Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Field-Testing the Orbital Defense System Mark-2. It works.  (Read 12548 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Field-Testing the Orbital Defense System Mark-2. It works.
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »

This is an excerpt from our DF thread on the Paradox Forum... I thought a few of you might find the weapon system interesting. My first large-scale Megaproject.

Full-up Trap Test #2 : This time for sure!

Finally! A chance to field-test my renovated Degoblinizer Mark-2 under virtually perfect conditions.

Four Snatchers set off my traps, and lured a Dwarf outside to recover the cages. The Goblins then sprang three Ambushes in rapid succession, with a Spear-Goblin quickly turning my Legendary Jeweller into a Dwarven shish-kabob.

That's OK, no problem... Dwarves are a renewable resource. It's good opportunities to test my Orbital Defense System that seem to be rare.

After killing my Jeweller, the Gobbos gather around my targetting graticule and examine it curiously... "What's this big X thing?"

They are about to find out.

The intruders... ten Gobbos and three Wolves:

... and directly overhead, the Magma:

I send a Dwarf into the Control Room, to pull the lever:

Here's a fortuitous stop-action picture of the Magma falling through the air, headed for the Gobbos:

It begins landing... as a bonus, the first few blobs of Magma land behind them, cutting off their retreat!

... then the main tidal-wave of Lava lands on top of them. Two of the Gobbos are instantly disabled, by full 7/7 blobs of Magma landing right on top of them. The others are forced back towards my Lava-filled moat.

One of the Gobbos actually drowns in Magma before he can be burned to death. He's the lucky one of the bunch...

... because the tidal-wave of Magma sweeps five of the Gobbos and two of the Wolves right into my Magma-filled moat!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...
Welcome to Thunderkeys, you bastards!
Hot enough fer ya?...
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

The remaining three Gobbos try to escape north-westwards, around the side of my tower...

... but I've already pulled the lever which controls the Magma-dump on that flank.

They are forced back against the tower wall, then cut off by lava flows.

The last remaining Wolf is running frantically through my flowing Lava with its head on fire...

... and the last Gobbo collapses, burned over every square inch of its body:

The Gobbos trapped in my Magma moat are now burning heavily, and giving off clouds of smoke...

"Ah... I love the smell of burning Goblins in the morning. It smells like... victory..."

The area around my Fort is a sea of flames, smoke and steam...

... and I only pulled TWO of the seven available Magma-drop levers!

I think we can call this a successful test. I GOT EVERY FRIGGIN' ONE OF THEM! None escaped.

Hopefully, the over-flow won't dam the river and drown us all... it's already filled the Pond and turned it into Obsidian.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:33:44 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Field-Testing the Orbital Defense System Mark-2. It works.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »

Overkill much?  Aside from the extreme dwarfiness of dropping lava upon enemies, I'm forced to question any plan that leaves the creator locked inside of a magma flood.  Perhaps you should attempt to build a series of hatches or grates along the ground, and channel out deep pits that feed the lava back into whatever source it came from?  This allows you to drain the field, and replenish your reserves a little bit faster.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:20 pm »

Overkill much?

Just often.

Aside from the extreme dwarfiness of dropping lava upon enemies, I'm forced to question any plan that leaves the creator locked inside of a magma flood.  Perhaps you should attempt to build a series of hatches or grates along the ground, and channel out deep pits that feed the lava back into whatever source it came from?  This allows you to drain the field, and replenish your reserves a little bit faster.

I took the precaution of setting up a second draw-bridge-sealed entrance (and a second set of Magma-drop hatches) around the other side of my fort... in case any Migrants showed up while the front of my fort was a sea of flames. Other than allowing Migrants in, there's really no need for me to maintain constant access to the surface... the fort is eleven years old, and has been self-sustaining for most of that time. I haven't cut any outdoor trees in six years, for instance.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:19:18 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:13 pm »

What will you do next? Crush hell under a giant obsidian war hammer?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:51 pm »

What will you do next? Crush hell under a giant obsidian war hammer?

I'd really LIKE to set up a Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo... but getting my hands on the requisite Giant Cave Spider is gonna be a real nightmare. There are already NINE Forgotten Beasts running amok in my caverns, so that seriously cramps my GCS-hunting.

I can post the save of my fort if anyone wants to see how that Orbital Defense System was put together... it incorporates an 84-Waterwheel power-plant and a 137-level, dual-width pump-stack. DF 31.18, Mayday, no mods.
Never pet a burning dog.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

since no one else has said it so far, i will -

ridiculously awesome, man.  thanks for sharing!  good times, good times. =P
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »

*Insert win here*

I think you just won the game.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:17 pm »

I approve of this construction.  Especially as repeated uses of it should turn the surface world into a pleasing landscape of magma and ash, littered with the bones of your enemies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:21:08 pm »

It's just like Boatmurdered, except now with more flaming-rain-o'-doom. Epic!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:57 pm »

It's just like Boatmurdered, except now with more flaming-rain-o'-doom. Epic!

It's like Boatmurdered, but now with 1000 times less epic win fail!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:54 pm »

The prototype Degoblinizer Mark-1 was an Epic Fail attempt... it dropped Magma so slowly that it didn`t even inconvenience the invaders, much less kill them. So I dismantled it and used the valuable experience gained to build the Mark-2... a much more successful construction.

For my first real Megaproject, I`m pretty happy with it.
Never pet a burning dog.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:19:16 pm »

Blu Emu, imagine the goblins approaching your fortress, getting worried about the carbonized bones, of past seigers. Then as they get closer, noticing all the civilians lining its ramparts waving to them. What the gobbos do not realize, they are waiting to claim charcoal, for the annual barbeque.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 01:03:45 am »

That is awesome on so many levels
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 05:21:53 am »

That is awesome on so many levels
yes.
oh, btw, have you thought about making an enclosed border around basically the whole map? That would be pretty cool, just to somehow contain the magma.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:21 am »

There is one flaw with this.
What if a bunch of renegade magmamen decide to knock on your door?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them
Pages: [1] 2 3