Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364457 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2011, 05:28:13 pm »

He's dissolved his cabinet, he himself is staying as president of course. Good old despot trick that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »

Yeah... His head's going to be on the end of a pike by tomorrow.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »

...Good lord, this is gonna blow up hard
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »

I got this sudden urge to play a round of Tropico.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »

Yup, the president control everything, and all the Egyptian know it...
Nobody will be fooled by his promise to make a new government.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »

Speech in a nutshell:

I've tried my darndest to make things better for everyone and this is how you repay me. Presidenting is a hard and thankless job, you should be glad I've sacrificed myself for this plight the last 3 decades so no one else had to. Obviously mistakes have been made by everyone else but me though, so I've fired all my yes men and will hire new and better ones tomorrow. Good night.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »

Support the poor people (how the fuck is that related to this)

It has a lot to do with this.

It's a fundamental tenet of Islam to provide for the needs of the poor. They take that stricture, on average, more seriously than the Christians do. For a mostly Islamic nation to fail to provide for the needs of the poor is a great way to piss off moderate and hardline Muslims, not to mention poor people.

And oh look, it's the Muslim Brotherhood, leading the charge.

Even if there were no religious/secular antagonism fueling this thing, living conditions in Egypt are apparently shit. The cost of living is out of whack, services are terrible.....

What scares me is that, at the end of the day, if Mubarak falls, his regime is going to be held up as an example of what happens when Muslim nations collaborate with the West. Even if that's total bullshit in reality, that's how it will be played across the Muslim world. Sign on with the West, and your people will live in poverty.

PS- Less dickwaving between posters please, I'd rather read this thread for updates from people concerned with the actual topic (Aqizzar), not people hashing out their political beliefs for the 14,000,000th time. Get a room.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:48:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »

He's calling for the government to step down!?
Quote from: President Mubarak
Step down?! In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »

He's calling for the government to step down!?
Quote from: President Mubarak
Step down?! In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.

I now have diet coke all over my keyboard.

Damn you!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:14 pm »

Support the poor people (how the fuck is that related to this)

It has a lot to do with this.

It's a fundamental tenet of Islam to provide for the needs of the poor. They take that stricture, on average, more seriously than the Christians do. For a mostly Islamic nation to fail to provide for the needs of the poor is a great way to piss off moderate and hardline Muslims, not to mention poor people.

And oh look, it's the Muslim Brotherhood, leading the charge.

Even if there were no religious/secular antagonism fueling this thing, living conditions in Egypt are apparently shit. The cost of living is out of whack, services are terrible.....

What scares me is that, at the end of the day, if Mubarak falls, his regime is going to be held up as an example of what happens when Muslim nations collaborate with the West. Even if that's total bullshit in reality, that's how it will be played across the Muslim world. Sign on with the West, and your people will live in poverty.

PS- Less dickwaving between poster please, I'd rather read this thread for updates, not people hashing out their political beliefs for the 14,000,000th time. Get a room.

Not sure about that : Turkey collaborate with us pretty closely, and it's working rather well.
The problem is that the dictators that work with us will tend to make even less concessions (Saudi Arabia, Algeria...).
Not that we ask them a lot of concessions for democracy (but maybe we can't ask for more? Or can we but our government don't care. Or...).
Still, you can hardly blame the Egyptian for wanting their freedom.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »

I'm honestly surprised he's managing to hang on to power at all. His headquarters is toast, a tiny proportion of his capital is actually in his direct control, and the army isn't fighting the hordes. Why isn't he gone yet?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

Needs to pad cayman islands bank account first.

Interesting tidbit: The minister of defense, who he technically just fired, is also chief of the armed forces. The same armed forces that are sort of pivotal right now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »

Not sure about that : Turkey collaborate with us pretty closely, and it's working rather well.

For every Turkey, there's a Pakistan, an Iraq and an Afghanistan. :(

Still, you can hardly blame the Egyptian for wanting their freedom.

I don't at all. It's just here in America, the result and the message everyone takes home is often hijacked by people with an agenda.

Rather like a thread at times.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2011, 06:16:35 pm »

Any news of foreign agents working inside of Egypt right now?  The government's on its last legs and I doubt a lot of middle eastern countries want to see another country that even vaguely resembles a democracy there.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

Nothing so far, But a lot of nations are asking that both sides refrain from violence
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 416