Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone remember Lionhead's "B.C"?  (Read 2848 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone remember Lionhead's "B.C"?
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:24:16 am »

http://www.gamezone.com/news/item/mankind_fights_to_survive_in_b_c_a_game_where_dinosaurs_rule_the_world/

Just look at those screenshots. *Sigh*... Talk about someone finally deciding to design my ideal sandbox game, then go and bloody abandon it. :(

JP: Operation Genesis is the closest anyone has come to making a prehistoric ecosystem sandbox, and that's only in "Site B" mode, not even the main mode of gameplay. Is it really so niche to want to watch herds of Parasaurs wading through lake shallows, while mother Ceratops tend to their nests along the shore and jumpy little Oviraptors dance amongst the dangerous guardians hoping to steal a few eggs from the sand?

Well I guess it is niche, but... gah. I wouldn't care what the actual goal of the game is, just as long as it simulated the animals and I could choose to just sit there and watch them.

Or better yet; be one. How cool would that be? A dinosaur survival RPG! Find enough food to stay alive, avoid predators (or chase down prey), defend territory from rivals, join hunting packs or migrating herds, find a mate to continue the game after you get old and die, and all the while, the world around you carries on living, breeding, fighting, dying. You know, what Spore should have been like.

If I ever manage to get into game dev for real, something like that would easily become my life's goal. I'd do the animating, and probably texture work, but the AI is what would interest the heck outta me. Shame I don't have a brain for code stuff. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember Lionhead's "B.C"?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:35:06 am »

Omg I was thinking about this the other day and makeing a post on it :P, but it's a shame it never went through development.

I waited years for this game :'( only to find out it had been axed by lion head :( damn I would have bought that game no matter how buggy just because of the concepts which were in it!!

I like the bit where your tribe would continue on and they would have Children and then you would go up the tec tree and get like axe's and new houses and stuff. And Fight The EVIL tribe!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 05:59:19 am »

And what we got was... Spore.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:50 am »

Anyone remember when Lionhead felt genuinly creative and that they were going to bring new gaming mechanics to the world at large?

Whatever happened to that?

Anyone remember when Maxis was good?

Right now I put Lionhead into the pile of Fallen Gaming Companies (I am well aware that they are a branch of Microsoft...) alongside Maxis and Koei.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:03:16 am »

Those don't have anything to do with each other.

BC would have sucked if it came out, it was more of Peter Molyneux's mouth writing checks his devteam couldn't cash (Is that something people still say?  I think the last time I heard it was on Rocket Power)
Shoes...

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 12:46:06 pm »

Anyone remember when Lionhead felt genuinly creative and that they were going to bring new gaming mechanics to the world at large?

Whatever happened to that?

Anyone remember when Maxis was good?

Right now I put Lionhead into the pile of Fallen Gaming Companies (I am well aware that they are a branch of Microsoft...) alongside Maxis and Koei.

Yeah yeah, blah blah, Maxis might have been good back in the day. Developers come and go; time to move on. But one thing always stays the same, people sure love nostalgia and remember how "things used to be good back in the day"  ::)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »

"“The game features a fully simulated eco system of creatures taken from the realm of B Movie prehistory,” said Joe Rider, one of the directors at Intrepid. “You are in territorial competition with every other living entity in the world map, so naturally your encampment is not safe for any predator.” "

It would have been similar to Science Spore. Instead we got Stupid Cute Spore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:12 pm »

Yeah yeah, blah blah, Maxis might have been good back in the day. Developers come and go; time to move on. But one thing always stays the same, people sure love nostalgia and remember how "things used to be good back in the day"

It isn't so bad when something comes to fill in the gap.

When Bullfrog fell we had a replacement (The people who made Rollercoaster Tycoon).

It is sad to me when I have to say goodbye to something that will never come around again in any worthwhile form.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »

I'd love a "tribal" game. It's been so long since there's been a decent one out.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:02:16 pm »

It is sad to me when I have to say goodbye to something that will never come around again in any worthwhile form.

There there.. lots of fish in the sea. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find a new one sooner or later. :)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »

Lionhead has never been a good company, they've been better and worse at times sure but they've never been more then the emaciated corpse of Bullfrog people keep expecting to suddenly spring to life and bring back The Good Ole' Days.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »

i thought black and white 1 was fun, but i woulda loved BC, except as someone said before, the dev team couldnt make the game and so it was axed. not the first game where the dev team tried to fullfill peter moly's talk, and it probably failed a year or so into dev with all kinds of broken shit ^_^

too bad.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »

"“The game features a fully simulated eco system of creatures taken from the realm of B Movie prehistory,” said Joe Rider, one of the directors at Intrepid. “You are in territorial competition with every other living entity in the world map, so naturally your encampment is not safe for any predator.” "

It would have been similar to Science Spore. Instead we got Stupid Cute Spore.

It was Lionhead.  Have they ever not Spored us?
Shoes...

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »

Isn't there a crysis mod that's in production to bring us our fix of dino killing?

What I'd give for a decent Turok style FPS with modern graphics [e: and non broken AI] .

Explosive arrows. The cerebral bore...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:00:39 pm by SquidgyB »

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »

i remember reading about this in an cross box magazine about half a decade ago, maybe more.

You were going to be able to interact with any object in the game etc....

It just never materialised, didnt really know why until this thread, but it wasnt difficult to guess.

hmm Lionhead, BW1 was sooo good, BW2 soooo bad. As a studio i think they lost their balls, do they still exist? or have they been swallowed by a larger company.

also this thread makes me feel old

who remembers early screens of halo for PC (before it switched to cross box) it had dinosaws too, Dinosoursre going to be all the rage on cross box, then turok (3 i think) sucked and maybes everyone decided dinosours notgood, but now we have some indie comming (i forget its name) with dinosours and people shooting them.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: [1] 2