Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69099 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2011, 02:42:03 pm »

If this guy's as fanatical of a programmer and game developer as Toady, I don't see why he wouldn't just go make his own original project, anyway.
As a programmer, I can tell you inspiration is not in all of us.  Toady has the inspiration, this guy may have the skills to complete.  You don't have to have both to be good at what you do.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2011, 03:20:39 pm »

To admit though... if your going to copy Dwarf Fortress I would think he would take advantage of having a much more limited scope to polish the other ideas.

Instead he is sort of concentrating on the most BORING parts of Dwarf Fortress...

It is like trying to make pepsi by replicating the taste of water

Just quoting myself from the other thread.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

most inivative games spawn a host of clones/ a genre eventually

Doom and Wolf - the FPS

Dune 1&2 - the rts

Rogue - the roguelike

Elite - spacesims

etc (yes you maybe able to pick older rts and fps originators that i have) RPG and TBS arguable evolved out of their table top counter parts.

It seems to me, that eventually DF may spawn a host of DF likes, we've already got at least 2, probably more. What dissapoints me with both this game, and goblin fortress, isnt borrowing the world sim, or colony mangement idea, but that they didnt consider using a new setting. Why not trying making a DF like game about drilling into asteroids to build a space colony?

Im not sure whether anyone will truely compete with DF and toady, largley because of the commitment factor toady has. DF as a game says alot about toady imo. What maketh the man? 8 years of stife for an ever elusive goal. 8 years of persistently high quality original imagination. Few have the capacity for this, and my guess is that people making DF likes arnt trying to compete, they just like what they see in DF and want to try it them selves.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »

Doom and Wolf doesn't really count sorta... Well ok I guess. Though Doom is more like an unofficial sequel.

Though Dune 1 and 2 definately arn't clones. (since they are almost nothing alike)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2011, 04:12:14 pm »

im trying to suggest that all genres started somewhere, at some point there was only one fps game, then there were loads, at some point there was only one rts then it became a genre. My game geekery isnt great enough to name the originals for each genre tho, and in some cases it is debated
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

im trying to suggest that all genres started somewhere, at some point there was only one fps game, then there were loads, at some point there was only one rts then it became a genre. My game geekery isnt great enough to name the originals for each genre tho, and in some cases it is debated

True, I definately would say Dune 2 is the father of the modern Real Time Strategy game.

Command and Conquor (that I can never spell) actually played almost exactly like Dune 2. (though I prefer Dune 2. It just has more imagination)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »

This isn't the problem. The problem isn't genre clones, it's complete content ripoff. Just making that super extra clear.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2011, 07:24:31 pm »

This isn't the problem. The problem isn't genre clones, it's complete content ripoff. Just making that super extra clear.

True. There are so many things the creator COULD have done to make this game their own.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2011, 07:26:59 pm »

Which he (probably?) will. Which makes the launch of his project seem poorly conceived.

It'll be interesting to see what his feature list is after Toady's next update. That will indicate to me whether he's in this to learn or just to make himself known.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2011, 12:24:04 am »

Which he (probably?) will. Which makes the launch of his project seem poorly conceived.

It'll be interesting to see what his feature list is after Toady's next update. That will indicate to me whether he's in this to learn or just to make himself known.

Personally if I had to make a clone... It would be Monster Rancher

I mean... I could even do the math.

Just not the coding. Why isn't there more monster rancher / Princess Maker games online? It seems relatively easy to do compared to some of the junk I see.

Heck the last Princess Maker Immitation I saw involved you training a young warrior.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2011, 12:27:38 am »

Hmm, now I can't seem to recall what it was called, but I remember some people were planning to make their own DF clone... In 2d side veiw. Just in case anybody is interested and/or knows the name.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2011, 12:28:40 am »

Hmm, now I can't seem to recall what it was called, but I remember some people were planning to make their own DF clone... In 2d side veiw. Just in case anybody is interested and/or knows the name.

Yeah it was a long time ago.

It didn't go anywhere.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:48 am »

As far as I know, they never do.
Hello Hunam

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »

Yeah it was a long time ago.

It didn't go anywhere.

That's still active, I think it's called Survivors of Ragnarok. They post regular updates on their IndieDB page and such. And no, it wasn't that long ago - first time there was a forum post about it was December at the earliest :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2011, 05:38:55 pm »

That's still active, I think it's called Survivors of Ragnarok. They post regular updates on their IndieDB page and such. And no, it wasn't that long ago - first time there was a forum post about it was December at the earliest :P

That's the one! They still going with that? I wanted to make sure it isn't too blatent of a rip off but forgot the name.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25