Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364880 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4275 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »

Won't happen. The Egyptian military will push their luck, but they won't start anything they think they can't contain by spring, lest they lose their Camp David funding (which would kill them).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 14, 2013, 01:02:25 pm »

True, I forgot about that one. It won't stop the Brotherhood though.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:45 pm »

Give it a week till Baredi is begging to be VP again. I used to respect him but he's a shill and plays the music people want to hear at the moment. No credibility.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »

True, I forgot about that one. It won't stop the Brotherhood though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:32 pm »

We are at nearly 300 deaths and rising rapidly. 2 Churches have been burnt down in South Egypt, A police station has been attacked and protesters seethe through the streets. Oh and at least 1 protester burned to death in his tent. Clashes of Gun-fire rage throughout Cairo. The military is using tear-gas, water cannons, armored vehicles, bulldozers, live ammuntion, birdshot and snipers to pick off those who flee. Islamists are using Molotov Cocktails, clubs and make-shift shields. After a counter-push by the Islamists failed, the squares have been cleared.  State media have shown pictures of Islamists with Assault rifles. The Government says it is all conducted is a "Highly civilized manner" and blame the Islamists for any loss of life.*

It doesn't look good.

*Source: New York Times.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:01:44 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:18 pm »

Well lets get ready for a Egyptian civil war if thing don't calm down massively.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 15, 2013, 01:31:49 am »

Re:Camp David funding: Let us not forget the US government has not officially declared it was a coup yet. So I don't see why the funding would end.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 15, 2013, 01:38:34 am »

State media have shown pictures of Islamists with Assault rifles.
Actually, they also released infrared video purporting to show Morsi supporters firing on police.

Edit: Wow, this opinion piece by "the John Stewart of the Arab world" sums it up better than anything else I've read on the matter: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/opinion/youssef-egypt-political-upheaval/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:48:44 am by alway »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »

I am dumb-founded at how the military could have made such a stupid move, I mean, did they think this would go well? This level of response from the Islamists is the barest minimum of response I could imagine they have at their disposal right now. The Violence has undermined any hope of peace, and they can't expect long-term control if this gets worse. Well, it doesn't look good. Frankly, I'd prefer the liberals move against the government now, just because it would give the Islamists so much more ammo if they didn't.

Re:Camp David funding: Let us not forget the US government has not officially declared it was a coup yet. So I don't see why the funding would end.
But, we've also been proved that the government believes the US won' pull it, or at least gambled so. It'd hurt to lose our primary method of influence, but as this point we risk a situation were we have none anyway, the US certainly feels the pressure to do so.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 15, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

Edit: Wow, this opinion piece by "the John Stewart of the Arab world" sums it up better than anything else I've read on the matter: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/opinion/youssef-egypt-political-upheaval/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

What's that? Some Muslim Brotherhood members died at the Republican Guard headquarters? And why were they there in the first place? Aren't you glad this happened to them? Why aren't you gloating? You must be a Brotherhood supporter! You must be an enemy of the military and the state and probably work as a part-time terrorist!
No. I support the demonstrations that started on June 30th and saw that former president Mohamed Morsy was unfit to be president, but that doesn't deny the fact that I believe there needs to be a thorough investigation into the events at the Republican Guard headquarters, that I'd like to know how long the Islamists' TV channels will be closed; and that I find the private media to be full of discrimination and inciting rhetoric.

Its nice to know even self-described journalists cannot google simple facts that oppose predisposed laughable views of 'equality':

http://www.aim.org/newswire/media-blames-egyptian-military/

Reuters reports that Muslim Brotherhood supporters and protesters “stood their ground” when Egyptian security forces pushed back pro-Morsi protests this past week. The international community condemned the military, while not checking whether the military or security forces instigated the violence nor if they actually fired on protesters to start with.

Muslim Brotherhood accused the military of shooting to kill, while the military said they were not the ones who shot the protesters. The media also forgot how the Muslim Brotherhood had imprisoned pro-democracy bloggers, pushed through an Islamist constitution with a majority in the country’s parliament, mishandled the Egyptian economy and had started to make closer ties with Iran.

Human Events investigated the viral videos of pro-Morsi supporters getting shot and concluded that pro-Morsi supporters shot each other to frame the military and security forces. Front Page Magazine also reported the same, but no corrections were made on part of the liberal mainstream media.

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/islam/in-egypt-media-sympathizes-with-muslim-brotherhood-persecution-of-christians-ignored/

Accordingly, among some Islamists, anti-Christian fury has taken on genocidal proportions. Recently a Libyan Muslim named Tamar Rashad called in to a talk show, saying “I want to offer the good news to [Pope] Tawadros that, Allah willing, the day is coming when no Copt will ever again tread the ground of Egypt – and no churches. We will no longer allow churches to exist.” When the TV host appeared to protest, Rashad interrupted him saying, “It’s already decided, take your cameras and go to the churches and you’ll see what’s going to happen soon, Allah willing.”

In fact, it has become difficult in the last few days to keep up with the attacks on Egypt’s Christians, so many and nonstop are the reports emanating from human-rights organizations in Egypt. Especially throughout Upper Egypt – in Minya, Asyut, Sohag – Christians and their churches are under attack; dozens of Coptic homes and businesses have been set on fire. Due to the risk to Christian lives, many churches are no longer holding regular worship services.

Also often left untold by the major media is that Copts suffered unprecedented abuses under Morsi’s one year of rule – through legal measures as well as extralegal ones.

For example, in April, after Christians mourned several Copts who were killed by Muslims in St. Mark’s Cathedral, Coptic Christianity’s holiest site and home to the Coptic pope (before he went into hiding from recent death threats), Muslim mobs who had waited outside launched yet another attack. Eyewitnesses said as many as 40–50 tear gas canisters targeted the mourners, many of whom were women and children hiding in the cathedral. Two more Copts were killed and many dozens wounded as other officers stood by while the Muslim mob tried to destroy the cathedral. As one Egyptian political commentator pointed out at the time, under Mubarak, not even a pebble was thrown at St. Mark’s Cathedral.

[From Follow up article]
To make matters worse, Sheikh Yusif al-Qaradawi, one of the Islamic world’s leading preachers and spiritual father of the Muslim Brotherhood, has given his formal stamp of approval to persecute Copts, recently posting a video saying that “Christians” and others “were recruited [by Egypt’s military] to kill innocent Muslims.”

As expected, all these incitements against the Copts issued by several top Islamist leaders have so upped anti-Copt sentiment that it has become difficult in the last few days to keep up with the attacks on them—so many and nonstop are the reports emanating from Egypt.  All throughout Upper Egypt—in Minya, Asyut, Sohag—Christians and their churches are under attack; dozens of Coptic homes and businesses have been set on fire.  Due to the risk to Christian lives, many churches are no longer holding regular worship services.

The situation has gotten so dire that Ibrahim Eissa, a popular Egyptian journalist and TV personality, apparently unable to keep silent over the plight of the Copts, recently said on live TV: “The Christians have suffered in Egypt, over the course of 2 ½ years.  Their churches have been burned, their children killed.  The Maspero Massacre occurred, where several Copts were slain.  Catastrophic fatwas appeared, calling them infidels and inciting against them….  No one has suffered as much as they.  Today, if any Christian attempts to join a protest, he does so at the risk of defying dozens of fatwas calling for his death and decapitation and the burning of churches, especially in Upper Egypt.”

Beheaded in Sinai for being Christian: remains of Magdy Lam‘i Habib
With the ouster of Muhammad Morsi, Egypt’s Islamists have finally gotten the pretext they need to cleanse the nation of its Christian minority, the Copt’s—ironically, Egypt’s most native sons.

The unprecedented hate currently being visited on them is fueled by Islam’s “How Dare You?” phenomenon: As conquered non-Muslims, Christians must live as dhimmis, that is, according to traditional Islamic teaching, barely tolerated “infidels” who must be humble and submissive—to the point that they are not permitted to raise their hands to Muslims even when attacked.

Far from assuming their “proper place,” Egypt’s Christians supported the June 30 Revolution against the will and threats of the Brotherhood.  Thus, to Egypt’s disenfranchised and bitter Brotherhood and its supporters, Egypt’s Christians, beginning with their pope, are all now free game.

This is not about the camps specifically, but this is:

http://news.yahoo.com/protests-swell-prompt-egypt-postpone-dispersal-212731071.html

The Interior Ministry has depicted the encampments as a public danger, saying 11 bodies bearing signs of torture were found near both sites. Amnesty International has also reported that anti-Morsi protesters have been captured, beaten, subjected to electric shocks or stabbed. At least eight bodies have arrived at a morgue in Cairo bearing signs of torture, the human rights group said.

Reporters Without Borders said two journalists were beaten by Morsi supporters while covering a Brotherhood march Friday in Cairo.

Setting up barbed wire and stone wall ringed camps in the middle of town, kidnapping women to rape them, kidnapping anti-Islamist protestors to torture them so they stop protesting.. that is not a protest. It is terrorism. The military has every right to restore order and remove a violent pro-Theocracy movement.

They won an election and thought that winning a 40% turnout vote [with 51%] makes them the only party allowed to win forever and were stepping up actions to make it so the parliament was entirely under the grip of Islamists with their forced-through constitution. They are a disgrace to Islam and holding the entire Muslim world down, no matter what US Selective-Liberals say about it.

"Islamic law, not secular law!" Is their creed and they will die by it if need be. Extremists have no right holding a nation hostage.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:12 pm »

I'm just glad they managed the extraordinary feat of burning almost all the goodwill they set up for themselves during the dictatorship in only two years. Hopefully they'll crash for good soon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »

._.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: August 15, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »

it's MSH so islamists. msh's hatred for religious fundies is only second to mine

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: August 15, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »

Mict, you don't have to believe every reports coming out. The same kind of rumors were going on about the secular protesters back then.

The main problem I see is that Islamists everywhere will see this as a further proof that democracy ain't what's on the tin: it only works when the secular guys win. And as such will try to obstruct democracy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:31 pm »

Mict, you don't have to believe every reports coming out.

Yeah, that's why I don't believe in fake outrage before the facts come out that Islamists were killing people to garner sympathy, as they have a track record of doing such.

The military deposed Morsi as he was attempting to create a dictatorship [with no care for non-Islamists] and launch a 'pre emptive' strike on Syria's secular rebels, along with police forces to create absolute post-war chaos and to clear the way for Al Qaeda to take over the power vaccuum. [Yes, this was here-say from a friend who still lives in Israel and lived in Egypt, yet, I do not doubt this at all, Egypt's military doesn't play that game]

The military called for support, and got it from the actual populace of Egypt, and now that Islamist prison camps [setup as bases to induce fear and kill people who disagree] have been dispersed the West is sympathetic to Islamists? What the hell topsy turvy world do we even live in anymore?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:10:35 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 416