Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364306 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4440 on: August 31, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »

Yes of course, groups like Al-Nusra are doing most of the fighting and the FSA are allied with them. That doesn't change the fact that the FSA are the lightest shade of gray though.

Interestingly I was just linked an article claiming the opposite.

Obama currently speaking. He has said he has decided to use military action and has authority to use military action, but is going to go to Congress for authorisation anyway.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: August 31, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »

Sure wish people were as cautious before Iraq.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: August 31, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »

I am under the impression the FSA isn't much without Al-Nusra.

Yes of course, groups like Al-Nusra are doing most of the fighting and the FSA are allied with them. That doesn't change the fact that the FSA are the lightest shade of gray though.
Ehh, no. If you side with Islamists you are not the lightest shade of grey.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:15 pm »

Unsupported rebellions will accept support from the first to offer if noone will.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: August 31, 2013, 01:52:56 pm »

As there is a finite number of people in Syria, there must be a finite number of shades of grey. Logic dictates there must be a lightest shade - which is it, then, if not the FSA?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: August 31, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »

As there is a finite number of people in Syria, there must be a finite number of shades of grey. Logic dictates there must be a lightest shade - which is it, then, if not the FSA?
I've heard Assad is lovely round this time of the year...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

People were too busy panicking and rushing around insisting SOMETHING no matter HOW STUPID had to be done.

If Cuba were to launch some missiles at us tomorrow, I'm sure the nation would immediately demand that we invade Syria with the full force of our armies.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:13:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: August 31, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »

People were too busy panicking and rushing around insisting SOMETHING no matter HOW STUPID had to be done.

If Cube were to launch some missiles at us tomorrow, I'm sure the nation would immediately demand that we invade Syria with the full force of our armies.

who is this cube you speak of? do you know something we don't? are you going to be the target of a tactical missile strike orchestrated by six-faced solid objects unless you invade syria? are the shapes holding you hostage

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:48 pm »

*Cuba

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »

Now that's not very pragmatic at all, is it? Sometimes we have to make compromises, and in the Middle East sometimes moderate Islamists are better than psychopathic dictators. Al-Nusra are not moderate, but the FSA are, at least in an official capacity. Before you show me the heart eating gentleman - he represents a particular brigade, not the whole army. The FSA operate rather like the international brigades did back in the Spanish Civil War, so each brigade can have a lot of autonomy and abstract views.

Excuse the violation of Godwin's law here, but if Nazi Germany invade a Muslim country (as they did), imagine the people rebelling are split into two - moderately Islamic pro-democracy rebels, radical Islamists. You side with the Nazis I take it? Or do you accept that, depending on how extreme the situation is, in some circumstances those who side with Islamists can represent a lighter shade of grey?

I've heard Assad is lovely round this time of the year...

So you support a man who killed at least 2000 of his own people in the space of 4 months over the most secular/democratic of the rebels (who were formed originally in an attempt to defend themselves against the brutality being meted out at them), simply because they side with radical Islamists in a marriage of convenience? And by "side" I mean "don't fight them until the war is over"?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:26:14 pm by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: August 31, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »

So, what way will congress jump? From what I gather, the USA is as usual polarized between staying out and jumping in with both feet in terms of some form of air war at the minimum... though the craziest voices do shout the loudest at times like these.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: August 31, 2013, 02:35:53 pm »

Obligatory Orwell link. Strange that nobody appears to have mentioned him yet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:59 pm »

When you consider George Orwell's position on armed intervention in wars, it's quite sad really that Christopher Hitchens would be called a "neo-con".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: August 31, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

Obligatory Orwell link. Strange that nobody appears to have mentioned him yet.
Well no one has really argued anything approaching an argument of pacifism. The arguments against war are pragmatic, not idealistic. Orwell's arguments apply, certainly, to a war where victory is important (at the minimum).

But the people arguing for war with Syria are not arguing for victory.

If they were, this would be a very, very different discussion (and the American people would be even more opposed to it, because of the inherent costs).

We are arguing the value of symbolic escalation - of blowing things up to send a "warning" that we'll be hard pressed to back up, against someone who's made it clear he intends to our ignore our warnings.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: August 31, 2013, 02:57:47 pm »

Has anyone heard about how Egypt is doing? Anyone attempting to explain the army's behavior?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 416