Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364311 times)

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4455 on: August 31, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »

Interestingly I was just linked an article claiming the opposite.

I would like to point to this article, as it was written by someone who claims to be a first hand source. It's actually pretty interesting.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

Has anyone heard about how Egypt is doing? Anyone attempting to explain the army's behavior?
There was a article in the NY Times today about how the protests, which have continued despite the essential decapitation of the Muslim Brotherhood, have shown many signs of moving from Pro-Morsi, to Anti-Government, which is very significant indeed. It's just the whole Syria thing is pretty big too.

So Obama has announced he's waiting on Congress.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: September 01, 2013, 02:53:58 am »

Actually, some people have been arguing for a real war with Syria, with the aim to make the FSA victorious. But a missile strike is not a war, the costs are nowhere near similar (a few millions in cruise missiles).

The fact is that chemical weapon is one of the few example of a weapon being banned with success. Landmines and cluster bombs are getting there too, slowly. A few cruise missiles to keep things that way seems cheap and I hope that soon enough the day will come when a state installing landmines get cruise missiled too. I think Assad will be deterred, because the losses of materiel are not worth the tactical gain of using gas.

So yeah, honestly if the US Navy launched a Kickstarter for a strike on Syria, I'd back it up. I wonder what would be the amount needed to be able to write something on the cruise missile.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: September 01, 2013, 08:09:58 am »

I'd back it up. I wonder what would be the amount needed to be able to write something on the cruise missile.
Quote from: Wikipedia, source Huffington Post
In 2011, it was estimated that a single Tomahawk cruise missile costs US$1,410,000.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: September 01, 2013, 08:38:15 am »

The study by the Institute for the Study of War cited ~700,000$ per Tomahawk.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: September 01, 2013, 09:02:44 am »

Hey, I got an idea - if you really care about the Syrian people and the terrible things being done, what we (the international community) should do is accept and expedite the processing of Syrian refugees, providing them with places to live within our own borders and the support to rebuild in a place that isn't super-likely to get them and those they care about killed.

Sheb, has your country suggested a willingness to accept Syrian refugees, or to aid them in their escape from the warzone?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:33 am »

Ahah, no, we're too busy expelling fully integrated foreigners that have been working and raising family here for years on technicalities. I would support it if we did though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: September 01, 2013, 01:46:31 pm »

Governments are assholes. >_____________>

So Sayeth The Whale

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:48:39 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:37 pm »

When talking to Europeans, that's not really a fair question to ask - our stupid laws keep most of the refugees in Spain, Italy, Greece.
Instead of channeling them to the countries that can, you know, actually help them properly.

if you really care about the Syrian people and the terrible things being done, what we (the international community) should do is accept and expedite the processing of Syrian refugees
If we really care about people at all, we should see to it that they don't have to flee in the first place. Action in Syria is not only necessary because of the Syrians, but because of all others who would otherwise be killed casting off the shackles of tyranny. Sorry for the pathos, I get a bit... excited sometimes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4464 on: September 01, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »

Well, look at Egypt. They threw off the shackles of tyranny, and then gleefully embraced the shackles of Thocracy. Then they changed their minds again and (by a narrow margin) seem to be accepting the shackles of a Junta.

Or Afganistan or Iraq. Yeah, a western coalition giving democracy to people in the middle east works soooooo well...

The only time people really seem to "get" democracy is when their many-dynasties old king gives it to them, or a secular revolution makes it. Neither of those look really likely in Syria right now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4465 on: September 01, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:54:03 pm by Hotfire90 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: September 01, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »

So Kerry says it was Sarin, proven by blood and hair samples from First Responders (unlike most attacks in Syria, gas lingers, and many first responders and reporters were killed), and Obama has the right to strike regardless of Congress.

he only time people really seem to "get" democracy is when their many-dynasties old king gives it to them, or a secular revolution makes it. Neither of those look really likely in Syria right now.
I don't know, what about, er, Mexico? They are apparently democratic. A struggling democracy, but that doesn't make it not count.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4467 on: September 01, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »

Well, there was the church-led revolt starting in the early 1800s, leading to thirty years of military dictatorship under Porfirio Diaz, followed by a chaotic period of civil war and assassination. La Reforma came in in the mid-1800s and made it secular, which happened to be when things started to settle down.

So, by that standard, I suppose that in forty or fifty years, Egypt and Syria will be as stable and secure as Mexico is today. Doesn't that sound nice?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: September 01, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »

That's pretty neat.
Admittedly I would totally be yelling for an armed intervention or something if it was the other way around so I may be a bit hypocritical.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 416