Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unassign Work Dogs  (Read 3902 times)

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
Unassign Work Dogs
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

How do you go about unassigning an assigned war dog?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Unassign Work Dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:40 pm »

You don't.  Not even killing its owner will un-assign an assigned war dog.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »

Outstanding...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »

You can sorta-kinda preempt the issue by having the dwarf you want the animal assigned to be the one to train it. Trained animals tend to follow their trainer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

You don't.  Not even killing its owner will un-assign an assigned war dog.

And here I thought murder was a way to solve all problems in dwarf fortress except the inevitable tantrum spiral.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:14 pm »

And here I thought murder was a way to solve all problems in dwarf fortress except the inevitable tantrum spiral.
No, murder solves all problems. Especially tantrum spirals.

My solution to this would be to murder the animal.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:56:22 pm »

Magma, of course.  More of it.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »

Unassigned animals TEND to follow their trainer, yeah, but the war dogs in my last fort had other ideas. I was absolutely swimming in animals and wanted to cull my canine population a bit by letting war dogs "help" with siege defense. For three sieges in a row, the mutts who were normally perfectly fine with following their trainers around made themselves scarce just before the goblins hit the main entryway where the militia was stationed. I don't know if those were the most cowardly dogs I've ever had in DF, or simply the smartest. ;)

Gotta love this game.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 07:24:17 pm »

if the owner dies, I think it may be possible to reassign the dog, with the stocks menu, select the one that's assigned to the dead owner, and toggle slaughter on it, then toggle it back. Sometimes it becomes "available".

This also sometimes seems to work for pets of dead people.

Haven't had any in a recent game though, so not sure if it still happens in the current version.