Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69119 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »

I would still play 2D Dwarf Fortress. It's what made me use my imagination. I can't go back to pictures. I can't. I won't.

But seriously Toady most likely would have a superior product. And the argument for the ease of modding is a good one.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2011, 07:31:45 pm »

Out of stubborness and spite I'd not play this clone, and out of loyalty I'd stick with 2D.

I've lost far too many children, wives, friends and annoying acquaintances here, to let it go so easily. For FREEDOM!

Shit, still a little bit of Braveheart in me. I just finished watching it.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2011, 08:24:49 am »

This may just be a case where he should have posted fewer screenshots.

The various Quake games use a very well-established map format, so a lot of projects use it.  It makes sense that if you are just running an engine test, hey, why not screw around with the high-quality maps that someone else already made?  If you already own Quake 2, why not use the official ones?  From a developer standpoint, that's a perfect starting place for your project.  You won't be making derivative works of them for the final version, it doesn't infringe on anything, and it doesn't mean you're trying to copy the game you're using resources from.

...But it's dumb to post screenshots of it.  "Hey guys this is my FPS, it was inspired by Quake 2, and here's a screenshot of it running Quake 2's first level, and using Quake 2's weapon models"

This is sounding like a pretty likely scenario. Indiscriminately copying the DF embark screen, including the Meat Menu, sounds like a really bad idea for a game. For a proof-of-concept type of thing, not so much. Ability to deal with twelve pages of meat products without crashing, although it hopefully isn't going to come up a lot, is still worth testing.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2011, 11:46:29 am »

subscribin the thread

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:11 pm »

I think the biggest thing that bothers me isn't the fact that he copied so much, it's the fact that he didn't acknowledge everything was inspired by DF until someone brought it up in the comments.  That seems a little underhanded to me, and it gives the impression that everything he has on there is original and made by him.  That not being the case, he's pretty much being dishonest.

But I have to agree that if something good comes out of this, more power to him.  I just dislike how he displayed "his" new creation without even a mention of what it was copying.  I think that's the main reason everyone's getting overly dramatic, here, not because some guy decided to copy everything about DF, slap on some graphics and post it on YouTube.  He passed off creativity as his own (Or appeared to) until accused of copying.

If he had made the video title, "Game Test (Inspired by Dwarf Fortress)", then I wouldn't have a problem with it.  As it is, he made up a name for his program and doesn't even mention DF.  Bad move, even if his intentions were/are honest, and he's basically screwed himself over if his intentions aren't honest.

We'll see how it plays out, or if he even keeps on working on his project.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »

it's the fact that he didn't acknowledge everything was inspired by DF until someone brought it up in the comments

It is such a copy I am almost sure it counts as an obvious copy.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2011, 09:15:02 pm »

http://dwarvesh.blogspot.com/2010/09/dwarvesh-development-has-started.html
assuming this is his first publication about the game, not counting any forum he might participate, he acknowledged the influence of df from the beginning.maybe he thought that anybody who reached his youtube video would already be familiar with his blog, so he probably didn't thought he needed to put a disclaimer

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »

Yah, KoF you are missing the whole part where the first time he ever showed off the game he acknowledges DF as the inspiration :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »

Which to admit since he is trying to appeal to players of Dwarf Fortress I think he thought saying it was inspired, or a dirrect copy, of dwarf fortress gone without saying.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »

I predict that this man will be strung by Dwarf Fortress fans, for all the town to see.

If my rhetoric gets off the ground I highly implore this act.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »

I don't think I'm missing the point.  YouTube has a much larger viewer base than any Blog ever will - I never mentioned his actual Blog, which I'm sure has some viewers, but I'd be surprised if more people have read his blog than seen the video.  The fact that you publish something on an even more public medium and don't make any effort to say, "It may like a certain game at the moment" is kind of odd.

It's like publishing something in a newspaper, and then having something similar run on TV with less information, expecting people to run off to the newspaper to find out the whole story.  And not even referring to the newspaper in question.  More people watch TV than read the paper, so a greater number of people are only going to get the partial, incomplete and somewhat misleading story.  It just seems wrong to me - And understand that I'm not trying to bash on the guy for what he's doing, I'm just unsatisfied with the way he's going about it.

Edit: Reading the comments, though, he does admit that DwarvisH is a 100% DF clone.  That also leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the fact that he leaves it up in the air about whether he'll make money or not makes me question his ulterior motives with this program.  Even if he's not doing it intentionally, it doesn't look like he wouldn't complain if he made some of the cash that was going towards Toady.  That seems wrong, to me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:45:18 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:03 pm »

the thing is, youtube serves as a video hosting site, i've had a few vids in my youtube account for a few years and they only have a couple dozen views... if i had a blog and wanted to share a video with my blog readers, i'd host it on youtube, and wouldn't think much of the rest of the youtube community.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2011, 12:07:30 am »

I don't think I'm missing the point.

How many people do think they're missing the point?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:38 am »

I don't think I'm missing the point.
Ooh, I can answer that.  None.  Apparently, folks here are taking this way too personally ... it's a freaking game.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

Touché.

I did do a poor job of explaining myself the first time - But my point still stands.  More people are going to watch a video about something than read an entire blog about it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25