Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365034 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5145 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »

Turkish officials say they'll recognize an independent Kurdistan.
I wonder what the kurds in Turkey think about this...
They're probably assuming the worst. I doubt Turkey wants this for any other reason than having a nice place to dump their own Kurds.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »

They're probably assuming the worst. I doubt Turkey wants this for any other reason than having a nice place to dump their own Kurds.

I was going to say something along these lines. It's nice to see Erdogan so worried about the Kurd's self-governance.

I don't know why I said Turk's. My brain is terrible today. I thought it was June this morning.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:32:21 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »

This makes me wonder how the Kurds managed to not get Armenian'd during the World War I shenanigans. Were they just not as much of an annoyance back then?

Or maybe I'm just ignorant and they got fucked over too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: July 02, 2014, 02:36:02 pm »

If you let Hamas fight this way, you can't really complain about the high civilian death toll, though. It goes both ways.

Just how do you not let them fight that way? Take them to the international war crimes court?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #5149 on: July 02, 2014, 02:37:50 pm »

Meanwhile, one Palestinian had been kidnapped only for his body to turn some times later, with signs of torture. And shit is kicking off even more in response.

Revenge attack or attemp to frame Israel, way to add fuel to fire, whoever did that. Damn.  :-\

edit:
On a slightly lighter note - Big possibility Iranian fighter jets in Iraq flying along side those borrowed by America. To make things even more hilarious, those Su-25 are most probably the ones that used to belong to Iraq, but defected to Iran during First Gulf War.

... Why do now imagine Ahmadinejad sitting in some villa in some oasis in the middle of a desert, drinking non-alcoholic cocktail, sporting fancy sunglasses all the while an incredibly smug "just as planed" smile decorates his face? I know he left the political scene, but he was just that kind of troll to be totally capable of doing something like that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:51:26 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: July 02, 2014, 02:38:26 pm »

Nah, but Turkey would rather accept a Kurdish state in Northern Iraq than having the Caliphate of Crazy as neighbours. Same reason the US and Iran have come slightly closer over this, it's the lesser evil.
Meanwhile the Kurdish authorities in Iraq themselves don't think they're ready for statehood yet, so it's just a possibility.

This makes me wonder how the Kurds managed to not get Armenian'd during the World War I shenanigans. Were they just not as much of an annoyance back then?

Or maybe I'm just ignorant and they got fucked over too.
For starters, the Kurds are mostly not Christians. They were repressed too, but not as much as the Greeks and Armenians, probably because they were thought of as easier to assimilate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: July 02, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »

Meanwhile, one Palestinian had been kidnapped only for his body to turn some times later, with signs of torture. And shit is kicking off even more in response.

Revenge attack or attemp to frame Israel, way to add fuel to fire, whoever did that. Damn.  :-\

Hopefully that whole thing doesn't spiral out of control.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: July 02, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

If you let Hamas fight this way, you can't really complain about the high civilian death toll, though. It goes both ways.

Just how do you not let them fight that way? Take them to the international war crimes court?
How do you even expect them to fight?  It is the modern era, where if they had their own bases... away from civilians and what-not... well, them bases would have long been bombed to nothing or occupied years ago... with Hamas dead and gone.  (Or those people are long dead and gone and you got the current Hamas.)

Seriously, put yourself in their shoes.  How would Hamas, as an armed organization, survive against the military of a nation that has the training, experience and high tech equipment it has?
Its not like the terrain allows Hamas to hide in the deep jungle or whatever have you...
From a strategic point of view.  Hiding among civilians works.  Who cares if it is an international war crime if the organization has no other way of survival?  It is only a drop in the bucket.  Hamas is already labeled as a terrorist organization by the international community.  You do what you must.  For what you consider to be the greater good.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:26 pm »

war crimes are okay if they make strategic sense

got it

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »

You lost me at the part with "greater good" in it

I'm pretty sure their definition of "good" differs from mine
._.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: July 02, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »

I really hope the police/General Security Service would catch the killers and put them behind bars for the rest of their lives. jews or muslim.

Israeli journalists are calling the government to remove the censorship from the investigation because they claim it will cool down the muslim violent riots that erupted.

the journalists said the israeli police was called to the same family house after an attempted kidnap of this teen younger brother two days ago. at location, the father told the police it was attempted by arabs and mentioned the car, which is the same type and color of the car which was used to kidnap his older brother. he refused to issue a formal complaint. the mother also admitted that the family has family feud with other families, although refused to believe the kidnapping was due to that feud. this family is known to the police due to criminal history of some of its members.

While this data imply it was personal and by people who knew the family, it might just be a coincidence or that it might be that the israeli religious nut cases targeted the same family for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:42:05 pm by burningpet »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:52 pm »

Y'all are fucking morons if you think "Explaining why they do what they do" and "And therefore they are right in doing it" are the exact same thing. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: July 02, 2014, 05:04:38 pm »

Y'all are fucking morons if you think "Explaining why they do what they do" and "And therefore they are right in doing it" are the exact same thing. :V
At least the second one of those could potentially contribute to the discussion.

It's not like people are thinking they're doing it for their retirement funds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: July 02, 2014, 06:06:59 pm »

... Why do now imagine Ahmadinejad sitting in some villa in some oasis in the middle of a desert, drinking non-alcoholic cocktail, sporting fancy sunglasses all the while an incredibly smug "just as planed" smile decorates his face? I know he left the political scene, but he was just that kind of troll to be totally capable of doing something like that.
Who says it's non-alcoholic? Religious restrictions are for peasants, not Men Of True Character. It's why so many get in trouble when it comes out that they don't live by the devoutness that they'll kill others for not adhering to: a lot don't really believe it, the rest don't see it as applying to them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:42:49 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:17 pm »

Exactly. It makes perfect sense for Hamas to fight this way, and I would advise them to continue to reach their own goals, but the same thing goes for Israel's bombings of their meat shields - because that's what their Palestinian brethren are to them. As far as effectiveness goes, ethnic cleansings and disregard for civilian lives on a massive scale are the most sensible options in the middle east conflict right now. That doesn't make them morally superior, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 416