Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364385 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1605 on: March 14, 2011, 08:38:57 am »

The UN is only as good as its member countries want it to be. It would require a serious remodeling of the UNSC for that body to be anything other than a superpower arm-wrestling table.

United Nations Space Command?

United Nations Security Council.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 14, 2011, 09:09:15 am »

but c'mon man...the French are ready to fight before we are.
Y'want freedom fries with your double-cheese-dictator?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 14, 2011, 09:17:34 am »

I have to say, Obama's distinct lack of notable leadership both here and in budgetary reform is likely to butcher him next election. And I can't say I'm unhappy about it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1608 on: March 14, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

I have to say, Obama's distinct lack of notable leadership both here and in budgetary reform is likely to butcher him next election. And I can't say I'm unhappy about it.

I am. Of course, I would also like to see him NOT win the democratic primary and have someone else up for a shot as the democratic candidate.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:00 am »

I have to say, Obama's distinct lack of notable leadership both here and in budgetary reform is likely to butcher him next election.
Since when has that ever bothered the US voter? Or mattered at all? Be glad you finally have a puppet who manages to not make the whole country look like an ass every other day.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1610 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:56 am »

I think this election will be a strong third-party one. Both conservatives and liberals have good reasons to distrust the two parties. I suppose that if they make the tactical mistake of attacking each other in the upcoming election, and we see a strong conservative third party to split the republican vote.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 14, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »

Smooth, very smooth, Saudi Arabia sent troops to crush the protest in Bahreïn. But Saudi Arabia is dominated by the Sunny, Barheïn  too, but the majority of Barheïn inhabitants are Shiites. Now they have a full ethnical conflict on their hands. And a wild guess : the Shiites of Saudi Arabia won't take that well.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 14, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »

I am. Of course, I would also like to see him NOT win the democratic primary and have someone else up for a shot as the democratic candidate.
This is what I'd like to see as well. This or a viable third party start making some moves - while the Tea Party is currently full of crazies, I think it would be nice if they did fully break off from the Republicans. With a couple years to mellow outside of classic Republican sponsors I think they have potential of becoming a decent and more reasonable force. But whatever.

Now they have a full ethnical conflict on their hands. And a wild guess : the Shiites of Saudi Arabia won't take that well.
So things might yet get worse before they get better... not that's its easy to see exactly what "better" and "worse" are in this situation.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 14, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »

Smooth, very smooth, Saudi Arabia sent troops to crush the protest in Bahreïn. But Saudi Arabia is dominated by the Sunny, Barheïn  too, but the majority of Barheïn inhabitants are Shiites. Now they have a full ethnical conflict on their hands. And a wild guess : the Shiites of Saudi Arabia won't take that well.

This could lead to something of a proxy (if not real) war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.  Something I brought up a few dozen pages ago and was laughed at for stating.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 14, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

There's not exactly much room for a war on Bahrain. Any armed conflict is going to be either very low-intensity or very short.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 14, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

Or spill over into neighboring Saudi Arabia and Iran.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 15, 2011, 06:25:49 am »

This could lead to something of a proxy (if not real) war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.  Something I brought up a few dozen pages ago and was laughed at for stating.

Proxy war, possibly. Real war, highly unlikely. I *do* think the fecal matter is going to impact the rotary air circulator this week in Bahrain. Was hearing some news reports this morning from Bahrain, and it sounds like the protesters are mentally preparing themselves for a confrontation with the armed security forces. They've already started constructing barricades and roadblocks, but it sounds like they're not arming themselves. I don't trust the Saudi and UAE forces to exercise judicious restraint if confronted, which could lead to a bloodbath. Which really could trigger a popular uprising. Now, if there's a popular uprising by the Shi'ites in Bahrain, then I do think the Iranians would start supplying them weapons. Direct intervention would still be highly unlikely, though.

And even then, Iranian material support for an uprising in Bahrain would grossly complicate things in Iraq, and you'd have the Saudis and Bahrainis asking us to intervene to stop them, which might take the form of the Sixth Fleet interdicting shipping traffic in the Persian Gulf to search for weapons....bleaugh. It's times like this I'm kind of glad that State Department job never panned out. Those poor bastards must be hating life right now trying to plan for all the contingencies.

EDIT:

Updates:

Libya -- Rebels lose Zuwara to Qaddafi. This, and the fall of az-Zawiyah in the last few days, means that resistance in western Libya is essentially over. In the east, the front line continues to hover around the city of Brega.

Bahrain -- "State of emergency" declared. Tehran has made some unhappy noises about Saudi troops being used in Bahrain. Interesting to note that the arrival of Saudi and UAE troops comes just a day after US Secretary of Defense paid a visit to Bahrain. Would not be surprised if the Bahrainis got the US to sign off beforehand on using regional GCC forces, as the US has publicly made no comment about it, other than the typical "we want everybody to cooperate and talk and play nice" rhetoric. It's a sad day when Iran is on the side of pro-democracy protestors, and we're not, even if the reasons for both have nothing to do with "freedom and liberty".

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:32:49 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:53 am »

Hmm, I am pissed about Zawiyah.  It looks like they flattened the city to take it.

It also looks like this is going to turn into a long-term civil war now, which is bad for, well, everyone.

Why don't we have a CIA assassin just... take care of things?

I mean really.  The CIA meddles all the time, except when it actually matters.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:06 am »

Like that would help with anything.

Besides, it's not like CIA assasins have an astounding record. Likely as not it would fail AND make things worse
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 15, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »

I doubt that the CIA actually has very many assassins. They just want people to think that they have a million double agents hidden all across the world, ready to kill at a moments notice, so that people will fear them. Same goes for the FBI and information monitoring.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 416