Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364794 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5070 on: June 30, 2014, 07:02:09 am »

I have no idea how it works really. I thought caliphs didn't exist anymore, then again, I know nothing of it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: June 30, 2014, 07:05:45 am »

I have no idea how it works really. I thought caliphs didn't exist anymore, then again, I know nothing of it.
They don't. The office was abolished with the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

Basically, they're the head of state of the Caliphate, ruler of all muslims under Sharia'ah law. Also, the position is often heriditary.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: June 30, 2014, 08:17:38 am »

I think they should get the U.N to recognize their state. if they preceded Iran/Iraq/syria with their Caliphate, then they deserve that country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:30 am »

I think they should get the U.N to recognize their state. if they preceded Iran/Iraq/syria with their Caliphate, then they deserve that country.

Who is they? Turkey? The Ottomans? ISIS? Japan? (yes I know the last one is nonsensical) and what are you talking about ISIS preceeding Iran/Iraq/Syria with the caliphate?

The chances of a terrorist* organization getting their country recognized by the UN is less than zero.

*'terrorist' being a rather arbitrary word, one persons terrorist being anothers freedom fighter. I mean extremists such as ISIS, or Al Quaeda.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:32:26 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:20 am »

Well, burninpet is Israeli, so I guess the whole "We were there 2000 years ago so this is my state now" make sense to him.

Now, Caliphs were the heirs of Mahomet, rulers of the great Arabic Empire back in the day. They never had the same power over Muslims outside their realms as popes did for exemple. With the Ottomans coming in and kicking everyone in the dust, the Ottomans emperors just added Caliphs to their impressive list of titles. The the title was abolished in 1924 by the Turkish parliament.

So when they're claiming to be a Caliphate again, what they mean is that they're the true heir to Mahomets. Sunni everywhere will continue not giving a crap.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:54 am »

Well, burninpet is Israeli, so I guess the whole "We were there 2000 years ago so this is my state now" make sense to him.

Unless you're a Crimean Tatar but that's another story.

I have heard ISIS are approaching the Saudi border, putting Saudi security on maximum alert.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:54 am »

That would be weird, as is, they can expect at least non-interference from Saudi Arabia (who is glad Iran got one more enemy). Why would they want to make yet one more enemy?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: June 30, 2014, 09:10:52 am »

are you sure the isis is the kind of organization that participates in realpolitik

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: June 30, 2014, 09:15:52 am »

No, it doesn't. but so is giving a terrorist party a state doesn't really makes sense to me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:38 am »

I heard that they were also eyeing Jordan. Or perhaps the Saudis don't want that kind of extremist crap in their country. At the same time as not caring whether Iraq gets ripped to shreds (or perhaps they are respecting Iraqi soveriegnity and not intervening unless asked).

No, it doesn't. but so is giving a terrorist party a state doesn't really makes sense to me.

Same here (the terrorist party a state bit, though Hamas did manage to get themselves elected to power).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: June 30, 2014, 09:26:19 am »

Well, what did you mean by

if they preceded Iran/Iraq/syria with their Caliphate, then they deserve that country.

then? Actually I'm not sure I understand your last two messages.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:58 am »

Well, Israel's prime minister netanyahu have declared that israel would help Jordan and the Kurds. There were talks about a "military corridor" (The talks are that there's already an aerial corridor) so israeli forces could join the battle against ISIS. if this happens and i'll be asked to draft to go fight islamic nutcases just to protect a slightly different islamic nutcases, i'd burn my uniforms and reject drafting.

Well, what did you mean by

if they preceded Iran/Iraq/syria with their Caliphate, then they deserve that country.

then? Actually I'm not sure I understand your last two messages.

Sarcasm. what makes ISIS different than Hamas or Fatah?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:48:41 am by burningpet »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: June 30, 2014, 09:43:47 am »

If the UK took the same attitude to Sinn Fein and now peaceful Republican groups that you're taking to Fatah, a secular Palestinian nationalist party that is the only viable alternative to Hamas, then the Troubles would never have ended and we'd probably still have bomb attacks in Britain on a regular basis. In order to achieve peace, reconciliation of differences is necessary and in this modern world of insurgencies and civil strife that sometimes entails forgiving terrorists, or putting those events behind us. If you can't stomach that it's a good thing you're not a national leader.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:45:50 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:16 am »

Aren't we all christian/judeo/islamic/hindu/buddhist/whatever religion nutcases? ;D (sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek/not serious/see wink smiley, so please don't take what I said seriously as an insult)

Besides, if ISIS conquers your neighbors, who do you think they'll target next? Israel. Might as well help your 'enemies' fight them now than have to fight for your lives against ISIS later when you could have helped stop them earlier.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:50:33 am by smjjames »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

If only Israel and the USA and Turkey would've supported the FSA and the Kurds before it became a clusterfuck of fundamentalism thanks to Assad killing off the completely abandoned moderates :(

Also, ISIS invading Israel? Are you kidding me? Israel has fought all her neighbors at once, with inferior numbers and weaponry and a handful of planes. These jokers that were ignored by assad to be unleashed on a neighboring unstable state wouldn't get past the border safe zone. There's a reason they're attacking Iraq, because it's a pathetically weak state now. Saddam's Iraq wasn't weak, America's Iraq very definitely is, and can fall to a Taliban-like invasion at any moment thanks to pathetic fundamentalist leadership making the divisions in Iraq worse.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:55:02 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 416