Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tunnels connecting the moutain home and your fort.  (Read 2851 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tunnels connecting the moutain home and your fort.
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:49:53 pm »

I was thinking it could work something along the lines of you

get a announcement

it redirects your camera to a edge of the map and a few of the edge tiles start flashing with the digging animation then go away

it then leaves you to Finish the tunnel and connect it to a trade depot

and the this is where the dwarf traders come from and leave from

all the other races still have to come by over land

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnels connecting the moutain home and your fort.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »

I think I have observed elvish caravans leaving through the underground caverns when the gate was closed.

In any case, that kind of tunnels are quite an undertaking. One also has to take into account the benefits they would confer (safety, weather impunity, etc.) and it becomes clear that there should be some limitation to putting those on the map.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:47 pm »

Kind of doesn't matter either way if this happenes, but it's a cool little idea!

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »

i was thinking it would be based some what on what you trade to the dwarfs, how much you trade to them, your distance from a tunnel belonging to your civilization

it would take longer for it to show up based on how far you are from an pre built tunnel, or another dwarf town belonging to your civi

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:45:42 pm »

I like this idea, but there would have to be some way to "mark" map edges-these spawn outside critters, these spawn level X cavern creatures, these are part of the circus, these only spawn traders and minor critters that would reasonably be let into dwarves' tunnels and those one lets wander IN to said tunnels, etc.

Also, it would be cool if a goblin siege that took one fort would disguise itself as dwarven traders and take fort after fort...or if an FB you let in the tunnel to the Mountainhome destroyed everysettlement on the way...etc.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:27 pm »

It might be a bit of a game changer, after all, lets say your going through a siege and a Dorf Caravan comes. BOOM! starvation gone. BOOM! logs appear. BOOM!....i don't know what that boom was for...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

tunnels should only appear when your settlement is large enought. they should be designated by the player the location, and should have a small chance of spawning goblin seiges throught them, but not disguised. etc. depending on how old the fort is and how old the tunnel is. the older the tunnel, the stronger the foes that may spawn from it. since its had more time to let stuff in.

could be interesting to let dwarves attempt a mountain heart settlement. ie: instead of embarking above ground, you embark in the tunnels/underground to a location and start in the cavern layer 1 but cant see the surface untill you dig to it.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:48:27 pm »

tunnels should only appear when your settlement is large enought. they should be designated by the player the location, and should have a small chance of spawning goblin seiges throught them, but not disguised. etc. depending on how old the fort is and how old the tunnel is. the older the tunnel, the stronger the foes that may spawn from it. since its had more time to let stuff in.

could be interesting to let dwarves attempt a mountain heart settlement. ie: instead of embarking above ground, you embark in the tunnels/underground to a location and start in the cavern layer 1 but cant see the surface untill you dig to it.

That would be cool. Though it most likely means you wouldn't get trade from humans or elves, as I doubt dwarves would willingly let non-dwarves use their tunnels, or if they do it would be with a hefty toll. I don't know how goblin sieges would get into the tunnels unless they took over a fortress that's connected to the network. Maybe they could get in if you had a fortress connected that was abandoned, but otherwise they would have to conquer another dwarven fort.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »

I am strongly tempeted to agree with this one, under one condition.
It is known that goblins, too, like tunnels. I suggest that goblins would also start comming out of your trade tunnel, just to be sure that you can't just lock yourself away from the world and still get trade.

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:28 am »

I am strongly tempeted to agree with this one, under one condition.
It is known that goblins, too, like tunnels. I suggest that goblins would also start comming out of your trade tunnel, just to be sure that you can't just lock yourself away from the world and still get trade.
This'd likely be a non-issue once siegers digging is implemented.

Overall, I like this idea. It would work well if caravans from individual mountainhomes come down different tunnels each a la the caravan arc.
Absconditus

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:34:52 am »

2nd look

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:56:39 am »

Considering the incredible length of the tunnels, especially if they're 5-10 spaces wide, maybe a few z tall, and probably smoothed, if not engraved... that'd be a crazy undertaking, especially since there'd need to be food and living quarters all along the way for the workers. Now, if whatever arc the vehicles are in implemented construction equipment...

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:29 am »

I think I have observed elvish caravans leaving through the underground caverns when the gate was closed.

I've seen them doing this for no discernible reason.  Funny thing is that I was walling off the cavern and they timed it just right so I walled off one elf from the other one that I saw leaving this way.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:00:08 am by Unfrozen Caveman »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:44 am »

^^^ your mean.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:53 am »

^^^ your mean.
...is average.

Grammar aside (it's "you're", short for "you are", and in my accent that's not even a homonym with the "belongs to you"=>"your"!), history is surely capable of being littered with dwarven strongholds, connected by tunnels, which may or may not be invaded by others (or just abandoned by the dwarves) so there's plenty of scope for other tunnel-lovers to wander in.  Whether goblins or FBs.  On the whole, the Circus tends to be (intended to be, at least) a deal-breaker for a fort that taps into it, so I don't know whether Clowns should be coming through the tunnels.  But maybe the occasional one (as I've seen above-ground on an Adventure Mode occasion, ironically in a dwarven settlement which was just the stairwell-lined hole in the ground and a couple of otherwise blanked-off central access ramp-rooms below the centre.  No sign of any breach into the Big Top) would be considered along the same order of dangerousness as solo FBs are.

Old-style dwarven tunnels (which I've not seen many of, since the caverns came about) also used to bridge (sometimes strangely, uselessly or even impossibly) the various rifts, bottomless pits, etc, which existed before the advent of caverns.  I don't know if current tunnels would wander through tunnels (but with walled off sides to protect them), but they'd be open to at least flying cave-life falling onto them and causing a nuisance.

So, imagine a SimCity2000 (I think, I may have got my versions mixed up) version of sending your powerlines/water/highways to the edge of the map and getting the opportunity to link them to the neighbouring region (which you could be playing in parallel) in order to export excess power or import much needed water.  Except that I like the idea that it isn't the player's choice, but that after a certain amount of Reputation, the Mountainholm engineers, architects and diggers send a spur of the existing tunnel network towards your embark site, there's a break-through made into your bordering tiles (hopefully engineered, by game or external dwarfs, to avoid the spot you're busy venting water or magma away from) and it's your job to make a properly constructed roaded-tunnel from there to your Depot (or a depot, at least).  Much as per the old "build us so much road, and we'll promote you" thing.

And it might not even be possible to do, depending on where it happens.  Or be difficult and need reorganising of reservoirs and things. That'd be part of the fun. :)

An interesting idea, anyway.

And the other option mentioned might even allow embark into full-mountain (or undersea?) biomes, with the previously given caveat that you wouldn't see the surface at all (except for a "damp" hint for the undersea, of course, when you dug up to it), where an existing dwarf tunnel already existed, or you were allowed to migrate via the caverns.  The tunnels/caverns of entry being the 'initially revealed' open space, instead.  (Would probably need some recoding, depending on whether Toady normally has "outside==revealed" equivalence, hard-coded.)
Pages: [1] 2 3