Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364367 times)

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 04:45:24 pm »

Well, considering that rising up against a ruthless dictator creates situations such as Afghanistan and Cuba in many cases, I'm torn between yes and no here.

This leads to a situation where as time approaches infinity, the proportion of illegitimate, authoritarian governments approaches 100%. More practically, never engaging in any action against such governments encourages them to become instated and to continue existing.

I'm not saying violent overthrow is the only possible solution, but we do need solutions.
How about solutions that don't involve throwing the country into disarray and creating a power vacuum?
Can you suggest one, given that "elections" under Mubarak are laughably rigged?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Considering that the Democrat movement seems pretty strong within the military, a clean military coup would've been preferable. At least that wouldn't have left the door open for religious extremists and all sorts of other mean things.

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

Expecting the military to enforce a real democracy? One in which the people could, for example, vote in politicians potentially against the military's interests?

Uhhh...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

Considering that the Democrat movement seems pretty strong within the military, a clean military coup would've been preferable. At least that wouldn't have left the door open for religious extremists and all sorts of other mean things.
Depends, if the muslim brotherhood was part of the coo then they could have taken control. And military coos end up with a dictator in power anyway. It might have been better for US interests, but not for the Egyptians and probably the region in general.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »

good lord, people. Why don't we all take a nice, deep breath and just calm the heck down.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »

Ok, ok I agree,I'm sorry my statement was discriminating against all American because I didn't said "an appealing portion".

Now if you want t say that Islam isn't discriminated against and well, slandered by an appealing portion of American (unaware of the support they may give or receive by both the moderate and hardcore Muslims), I'm afraid I disagree.
If you think I imply that Europe do much better, you're wrong too. (From what I saw, we do a bit better)except when a French minister make racist statement on Arabs and goes away with it

Personally? I wasn't offended out of "pride", I was offended because you made sweeping generalizations about an entire nation of people to which I belong.

I wasn't talking about that.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52:39 pm »

Quite frankly, it's obvious that Mubarak's goverment is burned out, and isn't a force for stability, as these riots show. So I don't think Pseudonymous' argument applies to it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »

Quite frankly, it's obvious that Mubarak's goverment is burned out, and isn't a force for stability, as these riots show. So I don't think Pseudonymous' argument applies to it.
It was a force for stability, although its pretty much overthrown now (unless the military acts strongly enough and kills enough civilians).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »

bloody hell, the museum in Cairo went up in flames.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »

Expecting the military to enforce a real democracy? One in which the people could, for example, vote in politicians potentially against the military's interests?

Uhhh...
It worked for The Central African Republic and Mauritania. Turkey has had multiple military coups, none of which lead to a government more oppressive then the previous, though I don't know if I should use Turkey as an example here.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

Now if you want t say that Islam isn't discriminated against and well, slandered by an appealing portion of American (unaware of the support they may give or receive by both the moderate and hardcore Muslims), I'm afraid I disagree.

I'm not sure what you mean by "appealing portion", but yes, anti-Muslim ignorance/hatred is a significant problem in the US. I don't think anyone argued otherwise. You slipped up when you 1) Insinuated that all Americans are like that, and 2) Said that it's worse in the US than in Europe. I don't think any comparison like that is apt or appropriate.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

It was a force for stability, although its pretty much overthrown now (unless the military acts strongly enough and kills enough civilians).

It was a force for stability, yes, until it stopped being one.

(derp)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »

Aww fuckshit, where are you getting this?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »

Aww fuckshit, where are you getting this?
Al Jazeera Livestream
(probably the wrong word for it)

About 7 minutes ago

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »

As far as I've understood, it's the NDP(ruling party) headquarters next door that's on fire, not the museum itself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 416