Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364329 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4635 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:40 am »

Isn't the UN pretty much irrelevant by now? Unable to act, it merely gives out some sort of semi-legitimation for military action... which when shit hits the fan isn't all that relevant. Anything to make the current status less sustainable should be a good thing, right?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:39 am »

Isn't the UN pretty much irrelevant by now? Unable to act, it merely gives out some sort of semi-legitimation for military action... which when shit hits the fan isn't all that relevant. Anything to make the current status less sustainable should be a good thing, right?
You're assuming the UN was ever supposed to be relevant in the manner you seem to be thinking of.  It is, and has always been, primarily intended as a forum for diplomacy and a tool for avoiding a conflagration similar to the previous two world wars that had been so fresh in people's memories when it was first formed.  It was not originally intended as a dispenser of justice, liberty, or all things fuzzy and good, but rather as a way to maintain a measure of First and Second World power in an era where decolonization was becoming an increasing issue, and also in order to keep conflicts, if not extinguished, then at least localized.  There's a reason that the theoretically-independent ICC, rather than the UN-affiliated ICJ, had to hear the case on Sudan and the Darfur; it's not the UN's job to play at paternalism. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: September 26, 2013, 11:26:51 am »

So Pew did a poll about Muslims and Islamic extremism.

The results are very promising. Suicide bombing is condemned everywhere but the Palestinian territories, the big Islamist groups are unpopular, and support for secular and mixed law are rising over sharia.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:50 pm »

This doesnt suprise me much. My opinion of fundies is that there arent many of them, but they should loud, while the moderate majority are usually silent.
This is a blank sig.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »

This doesnt suprise me much. My opinion of fundies is that there arent many of them, but they should loud, while the moderate majority are usually silent.
Marginalization is key.

There will always be people on the fringes, the key is letting them play out their stupid without endangering people or giving them a voice.

So guys, appearantly there is now a actual movement to resolve the Syrian conflict, and the more extreme rebels have decided to declare themselves seperate from the banner of the Free Syrian Army. It seems increasingly likely the opposition will fracture into the Freedom Fighters and actual terrorists.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: September 26, 2013, 02:58:13 pm »

Last thing I heard was that all actual rebel countries denounced their contacts with the UN or something.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »

There will always be people on the fringes, the key is letting them play out their stupid without endangering people or giving them a voice.
Na, you want them to have just enough of a voice as to be a shining beacon of terrible, so as to engender a distaste for them among the general populace. Like Pat Robertson's claims about atheists causing hurricanes, or islamist claims of underdressed women causing earthquakes. :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: September 27, 2013, 08:50:05 pm »

It's actually under-dressed atheists.

I am secretly purely responsible for Hurricane Sandy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: September 28, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »

Well, it looks like Sudan is going to blow up. Street protests are popping up everywhere after the government decided to cut fuel subsidies, because they'd lost something like 75% of their oil revenue when South Sudan became independent. The protestors are numbering in the thousands but the police have already started using live ammunition, killing about 50 protestors. The protests have stopped being about the fuel and are now directed against the "killer" President Omar al-Bashir.

Al Jazeera is now calling it a new Arab spring.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: September 28, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »

Sudan is pretty exceptionally shitty, so the potential of this ending worse than it started is fairly low.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: September 28, 2013, 03:20:19 pm »

Al Jazeera had an interview with the Sudanese Information Minister. He was utterly shitting himself; trying to call the protestors "armed gangs" and "terrorists" and talking for about 5 minutes at a time over the interviewer, prattling and twittering away about stuff like that. It looks like the government really is worried about this.

It's interesting that in every country I've seen governments/establishments talk about "armed gangs", they're almost invariably trying to cover up some kind of terrible atrocity. Like the Syrian government trying to cover up its own brutality against protestors, or Turkish historians talking about the Armenian genocide. If you ever hear your government talking about "armed gangs", I advise you to emigrate as soon as you can.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:22:33 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:49 pm »

It's hardly surprising. "Armed gangs" are a convenient way to erase the civilian/combatant line almost completely, even more so than "terrorists".
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: September 28, 2013, 03:31:13 pm »

When the word "terrorist" gets thrown around a lot as justification for draconian laws, perhaps it's ironic that the government is using fear in that case as a tactic to get what it wants.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: September 28, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »

Al Jazeera had an interview with the Sudanese Information Minister. He was utterly shitting himself; trying to call the protestors "armed gangs" and "terrorists" and talking for about 5 minutes at a time over the interviewer, prattling and twittering away about stuff like that. It looks like the government really is worried about this.

It's interesting that in every country I've seen governments/establishments talk about "armed gangs", they're almost invariably trying to cover up some kind of terrible atrocity. Like the Syrian government trying to cover up its own brutality against protestors, or Turkish historians talking about the Armenian genocide. If you ever hear your government talking about "armed gangs", I advise you to emigrate as soon as you can.

I'd say the time to emigrate is when the government appoints an information minister.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: September 28, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

I'd say the time to emigrate is when the government appoints an information minister.

Funny you should say that...

Granted, it was wartime, but still.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 416