Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: war dogs  (Read 1202 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
war dogs
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »

im making my army and i now have 16 war dogs and a bunch of puppys and i wanna know if like 30 war dogs would be enough to do really good or are they really that weak against armed goblins?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: war dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »

They might get a lucky hit, but dog's aren't really that strong. They are good meat shields, though.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »

lets say i have a 100 dogs versus 10 well armed goblins, who do you think will win?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »

If the Goblins are Armored (even with Copper Armor), the Dogs can`t really hurt them much, except for an occasional chomp on an unprotected target area. On the other hand, they can indeed HOLD the Gobbos and encumber them while your Melee Dwarves kill them rather easily.
Never pet a burning dog.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

I would recommend butchering all those dogs and do some trading with the elves.  YES!  Trade with the elves and try to get grizzly bears, elephants, and giant cats.  They make much better war beasts.  If those dirty elves are good for one thing, it is getting the exotic critters without needing a Dungeon Master.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »

A trained grizzly bear can bite through chain mail armor.  Regular dogs are more like common wrestler dwarfs.  In and of themselves, they don't do much damage, but they have the capacity to bite and hold an opponent, which keeps them stationary while your real soldiers chop them apart.  If you're doing it right, a few expendable (soap maker) wrestlers can grab a goblin while an archer pegs them full of bolts.  The wrestler will get hurt or dead, but usually do a modest job of wrestling the target down.

Wrestlers and dogs are both pretty weak, but good at fleshing out the weak spots in your army.  Don't rely on them for anything significant.

EDIT: Assign war dogs to treecutters and haulers.  Every time you get "Urist cancels fell tree: Interrupted by groundhog" you can expect the war dog to kill the groundhog and deal with that problem.  If you're lucky, a war dog or two will stall a goblin ambush long enough for their owner to escape.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:42:20 pm »

Build a cage. Put all your war dogs in the cage and attach it to a lever. Next time rhesus macaques/racoons/kobold thieves appear, pull the lever. Watch all your war dogs chase down the rhesus macaques/racoons/kobold thieves. Then round them up and do it again!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

This is filed under "Stupid Dwarven Trick" in the wiki as "Doberman Bomb".  You just put all your animals in a cage, and link that cage to a pressure plate.  When it goes off, an explosion of fluffy passion and then bloodshed.  It'll... well, it'll make the enemy waste time slaughtering kittens!

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »

i'd rather put freaking bears in the cage so when the enemies arrive they get ripped to pieces

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

I don't know, I tried bringing 41 war dogs on a reclaim and they did a good enough number on a hydra that my dwarfs easily reclaimed it the next time.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:10:34 pm »

I don't know, I tried bringing 41 war dogs on a reclaim and they did a good enough number on a hydra that my dwarfs easily reclaimed it the next time.

Hydras aren't armored. Dogs are fine against unarmored opponents... and marginally useful against armored foes (because they can bite and hold them while someone else kills them).
Never pet a burning dog.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

Build a cage. Put all your war dogs in the cage and attach it to a lever. Next time rhesus macaques/racoons/kobold thieves appear, pull the lever. Watch all your war dogs chase down the rhesus macaques/racoons/kobold thieves. Then round them up and do it again!

What I always do, works wonders. I've seen 30 dogs rip apart 1-3 goblins easy enough with 1-2 casualties with this method.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »

The only armour I've ever seen goblins wear recently are shields, breastplates and caps.
So theoretically the dogs should grab hold and tear chunks out of goblins arms and legs if the goblins sufficiently outnumbered but yeah, they are quite weak now. Still great when they go chase down goblin and kobold thieves though.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.