Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365445 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5385 on: July 17, 2014, 11:23:36 am »

Offensive tunnels against israel, that is. ones the blockade has nothing to do with and ones that were dug even while morsi allowed almost free passage in the rafah crossing.

Deter israel from doing what? defending itself against the same rockets? ts like the stupid notion that suggests Iran wants nukes so it could defend itself against israeli attempts to destroy its nukes. its a circular argument that overlooks simple facts. israel has no interest in gaza. nothing what so ever (except maybe letting gazan workers enter back to israel as a cheap workforce)

Israel can't give up its weapons and defence because the "slight" difference is that israel is a progressive, western and modern state with a ruling elected government while hamas is a bully that temporarily got to power. in 5 years from now, it could be overthrown by ISIS or al-qaida and then what? israel gave up its weapons for nothing?

Since when does israel suppose to govern in gaza?

And what other productive options israel has against a terror organization that refuse to acknowledge its existence and prove so by firing rockets at its civilians and dig tunnels so it could kidnap soldiers and/or massacre civilians?
They aren't, but a Government is supposed to act like a government. Fighting fire with fire is only okay if you, you know, stop the fire?

So, what should they do instead? Well if it can't be something that works, how about something they haven't tried yet?
Heck, they could do NOTHING and have better results than their current actions.

The results are quite good for israel, actually. look at the declining number of israeli casualties over the years and tell me it doesn't work. and its not for lack of terror attack attempts from both gaza and the west bank btw, those are kept relatively at the same rate.

Sheb - sorry, but did you miss that wikipedia article i posted earlier that listed dozens of rockets prior to the escalation? or that the hamas dug tunnels into israel and attempted to commit a mass scale civilian killing/soldier kidnapping operation?

And do you really compare the quality of life in the west bank to gaza?

Also, if you want to see an alternative, look at israeli palestines. hell, they have more religious freedom here than in france, let alone surrounding arab countries!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:01 am »

Of course the west banks is better than Gaza. But are you seriously telling me than the best Palestinian should hope for is to live under constant occupation and checkpoints? Israel doesn't want peace with an independent Palestine. Why would they? Right now, they have mostly peace, all the settlements they can get, a nice buffer zone between them and Jordan...

And yeah, I missed that article. Care to link to it again? I'm not sure how to find it in the thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: July 17, 2014, 11:40:49 am »

On a side note, I feel the need to note that hamas doesn't actively target anything. Seriously, their homemade missiles have trouble hitting entire cities.

Not that that justifies anything, but anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:42 am »

Oh, yeah, that's a point I wanted to raise too. It's ridiculous to claim they're deliberately targeting schools when something like 70% of their missiles can't even hit a city. Doesn't mean throwing rockets in the general direction of population centers is a nice thing to do of course.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:19 am »

Yeah, Hamas should learn from Israel's careful targeting of fleeing children.
Offensive tunnels against israel, that is. ones the blockade has nothing to do with and ones that were dug even while morsi allowed almost free passage in the rafah crossing.
How do you know which tunnels are "offensive"?

Deter israel from doing what? defending itself against the same rockets? ts like the stupid notion that suggests Iran wants nukes so it could defend itself against israeli attempts to destroy its nukes. its a circular argument that overlooks simple facts. israel has no interest in gaza. nothing what so ever (except maybe letting gazan workers enter back to israel as a cheap workforce)
So in other words people living in Gaza should just take it on trust that Israel will never attempt to violate their rights.  Even though Israel is continuously bulldozing Palestinian homes in the West Bank and building settlements on top of them, even though Israel frequently engages in collective punishment against the citizens of Gaza even now.  That's the kind of thing an independent Palestine would need a military to defend against.
Israel can't give up its weapons and defence because the "slight" difference is that israel is a progressive, western and modern state with a ruling elected government while hamas is a bully that temporarily got to power. in 5 years from now, it could be overthrown by ISIS or al-qaida and then what? israel gave up its weapons for nothing?
Are you acknowledging here that we should not be holding Hamas and Israel to the same moral standards?

The results are quite good for israel, actually. look at the declining number of israeli casualties over the years and tell me it doesn't work. and its not for lack of terror attack attempts from both gaza and the west bank btw, those are kept relatively at the same rate.
The results are good if, and only if, you do not regard Palestinians as human beings.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:36 am »

The tunnels into israel are offensive, the ones into egypt are smuggling.

I doubt however that isael doesn't do anything sbout the smuggling.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »

How do you know which tunnels are "offensive"?

That's pretty easy. they are the ones going onto israel territory.

Are you acknowledging here that we should not be holding Hamas and Israel to the same moral standards?

How on earth did you manage to twist it into that? what i said is that hamas can't really be trusted to last long in power or have the means of enforcing a policy on the other groups in gaza so israel can't really lay down its arms completely.

The results are good if, and only if, you do not regard Palestinians as human beings.

Oh no, you made a mistake here. i regard palestinians as human beings, its hamas that sees them as a vehicle for propaganda and shields for its operatives.

Oh, yeah, that's a point I wanted to raise too. It's ridiculous to claim they're deliberately targeting schools when something like 70% of their missiles can't even hit a city. Doesn't mean throwing rockets in the general direction of population centers is a nice thing to do of course.

You do realize hamas has several types of missiles, right? some of them are VERY accurate.

And btw, BECAUSE of the fact some of their missiles cant be aimed correctly, firing them is considered an international war crime in itself.

Of course the west banks is better than Gaza. But are you seriously telling me than the best Palestinian should hope for is to live under constant occupation and checkpoints? Israel doesn't want peace with an independent Palestine. Why would they? Right now, they have mostly peace, all the settlements they can get, a nice buffer zone between them and Jordan...

No, they can hope for MUCH more. all they need to do is to acknowledge israel right to existence and stop attempting to kill israeli civilians, something which even Fatah still refuse to do.
Are you seriously trying to maintain that there is no terror operation in the west bank? like, seriously?

Do you really think israel needs or wants the west bank settlements other than means of preventing a greenhouse for terrorism?

They are a horrible burden on our economy! Nope, the second every palestinian will throw down their guns and acknowledge israel right to exist as a jewish state, israel would get the hell out of the settlements. just like we did in gaza and its profitable agricultural advancements and just like how we gave up sinai and the EXTREMELY profitable suez canal along with it.

Tell me, please, why should israel give up important defensive measures like the checkpoints and buffer zones in exchange for nothing? we did it in Gaza and Hamas, a self proclaimed anti israel/anti semitic terror organization took the government (don't fool yourself thinking it was elected. it was elected just like Assad was).

You are talking about carrots and sticks, but we HAVE given the carrot! and all we got was a big stick to our face immediately after.

Also, because ISIS and Al-qaeda can easily infiltrate jordan and already have, sadly israel could never give up an important very small buffer to the jordanian border. jordan will either go the syrian way or the iraqi way in the not so distant future. i would hate to see it happens, but i have been there more than once and spoken to the population imposing as italian/spanish. it is bubbling from the inside and now that its external threats are so prominent, i can't see a bright future for it.

And yeah, I missed that article. Care to link to it again? I'm not sure how to find it in the thread.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/1.2377942

I doubt however that isael doesn't do anything sbout the smuggling.

That's because they are also smuggling rockets.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: July 17, 2014, 01:03:10 pm »

very helpful yes

thank you for your enlightening article it has helped me to understand the situation completely

you said yourself google translate doesn't work well for hebrew

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: July 17, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »

You don't smuggle things from israel. The IDF is very strict about that stuff.

Besides, why bother while egypt is casually allowing it.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: July 17, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

LordSlowpoke - yeah, i couldn't find an english equivalent that is worth much.

That logic's pretty bollocks, if I do say so myself. Tunnels can be built into another country for reasons other than 'They want to kill us all'

When your logic collides with reality, its time to question either your logic or your data.

Simply put, there is absolutely zero smuggling operation in the israel-gaza border through tunnels. whatever little smuggling that actually exist, goes through the crossings.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:29:54 pm by burningpet »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: July 17, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »

I can think of at least one reason other than smuggling supplies and for use as terrorist tunnels: People smuggling. Getting people into and out of Gaza, either as illegal immigration into Israel or as a stepping stone to either other Arab countries or out of the middle east.

Especially with Egypt as kerfuffled as it is, and the Sinai insurgency, it's probably safer to go through Israel than it is to go south if you're trying to escape Gaza.

(Into Gaza would be things like journalists or doctors, aid, etc. I highly doubt anyone is itching to get into Gaza to live, at least not enough people to make it a profitable smuggling operation)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:50:45 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: July 17, 2014, 02:01:37 pm »

Its far safer and easier to go through egypt. even if you wish to go into israel, its far easier to go to egypt and then cross the egyptian-israeli border that is far less protected.

You must realize the non-offensive tunnels are handled like an investment fund and the israeli-gazan border is far less profitable than the egyptian-gazan so there is zero smuggling operation through tunnels between gaza and israel. not people, not products, not weapons. its too risky and expensive (the tunnels must be longer). the only tunnels that exist in the israel-gaza borders are offensive ones that either serve as explosive tunnels or means for flanking israeli forces.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: July 17, 2014, 02:35:25 pm »

Oh, i am very much aware how lucrative people smuggling can be.

I am also very much aware what protective means israel has along this border.

If anyone wants to get into israel from gaza, he doesn't need a tunnel that is extremely expensive to dig and would only be good for a single smuggle, he can simply run through the fence (It operate on electricity, but solely for operating sensors so it doesn't hurt those who touch it) and if he doesn't carry a weapon he will likely not get shot. he will most probably get caught, but not all of them are returned to gaza. not if they insist their life is in danger by hamas hands. i personally caught dozens of these teens and some of them stayed in israel.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: July 17, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »

Breaking on BBC: Israel to launch ground offensive on Gaza. No link yet, just coming through the wires to their studio now.

EDIT: placeholder page, should be updated with more news soon.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:46:45 pm by palsch »
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 416