Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364548 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2565 on: November 21, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is it just me or does that look 'shopped?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »

Just you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 21, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »

Does anyone got info about the current unrest in Egypt? It looks like the Egyptians don't like the military openly taking over.

Also, it's funny how similar to US law enforcement the Egytian police is.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »

The egyptian police buy most of their kit from US suppliers...

The renewed unrest in Egypt wasn't unexpected. Neither was the heavy handling of it. Both will probably get worse in the days to come. As for info, the Guardian and al-Jaz have decent coverage.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm reading Al-Jazeera right now. 32 deaths so far...

I wonder how this will end. I don't see the army bending to the protesters... Will this turn into another civil war?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 21, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »

The renewed unrest in Egypt wasn't unexpected. Neither was the heavy handling of it. Both will probably get worse in the days to come. As for info, the Guardian and al-Jaz have decent coverage.

Amazing how little American television coverage its getting.  Or not, depending on your perspective.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:06 pm »

I read this and was all like "Wow, just wow."
Yea, this will be civil war. Many will die from it.

There seems to be no real concern shown for the people. The people who just finished a massive protest to get rid of a lack of change. They were victorious, and then they are shown that the true problem wasn't the president they removed, but the military. So they not only think they can win, but the problem is the one with all the guns, not the one who was nominally in charge there.
Yea, things aren't going to go pretty. Also there won't be NATO bombing runs protecting the "rebels". Expect to see some massive bloodshed there in the next few months.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 21, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »

My dad's in Egypt right now (or was, heading for Tunisia atm) with our (Finland's) foreign minister. He's a photographer for a magazine here and they're tagging along to write about the minister's trip and the revolutions in general. Not that I have any kind of super-exclusive info for you, durr. I'll let you know his thoughts on what's going on once he gets back.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 21, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »

Well that's disapointing. Here I was thinking that things were going to change over there.

How does that song go? "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 21, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »

And it is a good outcome of revolution, sometimes it is "Meet the new boss, worse than old boss".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

Be damned if this old thread's title isn't suddenly relevant all over again.

Egyptians are marching on Tahrir again.  The military is still pulling its punches compared to what a military could do against a street uprising, but it's nothing like the complete non-show of force at the beginning of the year and could easily already be blowing away what the national police ever did.  The United States, Germany (ironically, the real power of Europe in this economy), and the UN Secretary General and basically everyone under him are publically calling for the military to end curfews and release power immediately if not sooner.  Things suddenly got a bit more complicated today, diplomatically at least, when the government arrested three U.S. students in the country, accusing them of throwing firebombs at soldiers.  Here we go again.

Meanwhile in arguably optimistic news, after being one of the most straight up violent stages of the Arab Spring (back when it was Spring) before Libya went to war, President Saleh of Yemen has agreed to leave power and possibly the country.  Of course, he's suffering from possible brain damage after an explosion, and only transferred power to his long-time hand-picked Vice President, after about eight solid months of a low scale civil war.  But hey, it's a precedent at this point.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 23, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

Huh. You don't get emails like this every day.
Quote from: RIT Message Center email
RIT Leader is Named Deputy Prime Minister of Libya
Mustafa Abushagur, president of RIT Dubai, returns to his homeland to rebuild government
 The president of RIT Dubai is returning to his homeland to serve as the deputy prime minister in the newly liberated country of Libya. Mustafa Abushagur, who is also a professor of microsystems engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology, will leave his RIT post immediately for an eight-month period to begin building a democracy in Libya.

Read the full news release here: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=48743
That college professors are the ones being drafted into the interim government certainly makes me more hopeful about the future of Libyan democracy.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 24, 2011, 03:33:54 am »

I guess it should not really suprise people that the military of a third world country otherthrowing it's secular civilian government in a coup isn't historically the best path toward democratic reform. I can't think of too many instances where a military junta has ever been a good thing.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:47:58 am by Montague »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:07 am »

Turkey fulfills most of the requirements, except their military only overthrows the government when it's not secular. It also helps that the leaders of Turkey's military only seem to be interested in leading the military, and care little for the civilian government so long as it maintains at least some air of secular conduct.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 24, 2011, 03:54:46 am »

That they share our dislike of nonsecular goverments doesn't make a military playing kingmaker a good thing.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 416