Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?  (Read 4222 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »

So, don't.  I just use one bed per dwarf, let my military sleep in their rooms, and factor in my hospital usage.  Then, under the Z stock screen, scroll down to beds.  The number in red, is how many beds are unavailable, or currently used in construction (ie, built on the floor).  So, red number - hospital - barracks = total sleeping space.  If your total space is greater than your population, you're good.  A margin of error with extra beds is fine.

Also, dead dwarves are unassigned their bed :P

fervor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »

Wow, some of you guys go way overboard.  Heh, nothing wrong with that.  I just can't imagine spending that much effort building a huge complex.

I do like building private rooms because if you don't, dwarves do complain.

But each room is just a 1x3 tiny area.  Door, bed, cabinet.  No need to assign rooms or keep track of who lives where.  Really doesn't take that much time to make a load of them.  Eventually, I have a legendary engraver work their magic.

Small, easy and space efficient.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »

Sure, you don't need creative designs, but that's what DF is.  You realize that after the first month or two, you can survive any siege in relative safety, and that it's simply not a big challenge anymore.  However, it is a challenge to survive a siege while looking dazzling in your pure platinum bedrooms.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 07:43:49 pm »

To answer the initial question, I have to ask "what is the point of Dwarf Fortress if you aren't giving every dwarf their own caged elf or goblin?"

Designing the fortress is basically ALL the fun in the game, and residential areas are the most interesting of all, because you generally will be building quite a few of them, which means you might well want to make them into an interesting fractal pattern that makes your fortress a wonderful sight to behold.

For example, for my next fortress, I think I'm going to build all my residences as hexagons, so that my fortress looks like a giant beehive, and my dwarves scurrying about as my unquestinoingly loyal drones.  (And if we are getting bees in the next release...)

Generally, this game requires you have some sort of self-imposed goals to make interesting since the game is fairly easy otherwise.  So I make my goal to build a fortress with about 150 dwarves who are all completely ecstatic at all times, and have as many luxuries and amenities as I possibly can give them.  I'll even take the time out to make sure that they get all their favorite materials in their rooms.  And pet elven prisoners, of course. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

kohaku, that's just you. The entire suggestions forum knows that about you. It's your playing style, but it's not the only way to have fun in the game.

owwww, my hands. I finished a section so I could more easily copy it into a spreadsheet. I'm leaving the stairway sections blank, as I'm not sure what to do with them yet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »

As soon as I'm comfortable enough to breach the caverns, I'm gonna dredge up a lot of water, and create indoor plumbing.  I've already set aside areas to channel water through.  I'm certain that a waterfall in every resident's room will cause a joygasm like never before.  Or else flood my fortress with zombie carp.

fervor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 07:56:09 pm »

I do put a lot of effort into the rest of my fortress.  My noble rooms are usually eventually pretty nice.

I just find working on the commoner bedrooms to be really boring because it's so repetitive.  I don't mind working on a few rooms, but 100+?  No way.

Initially, I usually prize efficiency over anything else.  Eventually, I'll add frills, but by then, my fortress is usually a powerhouse and gets boring easy to play.  So I start over.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

Macros help to make the 100+ rooms into a few keystrokes.  Granted, a bit boring keystrokes, but still.  Wiki it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:36 pm »

Capsule apartments...

Code: [Select]
XXXXX
XBCX
XNDX
XXXS
X is wall
B is bed
N is Cabinet
C is Chest
D is Door
S is up down stairwell

Rotate so that the S is the center of the capsule...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:47 pm »

kohaku, that's just you. The entire suggestions forum knows that about you. It's your playing style, but it's not the only way to have fun in the game.

If it is just me, then obviously, I need to do more to advertise it, because it is seriously fun, and you guys are missing out.

There is a difference between arguing for a playstyle and trying to get more attention and features for that playstyle and concepts that enable a greater depth of play and demanding that everyone else must play in the same way, and there needs to be more respect for the non-roguelike players, since it seems like when people talk about how they like the roguelike features, it entitles them to this sort of speech, but it's somehow problematic for someone who enjoys the more creative aspects of the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:22 pm »

The game is open-ended.  There's no wrong way to play.  Even Losing Is Fun!  Certainly, the classic build and maintain is good enough, but that's only the initial draw.  Once you realize that the world is your mold, and magma is your pottery wheel, that's when it gets interesting, and we get projects like the super-multiple-embark giant wall.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »

If it is just me, then obviously, I need to do more to advertise it, because it is seriously fun, and you guys are missing out.

There is a difference between arguing for a playstyle and trying to get more attention and features for that playstyle and concepts that enable a greater depth of play and demanding that everyone else must play in the same way, and there needs to be more respect for the non-roguelike players, since it seems like when people talk about how they like the roguelike features, it entitles them to this sort of speech, but it's somehow problematic for someone who enjoys the more creative aspects of the game.
Well, that was an exaggeration, this thread is a testament to that, look at the layout pictures floating around. I'm not trying to shoot you down, but from your post here and your recent post in the FotF thread, I get the impression that it's the only way of playing that you see as possibly rewarding, and that bugs me a bit.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 09:04:07 pm »

To answer the initial question, I have to ask "what is the point of Dwarf Fortress if you aren't giving every dwarf their own caged elf or goblin?"

... I LOVE this idea. Thanks for giving me a reason to build cage traps again!
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »

I really like the organic growth idea; moreso because my fortress always ends up very, uh, practical. I just do as I do, usually following economic approaches like "workshops - near 'finished goods' stockpile - near depot - near surface", but no fortess looks like the other. One time I decide to create one big "forge" area for all my metally needs, the other time I dig out "shopping streets" where every workshop has its own room and door.

As for the living area: I use 2x2 rooms for everyone; bed cabinet, chest. Usually its a 2 tile wide corridor with five 2x2 rooms on each side, but quite a lot of space beteen the rooms to upgrade them to 5x5 rooms or add another room or two. Thats easily done with two macros (one for designating the area, one for placing furniture).
Once my fortress progresses, certain dorf "earn" the right for a better room - Ill use the space for rooms and upgrades, like personal weapon racks/armor stands for great soldiers, a dining room for couples...

You could say I play Sim-Dwarf at that stage and I really like the diversity in the end :) The basic rooms are done in 2 minutes, and the natural growth comes as time comes.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

It's kind of the basis of why I play. Since rent isn't a bother now, I'm not worried about just bedrooms, I'm making full houses for my bearded friends. Apartments and row houses perched on the side of a mountain. The industry and butchery is kind of secondary to the architecture, so I end up investing a lot of time on building roads, laying foundations, building multi-story houses, etc. When I've really gone full tilt I end up with dense construction covering most of a 4x4 map, but since I've sacrificed size for FPS I've started thinking fairly vertical as a way to cope with a 3x3 map.

The glory of Dwarf Fortress, each to his own...
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5