Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364865 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4230 on: July 04, 2013, 07:43:22 am »

Well, they did get a constitution and elections done in a few months the last time, so there is a possibility that it will end better this time around.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52:19 am »

Constitution was never finished, and it's pretty easy to make one if all but one party leave

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: July 04, 2013, 08:50:33 am »

Yeah, but when? If they drag their feets, they could hold for years, until the new constitution is drafted, until a new parlimaent is elected, until.. blah, blah, blah.

Actually, they're operating on a timeline of less than a year.  After Mubarak's departure, the United States voted to add a bunch of conditional triggers to aid spending for Egypt, especially military aid.  The big one being that if Egypt's democratically elected government has been toppled by a coup, which regardless of whatever any court President Obama himself was pretty clear on calling this a coup, all that military aid money shuts off.

As it happens, the cycle of that payment was about a month ago, so the military has most of a year to get a new government working with elections before the next time they have to explain themselves.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: July 04, 2013, 08:53:52 am »

That's pretty cool. Cannot say I'm used to being pleased at the US' foreign policy, but this is one such case. congrats, Congress.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: July 04, 2013, 10:55:29 am »

Why do you think they didn't have talks instead of a coup? I doubt the Muslim brotherhood turned down offers of one last chance (more likely they where ignored), and it seems less likely to end messily, either due to his supporters or general dissatisfaction with the military's handling of the situation. They could probably have bumped forward elections to whit.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: July 05, 2013, 07:46:34 am »

From what I heard, they refused to talks in any meaningful way with the protesters until the military gave their ultimatums, and even afterward they refused to bulge, though at that point, the protesters' representatives were not inclined to compromise.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: July 05, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

3 have been killed and 69 injured by the army firing into a crowd. A BBC reporter was hit by shotgun pellets. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23202096
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:25:33 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: July 05, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »

It's more than that now. I hear 14 are dead and hundreds injured.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4238 on: July 06, 2013, 03:31:37 am »

Muslim Brotherhood wanted the Sharia law, right?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: July 06, 2013, 04:19:47 am »

Depends on what you put into the word. Not Taliban Sharia, but yeah. Kind of.
Love, scriver~

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4240 on: July 06, 2013, 04:51:48 am »

I have always wondered why the UN or the NATO does not ban and consider 'against the rights of humans' the Sharia law and the countries who follow it.
Doesn't it go against the freedom of the individual? (especially the female?)
Or is it the usual 'pink elephant' in the room nobody wants to deal with?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: July 06, 2013, 06:32:24 am »

Shariah law means a lot of different things to different people. The softer interpretation are not much different from the "Christian values" some Western politicians say they defends, so banning Shariah would be a mess.

Moreover, the disgusting bits (stoning women, cutting hands) are already banned in some treaty or others.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: July 06, 2013, 06:57:28 am »

Basically, yeah. Everything bad or at least everything really bad about Sharia is already banned. There's no need to ban Sharia in itself, especially since it can be, and certainly have been, interpreted so differently.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: July 06, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »

Any secular nation would, by default, have "banned" Sharia and all other religious law by default, as they are secular.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4244 on: July 06, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »

The question is: is it 'banned' or is it simply 'ignored'?
A nation is secular. You see a woman walking down the street in her burqa. Of course, just by that you know she is Muslim. Religions do that thing: they make it easy to identify others. If I see a rosary, a cross, or something then it's a Christian/Protestant/Religious believer of Christ. If I see a long beard and a kippa (is it called that?) then it's an orthodox Jew.
Now, when you see the aforementioned woman, can you be without a hint of doubt sure she is not beneath Sharia Law?
In Italy for example, there were cases where young girls who refused to 'follow the steps' of their mothers ended up killed or stoned to death, or their parents forcefully tried to deport them outside of the country.
When I say banned, i suppose I should be clarifying once more, I mean...is something done to keep out of a perfectly civilized society? It's easy to not see the difference, for if one were an actually devout muslim woman, wearing the burqa is the obvious thing...and you can't just go and ask 'do you believe in the sharia?'
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 416