Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365044 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #4830 on: June 10, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »

Something just dawned on me while reading about ISIS and Iraq.

I wonder if part of the reason we did not move into Syria is....the US was happy to let radical Islamists be across the border of Iraq instead of inside it. AQAP was winding down, whether intentionally or not, violence was ebbing in Iraq (although never really going away) and maybe the US was hoping, in addition to killing his own people, Assad would eventually wipe out the remainder of Al Qaeda splinters too. As long as radical islam was busy fighting Assad for Syria, they weren't fighting seriously for control of Iraq. Just your garden variety bombing and terror.

Except now, the threat we've basically ignored is taking cities and villages in Iraq and they are totally unable to deal with them. I mean, consider the kind of people in ISIS. They've survived and even grown within the context of fighting a guerrilla and terror campaign in Syria. They're battle hardened, have seen and done horrible things and now they're attacking a government who, if we're honest, has never fully had a grip on either the country politically or its security situation. While they don't have the numbers I'd think to overrun the country, I think they have more than enough to hold a city and a province, and further destabilize Iraq by calling out Al-Maliki's ability to govern directly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: June 11, 2014, 02:27:45 am »

I think the reasons the US didn't move into Syria is that Obama don't like military operation larger than a drone strike.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: June 11, 2014, 02:57:05 am »

Also, and perhaps worst of all, ISIS has taken over various oil fields in Syria, which gives them a limited ability to fund themselves.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:22 am »

Something just dawned on me while reading about ISIS and Iraq.

I wonder if part of the reason we did not move into Syria is....the US was happy to let radical Islamists be across the border of Iraq instead of inside it. AQAP was winding down, whether intentionally or not, violence was ebbing in Iraq (although never really going away) and maybe the US was hoping, in addition to killing his own people, Assad would eventually wipe out the remainder of Al Qaeda splinters too. As long as radical islam was busy fighting Assad for Syria, they weren't fighting seriously for control of Iraq. Just your garden variety bombing and terror.

Except now, the threat we've basically ignored is taking cities and villages in Iraq and they are totally unable to deal with them. I mean, consider the kind of people in ISIS. They've survived and even grown within the context of fighting a guerrilla and terror campaign in Syria. They're battle hardened, have seen and done horrible things and now they're attacking a government who, if we're honest, has never fully had a grip on either the country politically or its security situation. While they don't have the numbers I'd think to overrun the country, I think they have more than enough to hold a city and a province, and further destabilize Iraq by calling out Al-Maliki's ability to govern directly.
I don't know, the situation in Syria is complicated anyway and past experiences have shown that these interventions don't really make things better. The sad lesson is that leaving murderous regimes in place may result in less deaths and more stability.

ISIS is fighting various opposition groups in Syria too, not only Assad, and they have split from Al Quaeda. Not sure anyone had them on the radar a year ago. Their core seem to be foreign fighters, like from Chechnya, but they are liberating many prisoners in Iraq. That may not be enough to start a civil war in Iraq too, but it might strenghten their position in Syria.

Also, and perhaps worst of all, ISIS has taken over various oil fields in Syria, which gives them a limited ability to fund themselves.
Apparently they have also captured Baiji, where the largest oil refinery in Iraq is.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:20:39 am by XXSockXX »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:06 am »

Here's something unrelevant and lighthearted about ISIS: a while ago they posted a map of the Islamic world under their banner:

Note the borders of other states. Apparently people at ISIS are fans of strategy games by Paradox Interactive, Victoria 2 in particular.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: June 11, 2014, 04:53:54 am »

At least they're not going after the muslims on the Balkan.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: June 11, 2014, 04:55:12 am »

Or in the Caucasus.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: June 11, 2014, 05:05:00 am »

Maybe they have not manufactured the necessary CBs yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:19 am »

They'll take India, full of Hindus, but ignore Bosnia.

Nobody likes Bosnia, it seems.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:52 am »

Well, you could make an argument it belong to a muslim realm, after all much of the ruling class was muslims ever since the Mughal conquest.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:34 am »

It belongs to the Anglican realm, then.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:06 am »

They are also grabbing Buddhist Myanmar. I guess they just decided everything between Morrocco and Indonesia was muslim.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:31 am »

Well, ugly borders are a big problem in any Paradox game, and no land connection increases revolt risk IIRC. Also India is usually a cash cow there.

Notably they also don't want the Uighur parts of China.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:40 am »

Well, ugly borders are a big problem in any Paradox game, and no land connection increases revolt risk IIRC. Also India is usually a cash cow there.

Notably they also don't want the Uighur parts of China.
Nah, even dumb extremists who think India is muslim know not to fuck with the Sisko Chinese.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: June 11, 2014, 09:10:27 am »

By not bombing the shit out of it. Repeatedly.
When America bombs everything, it ruins everything.
When America DOESN'T bomb everything, it ruins everything.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 416