Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365256 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2145 on: May 20, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

El pais is not supposed to be left biased ; it's pretty much the reference in Spanish newspapers.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ed31

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 20, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

El pais is not supposed to be left biased ; it's pretty much the reference in Spanish newspapers.

So I assume you havent read "El Pais", or you support left yourself. (its no bad to admit it, but you cannot claim something to not be biased just because its biased toward your personal believe)

But, as facts are always better than words, you can see how a lot of people see it, like english wikipedia, or even better, read it on www.elpais.com (english version on www.elpais.com/english/)

Anyway, ok, lets take its a fascist-biased newspaper and everything it says its a lie. But it doesnt make a lie that movement "democracia real ya" is the demostrations caller, and that movement is founded by a left-wing party member, and as far as i know, nothing is less apolitical than a political party.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2147 on: May 20, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »

Protest bans are never a good sign. Next comes the violent quashing of protests, then we see protesters fighting back, then there are police and military desertions, then the former government, eventually, falling.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »

So I assume you havent read "El Pais", or you support left yourself. (its no bad to admit it, but you cannot claim something to not be biased just because its biased toward your personal believe)

But, as facts are always better than words, you can see how a lot of people see it, like english wikipedia, or even better, read it on www.elpais.com (english version on www.elpais.com/english/)

Anyway, ok, lets take its a fascist-biased newspaper and everything it says its a lie. But it doesnt make a lie that movement "democracia real ya" is the demostrations caller, and that movement is founded by a left-wing party member, and as far as i know, nothing is less apolitical than a political party.

Yeah, I'm center left myself, it's just that if a French or a Belgian newspaper cite a Spanish newspaper it's "El Pais". It's actually the only Spanish newspaper I know, and only because he's cited so much. BTW I watched the reference and it like to a conservative politician's citation. To take with a grain of salt, then. But ok it's a center left newspaper, good to know.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ed31

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:43 pm »

Phmcw, yes, its the top seller newspaper in Spain. But also the center-left is the most voted party until now, so we can say there's a majority of left-wing on spain. Anyway its nice to kindly discuss even disagreeing :)

PTTG?? - Its banned, but law says police cannot force-disband a protest unless protesters start the figth, or damage urban equipment. Also, its banned because there are elections on sunday, and by law its forbidden any political demostration the day before elections.

But after all, we are not Egypt, we are not Libia, even if i disagree with Zapatero (current 1st minister) we are on a democracy, better or worse, but a democracy. Heck, even been a conservative myself, i can agree with 50% they request. But i could agree better if they where truly apolitical, and they protest after elections, not a week before, or much time ago. When everything were bad waaaay before.
Actually, mostly what they claim is wrong since 1978 (but better than before, nonetheless).

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 21, 2011, 07:55:12 am »

Name a president who has considered the War Powers Act Valid.

Here is the list for the lazy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
!!&!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2152 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:59 am »

I'm pretty sure Ford would have asked.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:27 pm »

Name a president who has considered the War Powers Act Valid.

Here is the list for the lazy.

Well, bluntly?  Bush on both Iraq and Afganistan.  He asked for and got congressional approval for both, for good or ill.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 23, 2011, 01:34:26 pm »

I have to admit, he's right. Clinton got permission in Somalia, Bush I in Panama and First Gulf, and Reagan in Grenada. Don't think Ronnie got permission for the airstrikes into Libya back in the mid-80's, but that was a very limited engagement.

Afghanistan was a cakewalk to get permission for, coming only a month or so after 9/11. Iraq....well, Congress abrogated its authority on that one well before the war by voting to pre-emptively authorize "any action necessary" in the name of the War on Terror.

Sadly amusing that most of the same guys who lined up to cut off their balls then are now demanding them back when the C-in-C is a different guy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »

Slightly offtopic here, but if someone could find somewhere a bigger version of this picture:

I'm trying to make a t-shirt for myself but this one is far too small for me to extract his awesome face and use it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »

Unfortunately, that's the largest I can find as well. And it appears that the original EpicLibyanMan has met his fate in battle, according to the EpicLibyan Tumblr site and Feb17.info  :(

In his memory, more EpicLibyan goodness:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2157 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:45 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110525/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_yemen

So... Yemen is pretty much now in a state of civil war with artillery shelling residential neighborhoods at night and skirmishes between tribesmen and Yemeni soldiers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 25, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »

So how is Yemen different from Libya again?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 25, 2011, 05:27:40 pm »

Very sad to learn the demise of EpicLibyanMan
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 416