see no big deal here.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2011, 02:14:14 am »

Please continue posting gents, this is quite amusing.
Hello Hunam

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2011, 07:30:16 am »

Let's voice out the worst case scenario.

3D game is released, it's basically DF in 3D with super awesome graphics, easy gameplay, and lots and lots of fun and hfs.

People leave ASCII DF to play super-awesome-evolving-3D DF.

Less donations. Less income. Toady has to get a job, has less time to work on DF. 3D DF overtakes 2D DF, less people play 2D DF except for us fan..men. And ladies.

In any case, my opinion is that this guy is a cheap whore with no creativity. Why make a direct DF Clone (Notice the Pig Tail Seeds, I mean, really.) when you can create a whole new game, with similar mechanics?

Rather than having dwarves, pig tails and giant eagles (presumably), have Ki'zkor, Glowing Mushroom Plants and Rocs.

It's not so much the outright pat-of-the-ball-sack, followed decisively by a T-bagging of his cat, that this guy is planting on Toady and Threetoe, but the complete lack of creativity and originalness.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:45 am »

3D game is released, it's basically DF in 3D with super awesome graphics, easy gameplay, and lots and lots of fun and hfs.
You failed to tell me how that's bad for me?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »

If the creator is getting all his/her (good) ideas from DF, when DF stops he/she will be at a large disadvantage and further development will hit a brick wall.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2011, 01:15:42 pm »

...Actually, I was thinking it bad because we wouldn't had 2D DF any more. Or, at least, much slower rates of development.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:55 pm »

...Actually, I was thinking it bad because we wouldn't had 2D DF any more. Or, at least, much slower rates of development.
Because people decided they like 3D more?  The only way 2D would stop developing is if the public, mostly us, decide that we like 3D so much we'll support that.  The fact that we'd be supporting it means that we enjoy it more.  Sure there will be stragglers to those who still play the one that "loses", but a more significant portion wouldn't care.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »

Good graphics make games a pain in the ass to modify/customize...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25