Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364392 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4680 on: November 07, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »

The fact that they're nuclear might be quite relevant to the discussion.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: November 07, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »

Not surprising. The Central African Republic is pretty notably terrible, though they are not often discussed and have a very boring name.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: November 07, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »

Aren't they just that other Congo?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: November 07, 2013, 04:52:51 pm »

Nope. The other Congo is a rather nice place actually.

They do share a border though. Other Congo is called the republic of Congo, not to be confused with the Democratic Republic of Congo.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:54:48 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: November 07, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »

Nope. The other Congo is a rather nice place actually.

They do share a border though. Other Congo is called the republic of Congo, not to be confused with the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Wow. You're right. I have never noticed CAR on a man map before o.O
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:45:56 am by Dutchling »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:34 pm »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: November 09, 2013, 02:48:38 am »

An agreement would be good news to me. It would be disappointing to see a failure after such a hopeful development of an improved relationship between Iran and other countries in the region, as well as my own more distant country of habitation. I hope it isn't torpedoed somehow by Israel's Netanyahu who at times seems to make a living doing such things. Considering the election in Iran, and the Iranians' new Presidential attempt to improve relations, which while still in what has been called the first step, what's happening is exactly what Israel and it's allies have hoped would happen through sanctions. I think if Netanyahu were to poo on the process it's unfair to the Israelis who don't benefit from having enemies in the region the most of all.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:05:02 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:26 am »

Saudi Arabia is apparently buying Pakistani nuclear weapons
Not surprising, since the Iranians are building them.
Never confirmed, actually.

An agreement would be good news to me. It would be disappointing to see a failure after such a hopeful development of an improved relationship between Iran and other countries in the region, as well as my own more distant country of habitation. I hope it isn't torpedoed somehow by Israel's Netanyahu who at times seems to make a living doing such things. Considering the election in Iran, and the Iranians' new Presidential attempt to improve relations, which while still in what has been called the first step, what's happening is exactly what Israel and it's allies have hoped would happen through sanctions. I think if Netanyahu were to poo on the process it's unfair to the Israelis who don't benefit from having enemies in the region the most of all.
Point is, Netananyahu is disappointed because what is negotiated isn't a complete shutdown of Iran's nuclear program. What is on the table is a stop to the expansion of the Nuclear refining capacity, maybe even a partial shutdown of some high enrichment installations (which, for the most part, are currently offline), in exchange for sanction relief. Additionally, increased controls on nuclear installations .

Basically, it's an agreement that prevents Iran from building Nuclear weapons right now, but it does not in anyway hamper their capacity to build them in the future if they decide they want too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4690 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »

I snipped this thread at a point, sending out a few warnings.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:18 am »

So what does everyone think about that BadBIOS virus? I found no NYT article to link, but you'll probably have heard of it already...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:36 am »

Doesn't really matter. The High frequency speaker-microphone system is only used to communicate between infected computers, hampering recovery efforts. Non-infected computers aren't programmed to detect those signals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:56 am »

Well, it can't spread through the microphone, so it shouldn't  be a containment issue. I mean, it can transmit all it likes, a uninfected computer will just ignore it.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:45 am »

As far as I understand it the only way this type of virus is different from any other virus is that it poses a slightly higher danger to paranoiacs (including fully justified government ones) that use air gap. If you got infected through a flash drive on your air-gapped computer - a targeted attack like STUXNET would be able to transfer information back across air gap on the next flash drive you would connect anyway.

According to comments on Bruce Schneier blog some features of this particular virus are also quite possible to be based on mistakes in analyses or a plain hoax.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 416