Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364818 times)

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2385 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:05 am »

Yugoslavia: ~500 lives.
Genocide denial?

What.
Civilian casualties during the "Allied Force" operation according to Human Rights Watch.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:25 am »

Given what the other side was doing at the time, 500 death seems like an okay price to stop that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 22, 2011, 10:49:19 am »

Thought you were saying that Milosevic was responsible for just 500 deaths.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 22, 2011, 11:16:57 am »

Given what the other side was doing at the time, 500 death seems like an okay price to stop that.

Death is never an okay price. By the way, this is

Civilian casualties during the "Allied Force" operation according to Human Rights Watch.

and you are mentioning the war in 1995. And AF took place in 1999.

So again, I am talking about ~500 innocent people killed by NATO bombings, NOT about all people lost during wars in this region.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 22, 2011, 11:33:52 am »

I tough you were talking about the NATO bombing of 1995, I didn't understood "Allied Force" was a operation name. Still, killing people to save more people is okay.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 22, 2011, 12:09:16 pm »

Not okey. Necessary evil.
Love, scriver~

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 22, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »

Is just one civilian casualty unacceptable?  Because every war results in civilian casualties, and I think most people would agree that, say, World War II was justified.  (Granted - every side during that war intentionally targeted civilian populations, when they probably didn't need to)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 22, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »

I think most people would agree that, say, World War II was justified
*snort*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:08 pm »

Yay Godwin!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 22, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »

Suddenly I wonder how many times has Godwin been invoked here so far...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 22, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »

I don't see a problem with drawing comparisons to Hitler when it's actually relevant.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 22, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

Indeed, what started as a way to end constant and worthless "Appeal to Nazi" arguments has turned into a "DUR HUR HUR U MENTIONED HITLER I WIN ARGUMENT" button. That's not to say that the rejection of fallacious-Nazi related arguments has stopped, but that has become the minority.

World War II and everything about it was a very important part of history and had a huge role in defining the 20th century; in debates this should not be ignored out of fear of being "Godwin'd".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 22, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »

I like how people say "World War II was justified" on the assumption that our thoughts will turn exclusively to the infallibly righteous Allied struggles, and completely ignore any other context of that conflict, which can easily be turned against the original point.  WWII is like pretty much every other conflict.  It was "justified" by the wrongdoing of the other side, who felt "justified" by the wrongdoing of another, who felt "justified" by the wrongdoing of yet another, and so on...  Soldiers killing civilians to prevent the killing of civilians to prevent the killing of civilians to prevent the killing of civilians. 

Where is the root justification?  Is there an unmoved mover in the chain of violent conflict through history?  All I see is absurdity.

Think about the war on terror, where the overwhelming majority of casualties inflicted by the "good guys" have been civilians.  What's the justification?  That we can't allow terrorists to continue targeting civilians, of course!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 22, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »

I said World War II, not Hitler.  Don't forget about the shit that Japan did in China, too.  Plus, it was just an example.  My point was that, while having zero tolerance of civilian casualties might be an logically consistent position, it results in a level of pacifism that most people would be uncomfortable with.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »

You know, from a conflictive point of view, Civilians are only innocent if they attempt to topple their government who is at war.
Governments derive their power from their citizens. Therefore every action a government takes is the responsibility of every individual citizen.
So there was no such thing as "Innocent Civilians". If there were, their government would have killed them.
It's the same argument about how youl have culpability if your governing body executes an innocent man.

Quote from: Edmund Burke
"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

This is true from governments executing war in your name to letting the boy across the street burn an ant down. Know who is responsible for Gaddafi's abuses? Phoenicians. Yep, that's right. They are the fools who decided to colonize the place. If not for them, the area around Libya would have been tribal nomads. Actually that isn't true, since another people would have eventually caused the same problems probably with a similar result.

Sure, argue about the innocent lives who were lost, but the truth is when Mahdi Ziu bombed the gates of Katiba, the revolution wasn't going to end without a whole hell of a lot more than 200-700 lives lost. That was before Nato even got involved. The only difference was who would call them "innocents". Does it matter where the funding came from? Nope. Anarchy or collateral death. Those are the choices organized groups of humans face. We are who we are. Show me one society that has lasted more than a single generation that this hasn't been true for and I'll make you president of the world.

By the way, what is going on with Egypt's Junta?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 416