Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?  (Read 4224 times)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 12:05:03 am »

I just make a grid of 3x3 rooms with bed, armour stand, weapon rack, cabinet and coffer. Dwarf becomes a book keeper I'll throw in a throne,
 mayor, extras on the others, and a throne, mostly they do not need to go beyond 3x3 till I get a barony. Once I start getting moods, I build some 3x6 rooms and give the newly legandry dwarf a private workshop set to their private use, with their artifact bed, cabinet or whatever gizmo they created built into their room if possiable. Nuts to the Barroness getting devastated by a lesser's pretentious sleeping arraingements, If she wants something fancy she can damn well mood out and make something!
My dining halls have one corner overlapping where I have an artefact whatnot built so 4X 1 table dining rooms per buidable artefact, and it can be built even in a soil layer the room is royal even without smoothing.

Inod GoldenAxe is estatic, She observed a sublime floor hatch recently , she ate a truly decant meal lately, she ate in a dining hall like a palace today, her lover died recently, her child died recently, she took joy in slaughter recently.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 12:17:04 am »

Can structures be built hanging?  I know that any floor without an adjacent support will fall, but I also know that when you breach a cavern you can construct stairs downwards while standing on the stair above it.  I'd like to try a tower design, with hanging rooms that dangle like fruit on a tree.  A stairwell links the bulb to the branch, and the living chamber hangs off the stairwell.  Plumbing for that would be a bitch, but if done right, the effect in Stonesense would be sublime.  A towering central pillar with spikes jutting out, and those spikes each holding a pod of sleeping rooms, workshops, or dining hall.  Could even be open-air and allow waterfalls to cascade over the bulbs and past open windows, giving each dorf a direct waterfall.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 12:33:22 am »

I did a [SPEED:0] embark with a few hundred logs.  I built a straight stairway 10 Z tall, then floor out 5 spaces, then a stairway down 5, so that the hanging stairs were half as long as the upright.  Then I built a small room on the hanging bit, and it was very stable.  You CAN have dangling structures.

Now, who will be the first person to make their fortress into an anatomically correct phallus?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 12:39:17 am »

my bedroom look like this, it's not so hard:
Code: [Select]
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
       X   X
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
   X           X
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
   X           X
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
       X   X
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
BBB BBB BBB BBB BBB
B : 1x1 bedroom (225 total)
X : Staircase
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:49 am »

Your bedrooms lack flare!  And, they also lack rooms, since it's merely a bunch of refugee beds set in rows.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 12:47:07 am »

Your bedrooms lack flare!  And, they also lack rooms, since it's merely a bunch of refugee beds set in rows.
My dwarves admire their 1x1 bedrooms so dont blame me, blame their lousy standard.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 12:53:01 am »

Did you mod their standards lower?

...can you mod their standards?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 01:00:02 am »

No & no.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 01:07:34 am »

Welcome to DF.  It's already been described as "A learning cliff".

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 01:27:13 am »

This is what I used this time, but again, quick fort saved me an incredible amount of time. It's a program worth getting to know.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 06:16:06 am »

All dwarves in my forts (excluding nobles) have rooms like this:

w=wall
N=floor
B=bed
C=closet
K=coffer
D=door

wwwww
wCBKw
wNNNw
wwDww

Everybody seens quite content with there rooms. The only problem is that furniture isn't that quick to make, and thinking about making hundreds of rooms of this size can be quite daunting.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:06 am »

It's not making the rooms that's the real problem, it's reassigning rooms when a dwarf dies, gets married, or becomes a noble, making a vacancy in another room which you then have to track down amongst the dozens of other rooms.
If you use nicknames to find someone in the "R" list of rooms pretty easily.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:58 am »

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX X = wall/undug/whatever
XHXHXHXHXHXHX F = cabinet
XFDFDFDFDFDFD H = coffer
XBXBXBXBXBXBX B = bed
XXXXXXXXXXXXX D = door
XHXHXHXHXHXHX
XFDFDFDFDFDFD
XBXBXBXBXBXBX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XHXHXHXHXHXHX
XFDFDFDFDFDFD
XBXBXBXBXBXBX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is an 11x11 block with entrances on the right in this case.

The dwarves don't care at all about walking through other dwarves' bedrooms to get to their own.  They are happy as clams in this setup.  The bookkeeper and manager get a chair in some random place.

18 dwarves in an 11 x 11 block.  I have a macro to make this.  12 of these blocks is easy to find space for, and you're good for over 200 dwarves.  Because they are modular there tends to be less focus on a "housing level", which tends to mean lots of dwarves walking a long ways (through wide hallways because everyone has to go there), and these blocks end up closer to workshops and central stairs/ramps.

I do not understand the fixation on 3x3 rooms.  They look nice and roomy, which is a good enough reason I guess, but these are just as good and take up a lot less space.  I resisted this for a long time because of role-playing annoyance involving this essentially being a bunkhouse with doors, and because unlike some other designs you have to have the doors available before you can make rooms with the beds.  But I didn't like doing a lot of thinking about bedrooms and I didn't like the look of other 1x3 bedroom 11x11 blocks.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:25 am »

Wow, some of you guys go way overboard.  Heh, nothing wrong with that.  I just can't imagine spending that much effort building a huge complex.

I do like building private rooms because if you don't, dwarves do complain.

But each room is just a 1x3 tiny area.  Door, bed, cabinet.  No need to assign rooms or keep track of who lives where.  Really doesn't take that much time to make a load of them.  Eventually, I have a legendary engraver work their magic.

Small, easy and space efficient.
They are super-happy in 1x3 rooms without an engraver even smoothing the stone I think.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 07:29:32 am »

A full z level of a 3x3 embark holds only 36 dwarves in this configuration. Once furnished, they'll live like kings.

huge image is huge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT civ forge has some hard to see wall materials...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5