Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364921 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #6090 on: July 26, 2014, 10:03:26 am »

The USA has "suspended" its embassy in Tripoli in Libya due to marauding militias. John Kerry has basically implied Libya is about to collapse completely soon. God knows what that is going to look like.

If it does collapse I suppose I'll need to start banging on about Cyrenaica for the next few months.
let's kill the dictator, they said

democracy will prevail, they said

It almost did, but then tribalism and ethnic splits got in the way.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: July 26, 2014, 10:04:59 am »

let's kill the dictator, they said

democracy will prevail, they said

I remember the arguments I had with people online when I showed my disgust at Gaddafi's brutal murder, pretty much on the same day. Libya needed to get rid of him and he was a tyrant but nobody deserves what he got. For Libya to have closure he needed to have been brought to justice and tried in a court of law, not sexually abused with an iron bar and murdered by a baying mob.

It almost did, but then tribalism and ethnic splits got in the way.

This is why Imperialist constructions like "Libya" and "Iraq" don't work. We're better off without them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:19 am »

So, do you propose that we erase all of the middle east borders and let the residents (I was going to say 'natives' but that might sound insulting) draw them as they see fit?

Except Egypt since those are pretty much historical borders.

Though with the current state of things in the Middle East, erasing all the borders and letting them draw them as they see fit might just end up in a multi-factional region-wide civil war.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: July 26, 2014, 10:51:32 am »

So, do you propose that we erase all of the middle east borders and let the residents (I was going to say 'natives' but that might sound insulting) draw them as they see fit?

Except Egypt since those are pretty much historical borders.

Though with the current state of things in the Middle East, erasing all the borders and letting them draw them as they see fit might just end up in a multi-factional region-wide civil war.

I think it's a very difficult thing to do. It's not like the West can just magically erase the borders, we've already done the damage. When there's situations like the impending Iraqi and Libyan collapses though I think we should allow this to happen and provide enough support to ensure that the collapse is a successful, stable one with the least amount of bloodshed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: July 26, 2014, 10:56:39 am »

Well, technically it wouldn't be a civil war, just a regular war.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: July 26, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »

Ah yes, I've always wanted to see Israeli propaganda and terrible memes collide.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: July 26, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

Israel's Tel Aviv University and Hebrew University have offered strong support for Israel’s ongoing massacre in Gaza and has vowed to grant students who support the attack on Gaza a year of free tuition.

I'm amazed there haven't been more comments on this. It's absolutely disgusting. It's the sort of behaviour that wouldn't be out of place in a George Orwell novel.

The fact that this can actually occur without the university immediately becoming a target of scorn and an entirely disreputable organisation says worrying things about the culture in Israel.

Aside the fact its simply a PR stunt by the university to draw new students in, what they offered was a free year tuition to israeli soldiers. the "those who support the "massacre"" or, all the rest of the nonsense (supporting online propaganda) is just a demonizing rhetoric and facts twisting by a clearly biased website, citing and quoting the "Electronic intifada" no less!.

Here is the most apparent example:
"Israel's operation "Protective Edge" is the self-proclaimed Jewish state's third major offensive "
Soz matez, israel is not a self proclaimed jewish state, its a worldwide proclaimed jewish state. but who cares about the truth or facts, right GG? so long as we get to quote second hand sources of second hand propaganda twitter accounts :D

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: July 26, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e4_1406338980

Israeli rocket striking its target.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:49 pm »

Well.

That's one less building, I guess.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: July 26, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBzhOiUsk6s

This, this is fatah.
What's so bad about that video?  It seems to be mainly protesting the plans that some Israeli politicians have drawn up to annex al-Aqsa.  At worst you can interpret it as "Jewish people shouldn't be allowed to pray there" but that's not stated explicitly, and isn't the main point of what he's saying.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: July 26, 2014, 12:48:04 pm »

notice how on the :21 they image shifts. notice the line phasing in and out.
this is obviously edited.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: July 26, 2014, 01:04:33 pm »

Nice catch. i assumed it was edited based on the smoke, but they did a better job on the smoke than on that line.

They did a fine job here, actually going through every shadow and fixing it so people couldn't tell the time difference. yet, they neglected the shadow at the bottom, specifically the one in the left bottom corner just above the door. such a shadow shift can only happen in minutes, not seconds. i'd estimate they cut at least 10 minutes from the video.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:21:55 pm by burningpet »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »

Huh. Looking at the shadows and dust, it does seem there's a "fast forward" at that part skipping ahead at least 15 minutes or so. Not sure what relevance that has to the result other than making it a lot more easily viewable. Are you using that to imply the video itself is... fake, somehow? I'll make sure to bring up the time gap if I see anyone commenting on it in in my other forums in a way that makes it relevant though, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:20:49 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 416