Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364867 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4290 on: August 15, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »

1. We live in a world where much of the 2nd world now have a camera, recorder and some sort of twitter account.  It is much harder to ignore what is happening in Egypt when 'non-sanctioned' media keeps on coming out of it. 

2. Big Brother has to make a show of supporting democracy because that is their morale high ground for doing half the shit they do.  While also trying to keep their beneficial arrangements intact.  There is no silver bullet that would denounce Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood's standing in the democratic process either.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 17, 2013, 04:47:46 pm »

Big Brother has to make a show of supporting democracy because that is their morale high ground for doing half the shit they do.  While also trying to keep their beneficial arrangements intact.  There is no silver bullet that would denounce Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood's standing in the democratic process either.
The problem is in the current age of Democracies, there is really only "God" and "The People" as legitimate sources of political power (Or, in the case of North Korea, both, somehow).

The military called for support, and got it from the actual populace of Egypt, and now that Islamist prison camps [setup as bases to induce fear and kill people who disagree] have been dispersed the West is sympathetic to Islamists? What the hell topsy turvy world do we even live in anymore?
We live in a world of Greys, never black and white. The best situation was the Muslim brotherhood leaving power peaceably and a popular, secular government taking over democratically. That isn't happening, so people are deciding which section of that sentence to strike out. Some strike out "peaceful" and "democratic", other take out "Muslim Brotherhood leaving power" and "secular".

Anyway, there is talk in the Egyptian Government of banning the Muslim Brotherhood, which guarantees a lack of peaceable outcomes.Source.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 18, 2013, 03:50:23 am »

The military called for support, and got it from the actual populace of Egypt, and now that Islamist prison camps [setup as bases to induce fear and kill people who disagree] have been dispersed the West is sympathetic to Islamists? What the hell topsy turvy world do we even live in anymore?
An underdog always makes a good story.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 18, 2013, 07:14:04 am »

More over, just because they did things wrong doesn't mean it's okay to do the same to them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 18, 2013, 07:17:37 am »

In the Netherlands at least, the news completely ignores any wrongs the Islamists might do and only focus on the military. Seems a little strange to me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 18, 2013, 07:24:16 am »

Well, the Islamists were ousted from power. People were focusing on them when they were in power. Now, the problem is that Islamists represents maybe 20-30% of the population. You can shut them out of the political process.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 18, 2013, 07:27:19 am »

I'm not talking about the political process. I'm talking about the violence.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 18, 2013, 09:29:23 am »

As far as I heard, the news reports about the evil the islamists do, but not without criticizing the government at every opportunity.

((Ie, Islamists at Coptic Christians, because government didn't intervene, ...))

Edit: EU is considering to suspend all aid to Egypt for the time being.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:36:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:57 am »

More chemical weapon use in Syria. Has the red line been crossed yet?
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:29 am »

More chemical weapon use in Syria. Has the red line been crossed yet?
Probably.

However, the budget hasn't. Nobody's going to move if they can't get a profit out of it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:28 am »

There's the usual stuff from the folks with short memories who support Assad - you know, it's a hoax, it was carried out by the rebels etc. The thing is, my understanding is that there's footage of babies and children suffering from the effects of a nerve agent. How can they fake that? Whether or not it was carried out by the rebels (because it happened at a very convenient time) remains to be seen.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:46 pm »

heh.

so what's going on with libya who knows that and can share

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4304 on: August 22, 2013, 02:06:12 am »

They'll probably shoot Mubarak down outside of the court. Maybe pinning the blame on someone else to get the heat off the military and on the brotherhood.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 416