Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364804 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5085 on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:42 am »

Yeah, good point Mitcl, except the US didn't want to get pulled into another clusterfuck, but our attempt to avoid one ended up 'butterfly effecting' into another clusterfuck.

Still, given how our intervention in the region tends to end up making things worse, it could very well have become a clusterfuck ANYWAY if we did intervene.

Also, ISIS invading Israel? Are you kidding me? Israel has fought all her neighbors at once, with inferior numbers and weaponry and a handful of planes. These jokers that were ignored by assad to be unleashed on a neighboring unstable state wouldn't get past the border safe zone. There's a reason they're attacking Iraq, because it's a pathetically weak state now. Saddam's Iraq wasn't weak, America's Iraq very definitely is, and can fall to a Taliban-like invasion at any moment thanks to pathetic fundamentalist leadership making the divisions in Iraq worse.

Probably wouldn't stop ISIS from trying, and Israel would also have terror attacks and maybe rocket attacks coming from them. I doubt ISIS would be as willing to negotiate as Hamas and Fatah are.

And come on, Iraq fell swiftly to the US military. Okay granted perhaps it was weak in comparison to the US military.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:59:15 am by smjjames »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:56 am »

I'm mostly noting that due to an inherent opposition of Israeli forces to support a side in Extremist Muslim-Fundamentalist Muslim hostilities. That's not why we have a mandatory draft, it's to defend the home, not pick a side in shit like this because US/Israel foreign policy consists of 'hope they like us after we ignore them'. But in all honestly unless Israel wants a 2001-Afghanistan-like-Iraq on their fringes, she'd better do anything to help. I know there's plenty of air power to spare, no need for boots on the ground.

Also, our propaganda and our warfare tactics convinced you Iraq was weak, but not many countries can have an all out ground war for ten years and not completely implode. Just because the US is like, so awesome at annihilating other people's armies doesn't make the previous state of their military bad. If that was a weak Iraq.. Then that's even worse. Iraq is a major power player. We can't wish and watch for a completely anarchist Iraq, like it's turning out.

I will also not entertain the notion of ISIS attacking Israel. Israel will turn any areas where any attacks come from into a crater. Any forces that attempt to cross the border or invade proper will be 90% annihilated and 10% captured to find out all future info they need. Israel will not fuck around if it's becoming a real issue.

That's even assuming Mossad hasn't already infiltrated this organization.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:11:25 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:02 am »

It might not have been a weak Iraq, but it certainly was weakened.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:01 am »

I believe that ISIS was destined to be formed and gain its power with or without US/Israel/Turkey/whateva aid to the moderates. the sad fact is that only a support for Assad could have kept ISIS down and leave Syria at relative peace. yet obviously Israel will never support a brutal regime that directly finance and train a terrorist group such as hizbulla.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:08 am »

Tyrannical and brutal regimes that don't fund anti-Israeli terrorist groups however?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #5090 on: June 30, 2014, 11:18:55 am »

Talk about irony.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:21 am »

You know, I wanted the Arabic states to unite back together, but... Not quite like this.

I was hoping secular, and more "United Arabic States" or something, to give the Arab nations more control of their lives than just "We got the oil! Back off!" and also less dictator-y, not... not a radical caliphate built on the bloodshed of thousands. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:31 am »

Well, it seems like "dictator-y" is in this case synonymous to "best case scenario".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:42 am »

They tried back in the days, it kinda didn't work for a variety of reasons. Mostly because Nasser was quite the egocentric type.

burningpet, are you really comparing ISIS to a secular resistance movement like Fatah? Or is it yet more of your irony.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: June 30, 2014, 11:45:53 am »

They tried back in the days, it kinda didn't work for a variety of reasons. Mostly because Nasser was quite the egocentric type.

burningpet, are you really comparing ISIS to a secular resistance movement like Fatah? Or is it yet more of your irony.

Is there a difference between ISIS and Hamas?

Tyrannical and brutal regimes that don't fund anti-Israeli terrorist groups however?

So long as they pay in time?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: June 30, 2014, 11:49:12 am »

I don't believe Israel/US has the staying power to stick around for a few decades to fix things...  Well maybe if Israel gets to keep it afterwards.  Though fixing it in that case would mean encouraging its inhabitants to move out and setting up settlements...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

Is there a difference between ISIS and Hamas?

Yes. One of them is on a rampage across the Middle East, the other, while extremist and with a terrorist past, agreed to a ceasefire with Israel, was democratically elected (then ousted from the West Bank) and is generally nicer than ISIS. Which doesn't mean that they're nice.

Or was this yet more of your irony?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: June 30, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »

You know, I wanted the Arabic states to unite back together, but... Not quite like this.

I was hoping secular, and more "United Arabic States" or something, to give the Arab nations more control of their lives than just "We got the oil! Back off!" and also less dictator-y, not... not a radical caliphate built on the bloodshed of thousands. :/
Arab League?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »

Democratically elected is a term devoid of any substance, especially when the first thing you do after being elected, with the close supervision of mr kalachnikov and his dear little friend gustav, is to throw your political rivals off the rooftops. Assad was also democratically elected, so what?

Past terrorists? i fail to see how kidnapping and killing 3 teenagers is not considered a terrorist act.

Hamas and ISIS share many goals, the most prominent is the declaration of an islamic caliphate in the middle east through violent actions. many believe that they share more than the same aspirations and that they have cooperated in Syria and Sinai and perhaps in iraq as well.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #5099 on: June 30, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »

Speaking of those 3 young people, I'm surprised no-one said a word about it in this topic in the last few days.

Apparently, their bodies have been found. For shame.

Though as for Hamas being involved in it - apart from Netanyahu running his mouth off, has there been any actual evidence that would point to the real perpetrators? I mean, among the hundreds of arrested, there's bound to be some trace found, eh?

Make no mistake, I'm not saying Hamas is a white-clean flower selling company, but kidnapping (and killing) 3 unimportant people seems a bit silly even by their standards.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:57:59 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 416