Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69018 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »

Well now that the stain of ungentlemanly behavior is gone I hereby praise the DwavesH creator.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

All hail more games in the Genre!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2011, 07:40:35 pm »

Well now that the stain of ungentlemanly behavior is gone I hereby praise the DwavesH creator.
I actually can't tell if this is a satirical statement.  If it is, that's amazingly well writ.  If not, it sounds sincere.  Awesome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »

I don't know why you're defending the inclusion of plump helmets specifically instead of, you know, all the other plants and such as well?
Maybe you missed the part where he said he used content from the Wiki to get things started?  (Maybe you didn't read, which seems to be the common denominator here: Having people judge a game based on videos without learning more...)

I think he actually means why I put special emphasis on plump helmets above everything else. Why I don't care about DF content except for plump helmets. Well, they are probably the key of early success for a lot of new players.

But yes, I do get the impression that a lot of people do not read anything and just give opinions. I am not talking about this forum, but the way  things work in general on the Internet.

Actually, it was kind of ironic, since he evidently didn't read the very next sentence I said:

Granted, you went into that elsewhere, and if the DF content is a placeholder (at least the content that can be easily replaced), then hey, not much of a problem there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

I actually can't tell if this is a satirical statement.  If it is, that's amazingly well writ.  If not, it sounds sincere.  Awesome.

Well, it was sincere. But I also was pretty disappointed with the way this got out of hand.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »

eh, it's sad, but it's also expectable and understandable. i'm glad this got reasonable, and i think the forum redeemed itself

people who only viewed your video and didn't bother to read your blog
i think it's a good thing that i have severe download limits, then, it makes me immune to this phenomenon

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2011, 10:31:19 pm »

As a programmer, it infuriates me when someone goes to insinuation of thievery when talking about another developer's work.  I've already stated I don't believe ideas should be owned and I still feel that only the code itself should be protected unless the developer decides otherwise.

I'll admit that my tone was harsh, but I still have my convictions toward the whole thing.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:39 am »

Sorry if I made my post sound too negative.  I was mostly trying to point at the fact that YouTube is a more widely viewed medium than any blog, so it would have been a fair idea to acknowledge DF there in anticipation of the people who won't read your blog. 

The issue is that I only use YouTube as a free method of video posting for my blog. As you can see, some effort went into giving a good design to the blog, but the YouTube page is pretty much default. But things got out of hand when I started to give some information there and actually listen to the request of showing what my progress is. I’ll consider if I keep YouTube a main communication channel or not. I’ll still keep posting videos.

...And why in the world did you capitalize the "H" in Dwarvesh?  That bugs the heck out of me.

The “H” is an abbreviation and a somewhat juvenile internal joke. Since I seem to have taken on the alias of DwarvesH, I would rather not give more information regarding the meaning of the term :).

It's pretty clear you're not as informed on DF as I think we all assumed. Let's just say you're not the first person who has tried to do this. While your project ideas may be your own, your approach is not. You're not the first person that has creavitely borrowed parts of Toady's design while doing their own work. Plump helmets are just an example, you've also got his skills format, the embark screen, and other features that seem directly cooked from what you found in DF and liked.

Well I have no obligation to be familiar with the entire history of DF and this community. It may be interesting trivia but nothing essential. I am becoming aware of the fact that this is probably not the first attempt of someone to implement the formula. And you seem to have had some negative experiences before. That is unfortunate and may color your expectations of other future attempts. What is essential is that I am aware of DF and Stonesense.

But don't be surprised at the hostility you can get, because you basically launched yourself with no real grasp of how this looks to parts of the DF  community.
I think you could have presented yourself much the same way, and gotten a much better reaction, if you'd taken the time to make some original, tangible content instead of using short cuts.

The interesting bit is that I did not launch myself and did not present myself to the community. There was no official launch. There wasn’t even an announcement regarding the new project. I was not at that stage yet. But the Internet has its own will and has yanked me from the comfort of my developer position and forced me to present myself prematurely. For all intents and purposes, I had just a development blog where I was documenting my progress and a few tools to track that. But I do care about what the community thinks and that is why I got involved here.

Like, have you even talked with Toady? You don't have to, no one's making you. But that would be the professional thing to do. Just a friendly "Hey, love your work, doing my own thing, ect...." To find out how he actually feels about what you're doing. The fact this thread was a mystery to you means you probably didn't.

No, and I have no intention to contact him at this moment. I am sure he is busy and doesn’t like to be bothered by random people. Especially if those people have things to say that can be interpreted at first glance as “I am making my own DF”. A good time for contacting would be after I decided on the release schedule and a few weeks before going public. There is always the risk of me abandoning this project for something cooler and more challenging technically. If the project gets to a stage close to releasable, that risk is practically zero.

Second, I can understand the placeholders.  Of course you're going to change it later.  It just...  seems a bit strange to to use these particular placeholders.  While it gives flavor to the world, whereas saying "Mushroom Plant" might not be as good as "Plump Helmet", it still bothers me.  It's like making a game about an Italian Plumber named Mario who uses Fire Flowers and jumps on Goombas.  It's not Super Mario Bros, and could even be a strategy game, but the use of names is just very uncanny.

The problem is that a lot of people cannot put themselves in the mind set of an engine developer. Using DF data is not just a good idea. It is the best and most pragmatic one. While you may see DF as a game, computers and more precisely my engine sees it as a giant set of verified test data. Some technology out there offers official test cases, like Unicode and SVG to name a few. And so does the “civ simulation with dwarves genre” with DF.

And while it is obvious and I have always admitted that some items, like plants, are directly taken from DF, it is not their name that makes them a borrowed item. The engine does not care about names. The reason why my plump helmets are the same as DF’s plump helmets is because they have the same properties. They are both purple underground mushrooms that grow fast in all seasons and can be brewed. Names only scratch the surface and are largely inconsequential.

i'm betting when dwarvesh's project is released, df will have moved a few steps toward procedurally generated content, and will no longer have any stock plants, making dwarvesh's the only game featuring plump helmets(if he ends up including them as a reference)

Actually, I have this idea lined up for a “Total chaos” mode. I thought it would be fun to add it and it would take the game back to more rogue-like roots. When activating this mode a huge warning would pop up because there is no way to balance it. The idea is to randomize both item looks and properties. You may very well wind up with a world where your previous source of food is now poisonous. And you have no way to determine the properties of items except the experimental one. Obviously, such a niche feature will be at the end of the development cycle if ever.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:57 am »

Obviously, such a niche feature will be at the end of the development cycle if ever.
You say 'niche feature', I say 'one primary draw of the game'.  :)  If/when that gets implemented, you can bet that you'll get a large base of people who use it exclusively, and consider it the only 'real' way to play.  It would be niche compared to games as a whole, yeah, but within your game's community I'd expect it to be pretty darn prevalent and a great way to snag new players.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:08 am »

Well I have no obligation to be familiar with the entire history of DF and this community. It may be interesting trivia but nothing essential. I am becoming aware of the fact that this is probably not the first attempt of someone to implement the formula. And you seem to have had some negative experiences before. That is unfortunate and may color your expectations of other future attempts. What is essential is that I am aware of DF and Stonesense.

As a quick overview, there was a project named Khazad where someone turned a DF viewer into a DF clone, and told people to give money to him rather than to Toady.  I believe there was also some shady business about reverse engineering the game, but the story on what was happening there seemed less coherent.  Needless to say, it didn't go over well, and the idea of something this similar to DF (in appearance if nothing else) is somewhat soured in peoples minds.

Thanks for coming in a clearing up what was going on, and best of luck with the project in the future.  It's good to know that the copied content is only temporary.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:29 am »

Obviously, such a niche feature will be at the end of the development cycle if ever.
You say 'niche feature', I say 'one primary draw of the game'.  :)  If/when that gets implemented, you can bet that you'll get a large base of people who use it exclusively, and consider it the only 'real' way to play.  It would be niche compared to games as a whole, yeah, but within your game's community I'd expect it to be pretty darn prevalent and a great way to snag new players.
i'll just leave this here

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »

As a quick overview, there was a project named Khazad where someone turned a DF viewer into a DF clone, and told people to give money to him rather than to Toady.  I believe there was also some shady business about reverse engineering the game, but the story on what was happening there seemed less coherent.  Needless to say, it didn't go over well, and the idea of something this similar to DF (in appearance if nothing else) is somewhat soured in peoples minds.

Thanks for coming in a clearing up what was going on, and best of luck with the project in the future.  It's good to know that the copied content is only temporary.

The specifics were a LOT shadier with that case - the dude was actually reverse engineering, in the guise of a viewer, and he was a total dickhead about it.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2011, 01:22:11 pm »

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.  And I have long for more Dwarf Fortress/Dungeon Keeper like genre.
I wish you good luck, DwarvesH, your project looks like it will be something great!
One word of worry on your latest blog-post.  It looks like you transition to 3D (great for the reason you give), but won't it be difficult to add moving entities to it (the need to build a model for each, as oppose to a simple sprite)?

Hope to see your 3D engine demo soon!
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »

well, you can still use sprites on a 3d engine, though... and it looks great when done right.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »

i'll just leave this here
You're my new second best friend (after the guy who wrote it).  Thank you for pointing that out!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25