Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365100 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1845 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »

Looks like the rebels are being held for now.

It's sad to say, but I see this escalating to a much worse situation. Frankly, even though there is a no-fly zone, the rebels are simply going to hold half the country, as they have no real military experience compared to Qaddafi's elite soldiers. They're certainly not going to take the capital, unless they get major military support from another nation.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »

They don't even hold half the country anymore.

You know, I believe the media sold us short on their actual chances of success. Two weeks ago it was all about how the rebels were winning, half of the loyalist army had deserted, and how Quaddafi wouldn't last longer than two days because he was only holding 15% of Lybia. A week after that the rebels are barely holding their last city, and NATO generals openly express skepticism about them being able to win, even with the no-flight zone. The whole thing reminds me of the Iran revolts after Ahmaniyerad's electoral fraud.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 21, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »

Nobody sold anybody short, because nobody really knew what was going on.  It's fairly obvious at this point that the rebels massively over-extended themselves after their initial surge, and collapsed backwards when left unsupported.  They have chaotic and amateur leadership when they have real leadership at all - most of the military commanders who defected are sitting back in Benghazi just hoping they don't get lynched.  And now with foreign intervention of some nebulous form essentially guaranteed until the end, including Qaddafi's armor being decimated on the highway, plenty of the smarter guys on the rebel side are basically waiting for the battle to be won for them, however that might happen.

At this point, my money is on Qaddafi being killed or vanished by his own people, probably a military coup of some form, when the loyalist commanders figure out that nobody is getting out of this alive until the Big Man is dead.  That or he gets inadvertently blown away by an air-strike when he's out doing one of his whirlwind tours.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »

Well, Gaddafi is missing at the moment, so he may very well be dead already. Or hiding in a secret bunker somwhere.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:12 pm »

Here's my (rather more cynical) prediction of what will happen:

Quaddafi will crush the rebels despite the no-fly zone. After that's done, he will get bombed for some weeks, and have UN sanctions imposed on him. However, in one or two years he will buy off the goodwill of the western goverments (again) and be back to business as usual.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »

Quick! Someone ship me eighty pounds of neodymium magnets and a few thousand RPG-7V warheads!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »

Khadaffi probably fled to Zimbabwe or will do so in the next day or two.

You've got to remember that he was old anyway.  This would have happened the same way in a few years time, regardless.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »

Well, Gaddafi is missing at the moment, so he may very well be dead already. Or hiding in a secret bunker somwhere.

Like Saddam was.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 21, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »

Like Saddam was.
And we all remember how well that worked out for him.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 22, 2011, 02:19:32 am »

Here's a video of the rebel who claim to be in control of Misurata. If it's true (and it's more proof than what the officials gave) then things are going very badly for kadhafi.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:29 am »

IIRC, they rebels never lost Misurata, which was impressive in itself. I was concerned it was going to be the next Zawiya and get levelled.

Reports this morning have the rebels advancing on Adjabiya once more, while Tripoli is getting hammered by nightly airstrikes. No indications of any air-to-air combat yet between European forces (I guess we could call them UN forces, since they have a mandate) and LAAF forces.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 22, 2011, 06:48:22 am »

No indications of any air-to-air combat yet between European forces and LAAF forces.
I wouldn't be suprised if what's left of the LAAF is going to take a "Screw this, we're not suidical." attitude and defect to various nations.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:38 am »

Lost one bird already. A USAF F-15E crashed after "equipment malfunction". Both pilots ejected, sustained minor injuries. One pilot recovered, the other is in process of being recovered.

EDIT: Cue Republicans whining already about:

A. The cost of military operations.
B. This being an "undeclared war" that Congress has not approved.
C. Invoking the old "we're not the world's policeman" / "this is the Libyans' fight, not ours" rubrics.

The sheer, balls-out hypocrisy is such that I think I may actually have an aneurysm if I watch FOX News anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:51:49 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1858 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:19 am »

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 22, 2011, 09:17:20 am »

best daily show clip I've seen in a long time
Truely exellent, yet in the case of Lybia there is the whole "obviously insane thing"
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 416