Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364514 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2640 on: December 10, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »

problem is, being dependent of something is bad, being addicted is worst.
petrol shouldn't be the majority of energy production for the simple reason that it's finite.
when it's gone it's going to be like 7 billion crackpots without their dough.
They'll try to go green by then, but it's going to be too late.
it's better to remove it now, see how much they fare, and, if needed give it back a little.
like with methadon to remove the cocain addiction. small doses going littler and littler.
Problem is, if I were a ruler i'd place so many eolic generators and thermal generators to cover half the world population. (i'd even place them on top of the mountains, or similar) or i'd try and launch them in space, and have then send down energy through enormous storing batteries.
i'd force cyclette marches to increase electricity, all just to remove petrol addiction, and thus, remove "arab addiction", and "libya" addiction.

or dam energy. like there is in america, someplace. we have a lot of rivers, we could use them.
why weren't i born as the son of some monarch/emperor. i'd change the world.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 10, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »

Well yes, the hydroelectric dams of the US provide an incredible amount of power, such as the Hoover, Grand Coulee, et cetera. Same with the Three Gorges dam. The only problem is that you can't build them everywhere. It takes more than a river, it takes mountains. If we could harness the Mississippi, we could power the whole continent. But we can't. It has a floodplain 80 miles wide, and building a dam wouldn't make a usable lake reservoir, it would make a flooded Great Plains, if we could even stop it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2642 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »

couldn't you dig the bed of the river deeper? and then create an artificial lake?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »

Well yes, the hydroelectric dams of the US provide an incredible amount of power, such as the Hoover, Grand Coulee, et cetera. Same with the Three Gorges dam. The only problem is that you can't build them everywhere. It takes more than a river, it takes mountains. If we could harness the Mississippi, we could power the whole continent. But we can't. It has a floodplain 80 miles wide, and building a dam wouldn't make a usable lake reservoir, it would make a flooded Great Plains, if we could even stop it.
Wait.

What if we just built rivers and mountains to put hydroelectric dams on? Or made artificial substitutes? We could power the planet just by moving water around and stealing energy from it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2644 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »

like using desalynized water? in that way it would also help reduce the sea level, and there would be more salt around the table...
i'm liking this stuff more and more.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 10, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

couldn't you dig the bed of the river deeper? and then create an artificial lake?
Alright, you get on that plan to dig the river deep enough to hold all of the runoff from more than a third of the US, and parts of Canada. It would be mind-bogglingly expensive.

What if we just built rivers and mountains to put hydroelectric dams on? Or made artificial substitutes? We could power the planet just by moving water around and stealing energy from it.
Right, and we could also produce infinite energy by hand-crank generators!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:15 pm »

Right, and we could also produce infinite energy by hand-crank generators!
By the gods, this could be the key to anti-gravity! Simply place an object on the top of a mountain and then, without moving the object, remove the mountain!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 10, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

And that's why we need to work out this green energy thing.
Especially as production 1 unit of bioethanol equivalent of petrol requires using 0,5 to 0,9 unit of petrol.

In general: 2 words: "peak oil"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 10, 2011, 02:57:16 pm »

Corn-based ethanol was a bad idea.  There are other sources of ethanol, which are moderately less bad ideas. 

Also, wasn't this the Middle-East Revolution and Rebuilding thread?  How's it going in Egypt so far?  Last I heard, the military government was looking suspiciously "old-boss"-ish, but I hadn't heard how the people were taking it . . .
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 10, 2011, 04:45:22 pm »

Hydroelectric dams are not very green.  They cause a lot of environmental destruction and disrupt a river's ecosystem.  They're blamed extensively for massive drops in migrant fish populations, for instance.

There's a major damn project in Brazil that's just been finalized, that's predicted to flood 400,000 hectares of forest, displace 40,000 indigenous people, and cause the extinction of many species.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 11, 2011, 05:45:52 am »

The Grand Coulee dam in eastern Washington state powers stuff from Juneau to Panama, but it had some impact. The salmon rarely migrate past it, due to lack of funding for salmon ladders. It flooded the historic Kettle Falls, where natives from hundreds of miles away congregated each year for festivals and salmon fishing. It put two towns underwater, which forced several thousand people to relocate. But I think the benefit outweighs the cost. That thing could power several small countries on its own.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:51 am »

Extinction of species of a pretty drastic cost.  In Brazil, it's massive destruction of one of the most valuable ecosystems on earth.

And above all, it's incredibly callous towards the indigenous effected.  It's easy to see benefits from our fully modern integrated perspectives.  To indigenous natives, it's nothing but a vicious assault on their already endangered way of life.  Any justification is completely egocentric.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:07 am »

Also, wasn't this the Middle-East Revolution and Rebuilding thread?  How's it going in Egypt so far?  Last I heard, the military government was looking suspiciously "old-boss"-ish, but I hadn't heard how the people were taking it . . .

Yeah, there's a lot who aren't taking it well (mostly the younger crowd), but then there seem to be a number of people who are supporting the military government as well. Society is a bit more evenly divided this time around. I think there's some desire for law and order and a return to normalcy, especially by merchants because the continued unrest and uncertainty has been bad for business and for the economy in general.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2653 on: December 11, 2011, 07:30:14 am »

Extinction of species of a pretty drastic cost.  In Brazil, it's massive destruction of one of the most valuable ecosystems on earth.

And above all, it's incredibly callous towards the indigenous effected.  It's easy to see benefits from our fully modern integrated perspectives.  To indigenous natives, it's nothing but a vicious assault on their already endangered way of life.  Any justification is completely egocentric.

you mean the same indigenous native, who, in need of more space for their population need, are the principal cause of wood chopping in south america?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 11, 2011, 07:37:06 am »

you mean the same indigenous native, who, in need of more space for their population need, are the principal cause of wood chopping in south america?
Sources?
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 416