Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?  (Read 4235 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »

I give my dwarves a door, bed, and cabinet.  As resources permit, I add something fanciful like a fantastic rope with a bear on it, or something.  Dwarves like bears!  Or an armor stand or weapon rack or something, just something to further improve the value of their room to make them happier.  In general though, dump your effort into the dining hall, that's what makes or breaks a fort.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 06:18:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I usually just do this as soon as I start.
The giant gaps in the middle sections are to be dug out and glassed to make zoos and aquariums and stuff.
I am so using that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

I usually just do this as soon as I start.
The giant gaps in the middle sections are to be dug out and glassed to make zoos and aquariums and stuff.
I am so using that.

If a fort's suppost to look like that I SERIOUSLY screwed up somewhere.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

unfortunately, I usually end up getting so into my housing areas I totally neglect everything else and let all my dwarves die, but...I think it looks economic.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

4 squares, one for a door to the hall. Bed, cabinet, coffer, door. That will provide for any dwarven peasant need. Never put the table and chair in their bedroom, that's what legendary dining halls are for.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »

unfortunately, I usually end up getting so into my housing areas I totally neglect everything else and let all my dwarves die, but...I think it looks economic.
I don't like making dwarves go through someone else's bedroom to get to their own. so considering your 2-deep layout, I'll just give each dwarf a bedroom and an office/living area

EDIT: And I'll channel through the big center columns, and put waterfalls or magmafalls or something going through, with clear glass windows at the back of every dwarf's house to see it. it will be amazing.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »

What I thought up was a MultiZLevel Aparment with 3x3 identical rooms wich could house a good bit of dorfs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:38 pm »

That's basically what I'm using.  3x3 rooms, made into blocks of 4, with hallways in a grid pattern.  Not the most size-efficient housing, but it works for me, and I tend to believe that the extra leg room makes them bright and chipper.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »

I don't like making dwarves go through someone else's bedroom to get to their own. so considering your 2-deep layout, I'll just give each dwarf a bedroom and an office/living area

EDIT: And I'll channel through the big center columns, and put waterfalls or magmafalls or something going through, with clear glass windows at the back of every dwarf's house to see it. it will be amazing.
Yeah... That was originally going to be individual dining rooms, but I decided to scrap that idea.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

There are more fort designs than there are people who play this game. Don't worry about it if your fort isn't really fancy, doesn't use diagonals or circles in its hallways or chambers, or things like that. Making complicated designs is a lot easier once you discover macros, either through use of the ingame macro system or things like QuickFort.

My current design is like this:
It's fairly fancy :D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:21 pm »

There are more fort designs than there are people who play this game. Don't worry about it if your fort isn't really fancy, doesn't use diagonals or circles in its hallways or chambers, or things like that. Making complicated designs is a lot easier once you discover macros, either through use of the ingame macro system or things like QuickFort.

My current design is like this:
It's fairly fancy :D

WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST KICK ME IN THE SHIN?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:39 pm »

WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST KICK ME IN THE SHIN?
It helps that I designed that fort before I started even designating it. Lots of people just dig out areas of fort as needed (as I used to), but others (such as myself, now) design everything beforehand, which tends to make fancier, more efficient designs, though others prefer the more organic designs that the dig-as-you-go design make. Also, I tend to have a great deal of wasted space (and not just the massive decorative pits that make up most of my space) that isn't present so much in organically-grown fort designs.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

This is what I had in mind for my Apartments.
Highly modular, just like I like.
Also, My forts usually don't have anything that I don't need

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »

I like for my little bearded blighters to live well, so quarters are a must ... eventually. They are not a priority, though. I used to go with 3x3 now I've moved to 5x5, smoothed of course, with bigger rooms for special favourites like founders or craftsdwarves who are legendary in useful skills.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 07:08:48 pm »

It's not making the rooms that's the real problem, it's reassigning rooms when a dwarf dies, gets married, or becomes a noble, making a vacancy in another room which you then have to track down amongst the dozens of other rooms.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5