Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365238 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2190 on: June 08, 2011, 07:18:01 am »

Nah, linking is fine. I just can't follow the link (and I check the URL of *everything* before I click on it).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 08, 2011, 08:12:17 am »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:53 pm »

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia unveils a massive bribe in order to quell opposition:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/world/middleeast/09saudi.html?_r=2&hp

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

In that case, this is my personal favourite.
...In Exchange for One Million Dollars

One miiilliiion dollars! *finger*

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia unveils a massive bribe in order to quell opposition:

Well, to be fair, the biggest gripe in these other countries wasn't necessarily how their government was structured or run, it was the paramilitary police and crackdowns, but even more than that, shitty economies and no jobs or spending cash.  Maybe it's a "bribe", but it's also more or less what people were demanding anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 11, 2011, 06:27:58 am »

Looks like my prediction of an impending massacre in Jisr al-Shughour were on target.

BBC: Syrian army moves on 'rebel town'

Apparently, based on this and some bits I was hearing on the radio on the way in this morning, the army rolled up to the village in the wee hours of the morning and tanks began opening fire on houses right before dawn to ensure maximum civilian casualties. The accompanying infantry are burning the village's crops and orchards. This is old-school "raze the city, salt the earth" kind of payback. Assad is also reportedly refusing phone calls from Secretary-General Ban-ki Moon.

It galls me that this exact sort of retributive actions by a government against their own population is what triggered NATO intervention in Libya. And yet any similar intervention in Syria is highly unlikely.  :(

EDIT: Meanwhile in Libya, tanks and artillery are pounding Misrata, and there are no NATO aircraft anywhere in the area. WTH, guys? NATO is starting to look like the League of Nations.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:04:08 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/beijing-battling-protest-fires-on-all-fronts/story-e6frg6so-1226075255343

News of major unrest in China.  There hasn't been a whole lot of media attention to these protests compared to those in the Middle East and Greece.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2196 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

China, undergoing increasingly violent uprisings and fearing that internal turmoil may put it behind the world, sells its US currency en mass, triggering a global currency collapse. The BRIC experiences a brief bubble, but with no functional global economy, is extremely unstable. 65% unemployment. Mass poverty in the western world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:23 pm »

China, undergoing increasingly violent uprisings and fearing that internal turmoil may put it behind the world, sells its US currency en mass, triggering a global currency collapse. The BRIC experiences a brief bubble, but with no functional global economy, is extremely unstable. 65% unemployment. Mass poverty in the western world.

I really don't think China is going to sell off all of its dollar denominated bonds.  China holds something like only 12% of US Treasuries.  If they sell off their bonds the yuan appreciates and their export economy completely collapses.

The dollar and dollar denominated debt tend to be a safe haven in times of economic turmoil.  China wouldn't unload all of it.

And Russia shouldn't even be in the BRIC.  They are a basket case.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »

I am slightly annoyed Obama isn't seeking congressional approval for his military action in Libya, clearly violating the War Powers Act.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 15, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »

Me too.  I can't imagine his reasoning for not following proper procedures.

Of course, I'm also annoyed that actions are being taken against him, while certain other leaders in recent history have done far less justified things on false pretenses with dire consequences, and have gotten away with it completely.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: June 15, 2011, 09:25:30 pm »

Well, you won't have to be slightly annoyed for long, the Speaker of the House wants Obama to either let the action go before Congress or stop. If he doesn't, they apparently are promising to put him under investigation. Like the kind that gets people impeached.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:58 pm »

I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing that presidents can run for more than one term.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/beijing-battling-protest-fires-on-all-fronts/story-e6frg6so-1226075255343

News of major unrest in China.  There hasn't been a whole lot of media attention to these protests compared to those in the Middle East and Greece.

Hmm...I'm cautiously skeptical. I have regular interaction with a variety of people in the PRC, and haven't heard a peep of this. Not saying that those events didn't happen, just that their importance in terms of snowballing into something larger is probably pretty low.

The two bombing events are, sadly, not unheard of. In the past it's been directed more at companies than government, but it's not the first time someone has taken out their frustrations on the local government (and often with some cause).

The one in Zengcheng is what I'd keep my eye on. There are roughly 210 million "floating people" (liudong renkou) -- internal illegal immigrants -- and I'm assuming this is what the article meant by "migrant workers". These are Chinese who have moved from the countryside or smaller cities into the major coastal cites looking for work. They're a great source of ultra-cheap labor with no legal rights, but like all migrant workers they typically get the shit end of the stick, even from their own countrymen. They're blamed for rising crime, they're accused of stealing jobs and depressing wages, and they typically kicked out of town when the local Party officials decide to make a show of doing something about it. Liudong renkou riots, if they grew widespread, could be a serious problem.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:02 pm »

Anything that destabilizes the PRC is aces in my book. It's not like things can get much worse than the PRC when it comes to human rights. I mean, it can, but we're talking DPRK level insane there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 15, 2011, 11:29:23 pm »

Hmm...I'm cautiously skeptical. I have regular interaction with a variety of people in the PRC, and haven't heard a peep of this. Not saying that those events didn't happen, just that their importance in terms of snowballing into something larger is probably pretty low.

The two bombing events are, sadly, not unheard of. In the past it's been directed more at companies than government, but it's not the first time someone has taken out their frustrations on the local government (and often with some cause).

The one in Zengcheng is what I'd keep my eye on. There are roughly 210 million "floating people" (liudong renkou) -- internal illegal immigrants -- and I'm assuming this is what the article meant by "migrant workers". These are Chinese who have moved from the countryside or smaller cities into the major coastal cites looking for work. They're a great source of ultra-cheap labor with no legal rights, but like all migrant workers they typically get the shit end of the stick, even from their own countrymen. They're blamed for rising crime, they're accused of stealing jobs and depressing wages, and they typically kicked out of town when the local Party officials decide to make a show of doing something about it. Liudong renkou riots, if they grew widespread, could be a serious problem.

Inflation is a huge problem in the PRC.  Given that several hundred million people over there have poverty or near poverty level wages, and spend the bulk of their income on food and fuel, it's highly destabilizing.  There have been trucker strikes because of the high cost of diesel, for example.  Their economy is also very dependent on construction projects and they have a massive real estate bubble ahead of them.  It's going to get really ugly over there.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 416