Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364505 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4170 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:02 pm »

The White House confirms Syria has crossed the 'red line' of using chemical weapons.

This may help force some sort of intervention, but far from clear yet. There is no way they are getting a Libya style UN resolution with Russia openly supporting Assad. Trying to legally justify unilateral intervention in a mess civil war is hard.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: June 13, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »

Unless somebody starts a Marshal Plan: Syrian Edition, the country will be an economic ruin no matter who wins. Truefact: High explosives being detonated in urban centers is a very inefficient way to create jobs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: June 13, 2013, 09:06:04 pm »

Unless somebody starts a Marshal Plan: Syrian Edition, the country will be an economic ruin no matter who wins. Truefact: High explosives being detonated in urban centers is a very inefficient way to create jobs.
Lies. This is the most effective method ever. Ask Pre-Tsarist Russian Anarchists. So many jobs for the Okhrana were had.

Anyway, here's what I expect. Or hell, hope.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:23 pm »

High explosives being detonated in urban centers is a very inefficient way to create jobs.
Wait, what? Shit.
In case of watch lists, this post is intended to be humorous in nature and does not in any way reflect actual deeds or intentions of myself or anybody I know.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: June 14, 2013, 12:57:24 am »

On a side note, I found my quote

Quote from: E.B. WHITE
Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half the time.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:09 am »

The stuff is, the administration is only sending small arms and ammo apparently. They need anti-air weapons and ATGs. You don't bring a bomber down with an assault rifle...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:21 am »

Problem being, you don't want to rush to give heavy armament to people who may potentially hate you almost as much as the people they're fighting against. (cf. Afghan mujhadeen).

"Hey, let's give Stinger missiles to Sunni militants with connections to al-Qaeda. There is absolutely NO way this could go badly."

Not to mention Israel is liable to lose its shit at the thought of the US funnelling heavy weapons into an unfriendly next door neighbor that they semi-regularly bomb. It's not as if the Syrian rebels are going to be pro-Israeli when this is all over.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: June 14, 2013, 09:18:31 am »

I think NATO and the wider EU might just have to take a bite of this awful shit sandwich and intervene with a no-fly-zone over Syria. This won't be like Libya; there will be casualties, we will lose planes and pilots, there will be hostility with Russia and Iran (we will probably kill Iranian soldiers that are on the ground in Syria right now); we just can't allow this to spread into Lebanon or Israel or Iraq or the wider area. This war shows no sign of easing up and Assad has already damned himself to an untenable position as leader of Syria.

Of all the times we should have been intervening in the Middle East, I think now may be the time we're needed most.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:22:43 am by Owlbread »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:55 am »

Well, Israel has yet to do anything to the rebels, so far all of their attacks have been directed at Hezbollah. AND, they were one of the countries making the argument that Syria used chemical weapons.

Frankly, I'd think Israel prefers a country that hates it but is bound by not wanting to risk self-destruction,(even Hezbollah doesn't like getting destroyed.) to a country full of random angry people with guns, tanks, planes, Chemical weapons, more guns, and more militants then you can shake a stick at. Nations have to deal with the fact that you can bomb them, and kill their citizens, and destroy their industry, etc. while amorphous terrorist groups don't have that problem

In addition, there is a non Al Nusra front related organization, which is where the US is funneling it's weapons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: June 15, 2013, 07:02:19 am »

Winds of change sweep over Iran:

Hassan Rouhani, a fairly moderate, reformist-backed Presidential candidate is leading in early popular vote counts to succeed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for the Presidency of Iran.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 15, 2013, 07:04:38 am »

Told ya. Leave the extremists* alone, and they'll come to their senses eventually. The fact that we're slowly murdering their economy with sanctions also has something to do with it, I suppose.

Though well, the religious leadership is attempting to maintain control. Intimidation, shutting down media, blocking out most other reformist candidates,... Probably also committed fraud in the last elections (Protestors that got arrested then are still under house arrests, so no protests are expected). We'll see what happens. Besides, it's only a moderate reformist candidate, so don't expect to much too happen.

*Not that they were that extreme to begin with, but..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:16:57 am by 10ebbor10 »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:30 am »

I sincerely recommend that the title of this thread be changed to "Middle Eastern Politics Megathread". Perhaps we should even have a "Politics" subforum.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:13:39 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 15, 2013, 09:12:29 am »

Told ya. Leave the extremists* alone, and they'll come to their senses eventually. The fact that we're slowly murdering their economy with sanctions also has something to do with it, I suppose.

Though well, the religious leadership is attempting to maintain control. Intimidation, shutting down media, blocking out most other reformist candidates,... Probably also committed fraud in the last elections (Protestors that got arrested then are still under house arrests, so no protests are expected). We'll see what happens. Besides, it's only a moderate reformist candidate, so don't expect to much too happen.

*Not that they were that extreme to begin with, but..
Tell that to all the people they had slaughtered for harmless or completely fictional slights against their god.

Anyway, the Iranian elections are an illusory sham to keep the public happy. The Guardian Council approves all candidates and can veto any bills they pass anyway, so even if by some miracle a true reformer won the presidency and the Islamic Consultative Assembly had a majority of reformers, it wouldn't mean anything. Iran is not a democracy. It is a theocracy with democratic trappings.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: June 15, 2013, 09:35:37 am »

Tell that to all the people they had slaughtered for harmless or completely fictional slights against their god.

Anyway, the Iranian elections are an illusory sham to keep the public happy. The Guardian Council approves all candidates and can veto any bills they pass anyway, so even if by some miracle a true reformer won the presidency and the Islamic Consultative Assembly had a majority of reformers, it wouldn't mean anything. Iran is not a democracy. It is a theocracy with democratic trappings.

Somehow I am reminded of your proposals for "managed democracy" on the last few pages.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:30 am »

Little more than 1000 since the Iranian Revolution, if my sources are correct(Primarly the wiki). While this doesn't justify anything, it's not as bad as Afghanistan, or many other countries. Certainly doesn't compare to the 1.2 million deaths of the First Gulf war, which was at least partly financed by the US and US allies(And much of the West of course. Made a killing selling weapons to both sides.).

And well, the council has to compromise. Sanctions are killing the Iranian economy, and while the protests have been suppressed, they haven't died down completely. Most likely the "reformist" candidate will win, and we'll end up seeing some token compromises. Don't expect sweeping changes, however.

The US just never got over the fact that their embassy was taken hostage, hence why Iran is always the absolute evil nation of evil doomness.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:34:03 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 416