Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364506 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2625 on: December 10, 2011, 04:27:29 am »

but would you figure the faces the arabs would make when there is no longer a reason to give them money?
they'd crumble to dust in a couple of years.
the petrol emirates would have to sell everything, since they are so keen on spending everything they have in golden cars or the like.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 10, 2011, 04:37:46 am »

China would still buy their oil, so it'd be a major loss of revenue for them, but nothing impossible to manage (even if the barrel fall to 40$, well, that's what they were being paid a few years ago, nothing impossible to manage.

Actually, the real looser would be the russians, as Putin need every penny he gets to subsidies his regime.

But still, I'm 100% behind the "Let's save the planet to troll the Saudi" plan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2627 on: December 10, 2011, 06:19:28 am »

good. Now i just need to find the perfect island to perform experiments of doubt nature to realize a sort of petrol eating virus.
that way either the countries start working on other forms of energy, or we get back to carriages and horses.
(which doesn't seem bad by the way, i mean...think about it, cleaner air, better stuff, yeah, electricity would be hard, but you could use solar panels, or potatoes. lot's of potatoes.)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 10, 2011, 06:32:16 am »

If we went back to horse-power, we would be literally knee-deep in shit after just a few weeks as the streets filled up with horse dung.
Love, scriver~

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 10, 2011, 06:33:26 am »

If we went back to horse-power, we would be literally knee-deep in shit after just a few weeks as the streets filled up with horse dung.
And that's why they invented the bike. Would also solve our weight problem

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2630 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:49 am »

and horse dung is a nice fertilizer, and it also BURNS WELL. so thermal reactors on horse dung. it's perfect.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 10, 2011, 09:08:16 am »

Also, the global economy would collapse. Lack of food to feed your starving children and no central heating in winter might be too high a price for trolling few rich arabs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 10, 2011, 09:11:02 am »

Moving to renewable would collapse the world economy.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 10, 2011, 09:33:41 am »

It's probably going to collapse anyway when gas becomes $5 a gallon, so we might as well have it collapse for a good reason.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2634 on: December 10, 2011, 09:51:23 am »

Also, the global economy would collapse. Lack of food to feed your starving children and no central heating in winter might be too high a price for trolling few rich arabs.

you're right. before the 1600 century people were famished every single day.
and in the 1492 americans had it so hard they gave up.
sure, you'd end up sooner or later with no plastic, but this doesn't remove the rest.
sure you'd end up without many machinery, but it's not like people lost their hands.
sure, there wouldn't be mass production anymore, but i'm sure there are a lot of unemployed people who have nothing better to do during their days, and could be employed in planting stuff.
We are not completely and utterly dependent on gasoline, or petrol. We choose to be.
we are addicted to it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »

Back then there weren't 7 billion of us. The current population can't be sustained without modern agriculture, which heavily relies on petrol.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »

So we better not use it for silly stuff like cars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 10, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »

Back then there weren't 7 billion of us. The current population can't be sustained without modern agriculture, which heavily relies on petrol.
Which heavily relies on petrol for now. We have at least a few decades to create alternate pathways to mass food production. Genetic engineering has certainly helped to create crop strains that need less and are more resilient, so perhaps it can apply here as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2638 on: December 10, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »

well, they did discover kepler something, now, it's just 600 hundred light years from here, but if i can get a ticket, i might start thinking of going there.
so either you find a way for faster than light travel, or we send an automated ship with people in suspended animation and hope a comet doesn't kill them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 10, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »

Shadenight, uh, we choose to be dependent because all of those things are really nice. Industrialization meant a higher standard of living, plus being able to support a higher population. We could regress to a pre-industrialized society, but many people would die.

And that's why we need to work out this green energy thing. (Go go fusion!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 416