Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365206 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2220 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:58 am »

He's just gonna disband the Senate till the rebellion has been quelled.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2221 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:09 am »

You want to know what I predict? The republicans will swear that they will get him out of office, and the democrats will swear to fight it to the last man, and neither of them will actually do anything about it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 16, 2011, 11:42:07 am »

Obama does have some enemies among the Democrats.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 16, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

The House has already voted to de-fund the Libya operation but who knows what will happen to that bill in the Senate.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 17, 2011, 07:18:51 pm »

Man, we're not agreeing on ANYTHING lately.  :P

Destabilizing the PRC is about the worst fucking thing on the planet right now. With the global economy more or less fucked, our best hope is that the countries who are still growing act like a tugboat and tug our asses back to some semblance of normality. Human rights frankly don't mean shit if 1/3 of the population is starving (like in the 60's) and another 1/3 is streaming into every other country in range. The refugee situation from Guangdong alone would swamp Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand.

China's recent failed bond auction is a sign that China's growth has basically stopped.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 17, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

Man, we're not agreeing on ANYTHING lately.  :P

Destabilizing the PRC is about the worst fucking thing on the planet right now. With the global economy more or less fucked, our best hope is that the countries who are still growing act like a tugboat and tug our asses back to some semblance of normality. Human rights frankly don't mean shit if 1/3 of the population is starving (like in the 60's) and another 1/3 is streaming into every other country in range. The refugee situation from Guangdong alone would swamp Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand.

China's recent failed bond auction is a sign that China's growth has basically stopped.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 17, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

He's just gonna disband the Senate till the rebellion has been quelled.
All hail Caesar?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »

History repeats itself all the time, my friend.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 18, 2011, 04:48:44 am »

I am slightly annoyed Obama isn't seeking congressional approval for his military action in Libya, clearly violating the War Powers Act.
Especially since it's a rather unimportant war for the US, and one where he's been dragged in in the first place. US could just provide logistical support or something. Maybe there is a secret treaty somewhere who bind his hands. I know Belgium has to accept transit in Antwerpen for Irak because of one.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 18, 2011, 05:22:23 am »

Still, he asked for approval by the UN and not Congress? I know Congress republican are ass (Democrats too, but they're supposed to be on his side) but I'm pretty sure he could have got their spport anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:43 am »

You think wrong. The reason is three fold. One, we're broke and sick of war as a nation. Two, Republicans only care about getting involved in foreign conflicts if someone is shooting at Americans or are threatening our assets and top allies. They don't care about non-American struggles for independence, unless a victory would screw over a power that we're afraid of.

And three, they just plain hate Obama and will nay say even the things they agree might be good. With elections in the US now only a  little more than a year away, virtually all legislation is being viewed in terms of how it will enhance or hurt the parties chances of winning the White House. Any measure of approval Republicans give Obama makes them look weak to their base, and looks like a + mark on Obama's "What I did with my 4 years in the White House" scoreboard.

Obama didn't seek Congressional approval because he knows that both Republicans and Democrats would have rejected it. The irony is all this BS is on par with the level of warfare we've waged previously without a lick of congressional approval. Unlike previous administrations, Obama was committed to acting publicly when acting covertly may have been far more prudent. People will disagree about his motives for that. His supporters will say he's fulfilling our commitment to supporting fledgling democratic movements with something other than black ops and weapons. His detractors will claim it's just a PR move and/or stupid and reckless.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:31:52 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:00 am »

So why are we in Libya but not Syria?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:15 am »

Yup, but why would have he wanted to go to war in the first place : Europe was on it. Of course the state of our armies....
Let's say we discovered that we hadn't any decent ground attack airplane and that we fallen short of munitions, but we could just have bought those to US or something.

Maybe for the PR... but then he should have sought congress approval. I don't know.
Because we can hardly manage Lybia? And that we have to be VERY careful about what we do in the region?
Our government have all played dirty tricks in north Africa, and aren't liked. There is people there thankful to European and American people, but none who trust our governments, and they are right.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:01:15 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 18, 2011, 07:00:34 am »

Because Syria is a far more volatile situation in the heart of the Arab world. Can you imagine how the entire Muslim world would flip the fuck out if American jets started bombing targets in Syria? We're just now starting to disengage from Iraq, and Obama doesn't have the kind of political capital to put us back in the Middle East in force. I doubt anyone does.

Saying you care about democratic struggles outside the US doesn't mean you should dive in without considering the political implications abroad and at home for doing so.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:02:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:49 am »

So why did Obama even bother with Libya?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 416