Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365202 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2205 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:34 pm »

Man, we're not agreeing on ANYTHING lately.  :P

Destabilizing the PRC is about the worst fucking thing on the planet right now. With the global economy more or less fucked, our best hope is that the countries who are still growing act like a tugboat and tug our asses back to some semblance of normality. Human rights frankly don't mean shit if 1/3 of the population is starving (like in the 60's) and another 1/3 is streaming into every other country in range. The refugee situation from Guangdong alone would swamp Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »

Man, we're not agreeing on ANYTHING lately.  :P
There is only one solution. Top of the RBC center, with bowie knives, at dawn. Only one of us leaves.

Or alternatively, we can flip for Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base, first person to use their force to sucessfuly purge South Carolina of all life and occupy the Triangle wins.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: June 15, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »

Aha...I had forgotten our mutual loathing of Carolina Inferior. All is forgiven.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 15, 2011, 11:46:43 pm »

With the global economy more or less fucked, our best hope is that the countries who are still growing act like a tugboat and tug our asses back to some semblance of normality. Human rights frankly don't mean shit if 1/3 of the population is starving

Am I the only person who finds the notion absurd that food ceases to exist if we flub up our imaginary number games?  If we weren't so enslaved to common usage of the term economy, which seems to me quite often unhinged from reality, I don't understand why we couldn't work around these problems more sensibly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

With the global economy more or less fucked, our best hope is that the countries who are still growing act like a tugboat and tug our asses back to some semblance of normality. Human rights frankly don't mean shit if 1/3 of the population is starving

Am I the only person who finds the notion absurd that food ceases to exist if we flub up our imaginary number games?  If we weren't so enslaved to common usage of the term economy, which seems to me quite often unhinged from reality, I don't understand why we couldn't work around these problems more sensibly.

Food doesn't cease to exist. Effective means of distribution do. A lot of people live in places where food is not grown anywhere nearby.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: June 15, 2011, 11:50:54 pm »

RedKing is indeed correct. We already have enough food to physicaly feed everyone on Earth for quite a while. It's just that either it isn't getting to them or they can't afford it. That's the cause of starvation these days.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »

Because it's controlled by entities with no motivation to care about the lives of others that do not benefit them, and we only accept these conditions because it's all obfuscated behind the language of economics...  If the economy collapses completely, to the point that the established order of it disappears, I would hope that this situation would actually get better as the centralized stranglehold on resources ceases to obstruct better distribution.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:07 am »

The one in Zengcheng is what I'd keep my eye on. There are roughly 210 million "floating people" (liudong renkou) -- internal illegal immigrants -- and I'm assuming this is what the article meant by "migrant workers". These are Chinese who have moved from the countryside or smaller cities into the major coastal cites looking for work. They're a great source of ultra-cheap labor with no legal rights, but like all migrant workers they typically get the shit end of the stick, even from their own countrymen. They're blamed for rising crime, they're accused of stealing jobs and depressing wages, and they typically kicked out of town when the local Party officials decide to make a show of doing something about it. Liudong renkou riots, if they grew widespread, could be a serious problem.

I remember on my visit to Beijing a few years back I noticed a few jobs I hadn't considered before:
There were people mopping the sidewalks.
There were people washing the trees along the sidewalks. With sponges, leaf by leaf.
There were rows and rows of people chiseling a chessboard pattern on a huge plaza, millimeter by millimeter. It looked like the most dreary job imaginable.

Apparently there were a few million people living in a sort of tent city outside Beijing who had come there seeking their fortune. A lucky few got the posh jobs described for almost 0 wages. Doubt it's gotten any better since. The illegal street vendors who routinely got picked up by roaming police buses probably had the better end of the stick. Don't know where the buses put them though.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 16, 2011, 06:12:16 am »

Nope, you're not alone. However, there's as of yet no better distribution system than capitalism. Every planned one has failed, so far. Sadly.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:05 am »

More importantly, the doomsday scenario described would be a collapse of the international economy, wherein businesses would fold for lack of credit, workers would go unpaid for lack of funds, and basically the whole global production, shipping, and distribution system grinds to halt due to the its reliance on having a solid banking foundation.  I think it's a wildly ridiculous scenario myself, especially the idea that there would be any significant degree of starvation in the developed world.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47:52 am »

We'd just eat the poor*. Hell, I do it from time to time to stay in practice.

*or rich, depending on your status, but I'd remind you I can purchase a gun so keep the fuck back.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 16, 2011, 08:17:28 am »

A well prepared Hassenfeffer is worth the risk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: June 16, 2011, 08:39:58 am »

It would be awesome is Libya stopped getting blown up.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2218 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:35 am »

We'd just eat the poor*. Hell, I do it from time to time to stay in practice.

*or rich, depending on your status, but I'd remind you I can purchase a gun so keep the fuck back.

An amazing symbiosis of user and avatar. Just out of curiosity, where would you keep your gun?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 16, 2011, 10:51:18 am »

Me too.  I can't imagine his reasoning for not following proper procedures.

Of course, I'm also annoyed that actions are being taken against him, while certain other leaders in recent history have done far less justified things on false pretenses with dire consequences, and have gotten away with it completely.

Authoriza­tion for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002,[1] Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002.

You can argue it wasn't justified, on false pretenses, and with dire consequences (and we can argue for a HELL of a long time and derail this thread for no gain to either party whatsoever [thus we probably shouldn't]), but he did get Congressional approval before the action. Obama has not and he's got all of three days to do his homework. If he blows it off, the House has grounds to impeach him. I'm not sure if they should or not, but if they certainly can. A two-thirds majority in the Senate is nearly impossible to evict him from office, but the impeachment would still stand.

Really, I can't believe he was so careless about this.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 416