Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364649 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4365 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:20 pm »

Well, I'll explain it like this: At the end of the Second World War, the Allied forces had enough small arms ammunition to kill every single human being alive, or at least could purchase the remaining amount without much hassle. And this caused no one consternation, rightly, due to the fact that it would be long, costly, and surely someone one stop it before long. WMDs solved this.
Most of these weapons were dumped in the North and East seas actually. A ship running ashore on the wrong place could set of a chain reaction, destroying most marine life nearby. (Due to chemical weapons being stored too.)

Thing is, striking chemical weapon stockpiles is only slightly less dangerous then attacking a nuclear fuel facility. The potential for spillage and contamination is great, and the potential for wannabe terrorists to steal some even greater.
It would be more dangerous, actually. Nuclear fuel canisters and the like are much better armored. And harder to weaponize.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:34 pm »

Thing is, striking chemical weapon stockpiles is only slightly less dangerous then attacking a nuclear fuel facility. The potential for spillage and contamination is great, and the potential for wannabe terrorists to steal some even greater.
It would be more dangerous, actually. Nuclear fuel canisters and the like are much better armored. And harder to weaponize.
Significantly more dangerous if the material being stored is pressurized.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:54 pm »

The whole thing about taboo on chemicals weapons seems absurd to me after nobody influential said anything about Israel's use of white phosphorus... though I'm probably not as informed as I should be on that point.
I confess ignorance.

It's mostly from the weasel wording of the Geneva section pertaining to incendiary devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22310544
Use as an incendiary weapon against civilians prohibited (Protocol III of Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons)
A protocol to the 1980 Convention on Conventional Weapons bans the use of white phosphorus as an incendiary weapon against civilian populations or in air attacks against enemy forces in civilian areas.

They've phased it out according to reports and statements by officials, though, since the international response to the last usage wasn't as warm. Pun intended. I'm vocal about my disapproval of Israels actions like these. It just gives people more credence to claims Israelis aren't fair about recognizing international law. Israel still gets a free pass for the most part, unfortunately.

I'm sure they know they'd better be stepping on eggshells now, though. Prepare to see a very calm Israel for a while, at least less bellicose than it has been.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

The whole thing about taboo on chemicals weapons seems absurd to me after nobody influential said anything about Israel's use of white phosphorus... though I'm probably not as informed as I should be on that point.

Well WP is a strange one. It's illegal to use as a chemical/toxic agent or an incendiary against civilian targets, but legal to use against military targets or to use as a smoke screen/marker. Both Israel and the US have made use of these legal aspects, which may well have secondary effects similar to (if not quite as great as) the illegal uses. For example, US use in smoke screens will have had toxic effects on exposed populations in Iraq, while Israel managed to burn parts of Gaza (including a UN compound) while using it as a marker. But neither use is technically a chemical weapon attack and short of a complete ban on the compound in all applications (and it's a very useful compound) you can't really stop such secondary effects easily. It's more comparable to depleted uranium than chemical weapons IMO.

I'd go with 10ebbor10 that it's more dangerous. Nuclear materials for bomb making are unlikely to cause a great risk even if they do get dispersed. You don't have that much material and it's relatively harmless if not actually in a bomb. The forms of plutonium and uranium that you use in weapons aren't all that radiologically active by default, otherwise they would decay away before you get to use the weapon. Pu-239 has a half life of 24,100 years while U-235 has a half life of ~704 million years. The toxic effects of their being heavy metals are more scary that those radiation levels. And no external strike is likely to actually detonate any nuclear device I've ever heard of.

A chemical stockpile... well, depends on the chemical but you might be best to hit the area as hard as you can with massive incendiary weapons to burn it off. No matter what it won't be fun to be in the local area. You can almost make a case for ground strikes to secure the stockpiles, although that also seems extremely hard and almost as risky (even ignoring that it puts American troops in direct contact with chemical weapons...).

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

A chemical stockpile... well, depends on the chemical but you might be best to hit the area as hard as you can with massive incendiary weapons to burn it off. No matter what it won't be fun to be in the local area. You can almost make a case for ground strikes to secure the stockpiles, although that also seems extremely hard and almost as risky (even ignoring that it puts American troops in direct contact with chemical weapons...).

I highly doubt the regiments in command of said stockpiles wouldn't simply annihilate the radius surrounding them if American troops were closing in..

I'm worried the stockpiles are being liquidated as this debate goes. I'm not even sure the US should be getting involved, I certainly wouldn't want Israel to bear the brunt of a desperate Syrian military.

Syria's military literally depends on their chemical weaponry arsenal as a deterrent for invasion and internal dissent.

If that is truly threatened without thorough US contingency planning.. Expect to see a large chemical attack somewhere. Which scares me, as I have family in Tel Aviv. I'd be buying a gas mask if I lived near Syria/Israel right now.

Things like this can sever the already strained balance of peace/minor conflict that has been in place for a while.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

No matter what happens, I wish safety to your family, and hope they don't end up getting caught up in what's happening - for all our sakes. It seems like a lose/lose situation for everyone involved - but then, that's entire point of chemical weapons, isn't it? The reason the Syrian government built them to begin with, to insure a lose/lose situation.

I honestly don't know what's going to happen next.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: August 27, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »

Tel Aviv is incredibly safe. The entirety of north Israel has been under lots of drills since the uprising began. I worry in the case of a pre-emptive strike on Israel by a desperate Syria to get the US to stay away from their chemical weapons. It would literally take one or two moves of their stockpiles and US intelligence would not know where they were anymore, if they even know where a majority of them are now. There's very sporadic information and the only confirmed stockpile is in Damascus proper. So even if we annihilate that one completely we get to see the effects take hold on the city.

I also worry because I do not doubt that if any chemical weapon use becomes prolific the military will be gassing the living hell out of the Kurdish region. I do not want to see another massacre of their people.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »

So, If you are curious where we are in terms of the US moving forward, the Onion has summed it up.
Might need a second read-through before you get it.

I wonder how long now. I've heard Thursday, Congress wants to a recess to vote on it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: August 28, 2013, 02:46:39 am »

Yeah, the stuff is Obama is pressured into doing something, but short of a big invasion, there is not much you can do that'll be effective. Shooting a few missiles at Assad is a way for him to signal he's doing something while not doing much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:08 am »

I feel that the situation has been made so much worse by the fact that it has taken a long time for anyone to be motivated to act, based on how badly involvement in situations similar to this have gone in recent years. If chemical weapons have been used, it was probably under the assumption (of whichever side used them, rebels or state, and I am betting on both - the rebels first, small scale, then the state, larger scale in retaliation) that the west was not wiling to intervene in any way. If an intervention had been carried out early on, the UN/NATO/whoever could have had a guiding influence on the opposition to Assad when it appeared to be more moderate/secular and unified. Alas, the lack of an intervention has allowed so many disparate rebel goups to form the situation is a clusterfuck of moderates, extremists and jihadi nutters that we are now much better off standing back and dealing with whatever nation is left after the many shits have hit the rapidly rotating fan. Its a moral quandry, too - do we have an obligation to help all those rebelling against an opressive state, when they started a rebellion on thier own initiative and only scream for help when it doesnt quite go to plan? Where does the line get drawn? Do we cherry pick causes to support to suit our own needs while ignoring those that dont?
This is a blank sig.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: August 28, 2013, 07:28:33 am »

Tel Aviv is incredibly safe. The entirety of north Israel has been under lots of drills since the uprising began. I worry in the case of a pre-emptive strike on Israel by a desperate Syria to get the US to stay away from their chemical weapons. It would literally take one or two moves of their stockpiles and US intelligence would not know where they were anymore, if they even know where a majority of them are now. There's very sporadic information and the only confirmed stockpile is in Damascus proper. So even if we annihilate that one completely we get to see the effects take hold on the city.

I also worry because I do not doubt that if any chemical weapon use becomes prolific the military will be gassing the living hell out of the Kurdish region. I do not want to see another massacre of their people.

Assad knows better than to mess with israel. we are very very intolerant when it comes to gasses. and trains. and both of them mixed.

jokes aside, it will be the end of assad if he even fire one chemical warhead into an open field in israel. even saddam hussein who was a complete fool knew better than that.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:36 am »

So, If you are curious where we are in terms of the US moving forward, the Onion has summed it up.
Might need a second read-through before you get it.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:53 am »

To be fair, bombing Serbia worked out fairly well.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

To be fair, bombing Serbia worked out fairly well.
Some Chinese diplomats might disagree. Oh, wait - they are dead so they won't.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:17 am »

Extremely sketchy/unconfirmed rumours that are surfacing:

Quote from: Someone's Friend's Uncle's Granny's Cousin's Ex Boyfriend
"Countdown to WWIII

Possible intel has surfaced that is being passed through intel channels all over the place that Iran has received nuclear warheads in the bay of Chabahar from the North Koreans. They don't have the capabilities to launch them all the way to the US, but it is widely believed that they will be used against Israel if we were to attack Syria."

Having tried to comb through the internet's unruly locks for more information on those statements I can find absolutely nothing. It is most likely tripe.

The Iranians are of the opinion that the USA would never attack Syria. Interesting.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:42:56 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 416