Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364241 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4620 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:54 pm »

Always a cynic, are we...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: September 18, 2013, 04:13:21 pm »

It's not cynicism, it is what is obviously going on. He's meant to be an outlet for the people's anger without actually changing anything meaningfully. The President is a puppet of the theocracy. That's why the theocracy gets to decide who can run, so they will always get somebody who will more or less play ball.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:44 pm »

Oh by the by, Human Rights international came to the same conclusion as the New York Times, coming to it independently and about a couple of hours before.Here's the conclusions reached by HRW. The logic came from the azimuth of the Rockets, which apparently means "arc and direction".

Anyway Russia denounces the report as biased and incomplete, notable as the report itself does not name names, although certain forensic info is incriminating. Negotiations on Syria in the Security Council continue, as Britain, France and the US push to have wording recommending the use of Force if Syria does not comply, which Russia balks at, and China continues to sit idly on the sidelines periodically praising progress when it occurs. Congress has delayed action indefinitely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: September 18, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »

He's just a weak appeaser the theocrats let into the Presidency because they realized the impending threat of revolution. After this term it'll be back to radical Islamists until the Iranians finally get the will to rise up and destroy the theocracy.
All that is irrelevant, even if it is true. Saudi Arabia is similarly authoritarian, but last I checked, the US and Israel weren't drawing red lines or threatening to invade.

It all comes down to a question of what they see as the best means to secure the future of Iran. Their nuclear ambitions may well evaporate because of this. Between military threat and, probably more importantly, the sanctions which have destabilized their economy, they have ample reason to give them up. They don't want to be a North Korea, with a nonexistent economy and where the most well-off live almost as well as the lower-middle class of the modern world. Those in power want to stay in power, and those who are well off want to stay well off, or even become more well off. These are people with families; just like any other, they want their children and descendants to prosper as well. If it comes down to it, they will give up their nuclear program if they see doing so is more likely to secure future success than not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: September 18, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »

He's just a weak appeaser the theocrats let into the Presidency because they realized the impending threat of revolution. After this term it'll be back to radical Islamists until the Iranians finally get the will to rise up and destroy the theocracy.
All that is irrelevant, even if it is true. Saudi Arabia is similarly authoritarian, but last I checked, the US and Israel weren't drawing red lines or threatening to invade.

It is most certainly not irrelevant. This has fucking nothing to do with the Syrian Civil War, it is the simple recognition of Iran's internal political strategy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: September 19, 2013, 01:24:39 am »

The election of a progressive candidate under threat of a revolution is still better than a revolution itself would be. Iran's strain of Islam isn't really loved, they got some enemies in the Middle East, and the geopolitical situation doesn't allow a quick turnover like happened in Lybia. A revolution would be a bloody, long affair, probably involving a minor genocide, and result in the installation of US, Russian or Chinese pawn, rather than a democracy.

Also strange that you seem so intent on attacking Iran at every opportunity, but leave Saudi Arabia, or any of the other Muslim states alone. Those nations are equally authoritarian (if not worse), but of course, as US allies they're absolved off all criticism.

It is most certainly not irrelevant. This has fucking nothing to do with the Syrian Civil War, it is the simple recognition of Iran's internal political strategy.
He's not talking about the Syrian red lines. Iran has got plenty of them too.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:35 am »

It's not cynicism, it is what is obviously going on. He's meant to be an outlet for the people's anger without actually changing anything meaningfully.
It's surprising the number of heads of goverment to which this comment could be applied nowadays /musings
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:08 am »

The election of a progressive candidate under threat of a revolution is still better than a revolution itself would be.
He's not a progressive. He's just a guy who sometimes does not fully support monstrous religious law.
Iran's strain of Islam isn't really loved, they got some enemies in the Middle East, and the geopolitical situation doesn't allow a quick turnover like happened in Lybia. A revolution would be a bloody, long affair, probably involving a minor genocide, and result in the installation of US, Russian or Chinese pawn, rather than a democracy.
Probably, but not necessarily. It could be relatively bloodless if the Guardian Council was taken down early. You could retain a lot of the political system once you've destroyed the theocratic system that controls it. In any case, as I said, it's the only way for there to be real change in Iran. That's just the way it is.
Also strange that you seem so intent on attacking Iran at every opportunity, but leave Saudi Arabia, or any of the other Muslim states alone. Those nations are equally authoritarian (if not worse), but of course, as US allies they're absolved off all criticism.
Spoiler: Excuse me? (click to show/hide)
I swear, this is almost as bad as Christians telling me I never criticize Islam.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4628 on: September 19, 2013, 11:06:25 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:57:00 pm by Hotfire90 »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: September 19, 2013, 11:10:35 am »

if the only tool you have is a hammer, might as well do your best to make all problems look like nails

i'm just waiting for the us to snap now. this can't be sustainable anymore.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: September 19, 2013, 02:59:40 pm »

On a side note, how difficult is it for an American to get into Switzerland, Sweden or Denmark..? :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: September 19, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

On a side note, how difficult is it for an American to get into Switzerland, Sweden or Denmark..? :P
All three lack visa requirements for Americans.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: September 19, 2013, 03:21:54 pm »

Senator Lindsey Graham said on Saturday that he is going to officially approach Congress to seek military authorization for a strike on Iran to destroy the nation’s nuclear program.
http://www.pakalertpress.com/2013/09/16/sen-lindsey-graham-to-congress-lets-just-blow-up-iran/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm
I think a War with Iran is very likely.
No.

You see, this is why I look into things. Info is very hard to get, and usually the only thing that can be taken as fact is something filtered from all over the spectrum, and statistics, which are often true, if amazingly pliable. Interpretations vary widely, I know from experience.

Anyway my investigation says that he is in fact presenting a motion to Congress (as a last resort, mind) but to say it's is going to happen is pushing it very far. At the most, Israel does what it does and swoops in and bombs a ton of stuff. If one thing is to be learned from the Syria Crisis, it's that people really don't like war right now, and there will be a lot of objections even in the face of a National Security threat. The likelihood of anything even remotely notable passing in Congress with the Government Shutdown and Debt ceiling debates in full swing in nil. Even under-the-radar, highly popular bills are falling.

if the only tool you have is a hammer, might as well do your best to make all problems look like nails

i'm just waiting for the us to snap now. this can't be sustainable anymore.
If the Roman empire went on for hundreds of years after shit began hitting the fan in epic proportions, this is not the end of the US. Hell it's more stable then most Western Governments right now, and that says something. Even something absurdly stupid like shutting down the government will simply lead to a change in the balance of power.

Anyway, Rouhani will be in New York soon, UN getting into session, so we should see something there. Also, on a totally unrelated note, the wanted Dictator of Sudan plans to be there, despite having warrants for his arrest in the International Criminal Court, and many organizations have called on the US to arrest him, including the UN itself, the ICC, Human Rights watch, et all. Complicating this is the US's status as Host Country, meaning it can;'t legally deny a Visa to anyone in the UN, and the US having not signed the ICC charter.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:32 am »

Anyway, Rouhani will be in New York soon, UN getting into session, so we should see something there. Also, on a totally unrelated note, the wanted Dictator of Sudan plans to be there, despite having warrants for his arrest in the International Criminal Court, and many organizations have called on the US to arrest him, including the UN itself, the ICC, Human Rights watch, et all. Complicating this is the US's status as Host Country, meaning it can;'t legally deny a Visa to anyone in the UN, and the US having not signed the ICC charter.

I find it funny(and will be surprised) if the US doesn't just flaunt their 'I'm right and everyone agrees, so you'll be arrested anyways and only my detractors will care' card.  But I don't know how these international UN things work.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:32 am »

I doubt it. The US doesn't care much for the ICC and it would be a blow to diplomacy if baddies don't dare to attend UN sessions anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 416