Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364513 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4380 on: August 28, 2013, 01:14:56 pm »

Yeah, but it's from a MP chairing the foreign affair commitee. So it's like if John McCain was talking about bombing Syria, which he has done a lot: no one really give a damn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: August 28, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »

An emergency session of UN Security Council was held a few hours ago. There were unconfirmed reports circulating in the Russian media claiming that Russian and Chinese ambassadors left the conference hall in protest. Russian diplomats deny it.

Israel is partially mobilizing its reservists, the Turkish and Iraqi armies are on full alert, the British government have apparently stated that it will attack Syria even if Russia and China block the UNSC resolution.
Shit is about to hit the fan.

To be fair, bombing Serbia worked out fairly well.
Some Chinese diplomats might disagree. Oh, wait - they are dead so they won't.
The technical personnel of Radio Television of Serbia who worked in the RTS headquarters in Belgrade when it was bombed by US aircraft on the 23rd of April 1999 may also disagree.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:03:10 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: August 28, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »

Wait, what? Shit, this is escalating fast.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: August 28, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »

No goddammit! Just saw this...

http://europenews.dk/en/node/71025

But it seems people here have beaten me to the news. I agree that the killing needs to stop, especially of civilians, but Western militaries bombing the shit out of the place won't exactly slow down the destruction in Syria. There is no way for this to end well for anyone.

A senior U.S. official said strikes could last several days and would involve other armed forces

*grumble grumble*
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: August 28, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »

RT is currently busy comparing the prelude to the possible attack on Syria by the USA with the prelude to the American invasion of Iraq. 
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: August 28, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

Tel Aviv is incredibly safe. The entirety of north Israel has been under lots of drills since the uprising began. I worry in the case of a pre-emptive strike on Israel by a desperate Syria to get the US to stay away from their chemical weapons. It would literally take one or two moves of their stockpiles and US intelligence would not know where they were anymore, if they even know where a majority of them are now. There's very sporadic information and the only confirmed stockpile is in Damascus proper. So even if we annihilate that one completely we get to see the effects take hold on the city.

I also worry because I do not doubt that if any chemical weapon use becomes prolific the military will be gassing the living hell out of the Kurdish region. I do not want to see another massacre of their people.

Assad knows better than to mess with israel. we are very very intolerant when it comes to gasses. and trains. and both of them mixed.

jokes aside, it will be the end of assad if he even fire one chemical warhead into an open field in israel. even saddam hussein who was a complete fool knew better than that.

Being A Dictator for Dummies

Brought to you by various (mostly dead) dictators, with a featured foreword by Zombie Mao, afterward by Zombie Suddam Hussein, and narrative prologue by Castro, with scribbled-in notes from Sean Penn!

Cover Art designed by Kim Il Sung, because he does that too.

Receive free WW3 novel written by various world governments with purchase.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:28 pm »

An emergency session of UN Security Council was held a few hours ago. There were unconfirmed reports circulating in the Russian media claiming that Russian and Chinese ambassadors left the conference hall in protest. Russian diplomats deny it.

Israel is partially mobilizing its reservists, the Turkish and Iraqi armies are on full alert, the British government have apparently stated that it will attack Syria even if Russia and China block the UNSC resolution.

I am/was in a position in the army that due to its nature, anytime war is about to start, i immediately get drafted. even if its a small operation with a medium chance of escalation - i am one of the firsts of the reserves they call. its not some romantic high secret position, well, its pretty secretive, but not like how you'd imagine secret squads are. its a small team with a very specific role that is highly not interesting, yet, still need to be kept somewhat quiet about its exact nature. anyway, point is, since i am here talking with you and haven't got drafted yet, i am pretty sure the israeli army is certain this wont escalate into a regional war.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: August 28, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »

I am/was in a position in the army that due to its nature, anytime war is about to start, i immediately get drafted. even if its a small operation with a medium chance of escalation - i am one of the firsts of the reserves they call. its not some romantic high secret position, well, its pretty secretive, but not like how you'd imagine secret squads are. its a small team with a very specific role that is highly not interesting, yet, still need to be kept somewhat quiet about its exact nature. anyway, point is, since i am here talking with you and haven't got drafted yet, i am pretty sure the israeli army is certain this wont escalate into a regional war.
You live in Israel, am I right?
and that is terrible
Sigtext

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:30 pm »

It's either that or Mossad sleeper agent.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: August 28, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »

Well, maybe the US will say in for a penny in for depleted uranium, but I'm not expecting to escape Ft. Hood anytime soon enough.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »

To be fair, bombing Serbia worked out fairly well.
Some Chinese diplomats might disagree. Oh, wait - they are dead so they won't.
The technical personnel of Radio Television of Serbia who worked in the RTS headquarters in Belgrade when it was bombed by US aircraft on the 23rd of April 1999 may also disagree.
I recall a joke I heard about US accuracy, they simply couldn't find a good map of downtown Belgrade. The Serbs also were the first and only to shoot down a US Nighthawk Stealth plane (and presumably invite every foreign country ever to see it), so it wasn't a total wipe.

SO where are we now? Has the US bombed any place that wasn't already bombed by yesterday? No? Keeping us on the edge of our seats Mr. President. I keep looking online with the expectation of "Obama Authorizes Syria strikes". I guess there's so much to do before then. Get as much approval from domestic and international authorities as possible, and guess how far to go. And everyone is waiting.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: August 29, 2013, 03:09:28 am »

To be honest, we didn't say the Serbian strikes were perfect, but they achieved their aim: get the Serbian out of Kosovo and now the region is mostly stable and stuff. We're not going to solve Syria's problems in the same way, because even if we bomb Assad out, how are we going to prevent a revenge bloodbath against everyone who ain't Sunni? Are we going to bomb the militia back in place afterward?

Anyway, couple good read:
-A study about degrading Syrian air power through missile strike that has been widely cited, including in Congress. Probably a fairly good guide of what the eventual US attack will look like.
-Another Study I found on Lawfare about the various options for US interventions. Among other things, it explains why degrading Syrian air power through missile strike, while a relatively cheap and safe option, won't do much good to help the rebels.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: August 29, 2013, 02:38:00 pm »

Russian television's news reports from Damascus state that the Syrian government is preparing bomb shelters for civilians.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: August 29, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »

Okay... bomb shelters... and?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:42 pm »

I still think we'll only see missile strikes on airport. Those shelters are just for show.

Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 416