Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?  (Read 4229 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

In my forts it's usually Sleep-In-The-Dorms-Or-Meet-Our-Nice-Friend-The-Forgotten-Beast

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »

Beacuse its simple to make a houseing district?, All my peastent houses are only nine useable tiles, A door, And a bed
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »

It's even better to make a single tile room with just the bed for the specific dwarf, than having a common dorm. (I mean, in theory it's still a common dorm but at least each dwarf gets his own bed). It makes them happier than sleeping in turns in a barracks.

Now, if giving each dwarf their own chest and cabinet helps reduce clutter (not sure it does right now) it's also worth it. Too bad they mostly don't store their coins/unused clothing there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »

Macros.  I've got three macros.  One will dig out a living area, because my forts are modular and you can tile them on.  The second will place furniture, namely a bed, door, and cabinet.  The third will go in and make every bed into an unassigned bedroom.  I don't bother giving dorfs particular likes, unless they're likely to experience tragedy.  Like my master bonecrafter, who keeps popping out masterwork bone bolts, which are stolen by macaque, he'll always be mad because his masterworks are stolen, so I'll give him a cabinet out of his favorite material.  Same for military dwarves, since they're likely to make friends while training, and those friends die in battle.  Other than that, I use generic stone for generic dwarves.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:58:25 pm »

Oh, I planned on each commoner getting a chest, a bed, a table and a chair.

Am I jus too megagenerous?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:59:03 pm »

It helps if you dig out accommodation as soon as possible, then assign it as dwarves come in. It's easier to give rooms to 7 dwarves, then 4 dwarves, then 5 dwarves, then 20 dwarves (and so on) than to give rooms to 130 dwarves all at once.

Personally my rooms have a bed, coffer, cabinet and door.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »

Oh, I planned on each commoner getting a chest, a bed, a table and a chair.

Am I jus too megagenerous?

Yes, Eventually once I finish the somewhat roomy houses I make a slum
Code: [Select]
WBW
WDW

W=Wall
B=Bed
D=Door
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:58 pm »

I just use quick fort. Way easier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:19 pm »

I intentionally don't give them a place to eat, because then they go to the dining hall.  Since everyone eats, then everyone must visit the dining hall, and it's easy to make that dining hall out of platinum tables with a waterfall in the doorway.  That way, everyone gets happy from that one room.

The chest is currently useless (aside from adding room value) because it's purpose is to hold finished goods, like mugs and rings, but those are only used in Dwarven Economy, which hasn't worked for quite a while, so chests are only good to appease nobles and fill hospitals.  Cabinets are useful because they hold clothes, instead of having clothes thrown all over the room.  Socks are serious business for dwarves.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »

Also, don't assign bedrooms.  Just make a bed, and make it a bedroom.  As soon as someone sleeps in it, they claim it as their bedroom and everything in it is attached to them automatically.  So, just build a lot of bedrooms and let the dwarves pick their own rooms.  Only marriage and changing noble status will cause a dwarf to own more than one bedroom.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »

But, I just can't put up with giving every dwarf just a little cramped room with nothing with a bed...

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:09:45 pm »

But, I just can't put up with giving every dwarf just a little cramped room with nothing with a bed...

There your peons! If they can't take it they need to dwarf up!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

Urist 101: Dwarven needs.

1) Booze.
2) A single bed.
3) Socks.
4) Waterfalls.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »

I usually just do this as soon as I start.
The giant gaps in the middle sections are to be dug out and glassed to make zoos and aquariums and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:14:47 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:28 pm »

But why not? It's not that much effort

A few woodworkers, each one producing the cabinets ect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5