Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bee Allergies  (Read 2027 times)

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bee Allergies
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:51 am »

Maybe it's simple.

If a bee swarm outbreaks, some dwarves should be allergic to their stings and die instantly.  Of course, those dwarves wouldn't be suitable to working with them.

Making this industry more... Delicate.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Allergies
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:11:50 am »

Of course, one would dread the inevitable attack of the bee man.

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:21:49 am »

"The mythological BEEMAN has arrived.  Protect your allergic dwarves!!!".

He can smell it. MUAHAHAHAHA.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:09:17 pm »

So long as trolls and goblins can also be allergic, I'd be happy.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:38:38 pm »

bee-based defenses?
i like

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »

Maybe it's simple.

If a bee swarm outbreaks, some dwarves should be allergic to their stings and die instantly.  Of course, those dwarves wouldn't be suitable to working with them.

"Random chance to die from a bee sting" is lame.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »

Urist McBeekeeper interrupted: bee's unleashed!
Urist McAllergy has been struck down!

Bee McBee: Mehehehehe!!!! That's what you get for stomping on those pretty daisies!!!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:39 pm »

I guess with syndromes I could do this for you. A syndrome that would, 1% of the time, cause instant and terminal brain rot.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »

Maybe it's simple.

"Random chance to die from a bee sting" is lame.

But that's what DF is all about. For example: your dorf gets 1 hit killed by a sucker punch from a greenskin.
It would be brilliant to have allergies in adventure mode, so that you'd start your game, take 5 steps, get stung by a bee and die. That's one of the great things about DF, it's realistic in that way.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:46:27 am »

As long as not all allergies are instantly lethal depending on the dwarf, there could be more than just bee-sting allergies...
Absconditus

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:51:04 am »

Oh I know how I could do this through modding! Why didn't I think of that before!
If I have four castes of dwarf, two normal, and two with a extra poisen class, and then have been stings only affect that poisen class, then I can make those castes of dwarfs instantly killable by bee sting. I can 100% do this just how you want!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:03:11 pm »

Yeah, I was about to point that out.  There was a lot of talk when .31.01 came out about how castes could make birth defects and the like, as well, basically by just weighting the standard dwarf to be a thousand times more likely, and then dwarves with deformed limbs or something being rarer.

The only thing is that eventually, your dwarf raws start to become 50 pages long and utterly illegible with all the castes you throw in.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »

Yeah, I was about to point that out.  There was a lot of talk when .31.01 came out about how castes could make birth defects and the like, as well, basically by just weighting the standard dwarf to be a thousand times more likely, and then dwarves with deformed limbs or something being rarer.

The only thing is that eventually, your dwarf raws start to become 50 pages long and utterly illegible with all the castes you throw in.
That's because people don't know about the select caste tool. I could do this adding only 6 lines to the dwarf raws.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 06:51:13 pm »

Well, that depends on how many castes you make, and how drastic the changes are.

When I made some custom castes, I wound up making critters that interbred, but had different sizes, body parts, attributes, colors, personality trait probabilities, pretty much everything, just to try to make each caste as different from the others as I could make them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »

Ah, well if your going to have what are almost new species in seperate castes, things will of corse be illedgable.
Pages: [1] 2