Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364555 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4095 on: June 11, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »

Bump. I'd appreciate information on how much Bradley Manning affected the Arab Spring, as well.

He started it. No really. It was the leak he made revealing the corruption and graft of Tunisian government officials that kicked off the whole shebang.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: June 11, 2013, 08:46:45 pm »

Bump. I'd appreciate information on how much Bradley Manning affected the Arab Spring, as well.

He started it. No really. It was the leak he made revealing the corruption and graft of Tunisian government officials that kicked off the whole shebang.

Not completely, but it probably wouldn't have happened without him.  The leaks elevated pre-existing tensions, and then the right spark set them off.  That spark is most directly attributed to that street merchant who immolated himself in Tunisia, but similar things had happened with regularity for a long time.  Something changed that made the atmosphere more explosive, or else that would have just been the sad passing of another victim.

It's kind of like the ongoing drama with the NSA leaks.  The tension about surveillance has been there in our cultural consciousness for a long time.  The suspicion that surveillance operated on that level has been around for a long time.  Yet you rarely saw people talking about it like they're talking about it right now.  That in-our-faces mainstream confirmation of what's been on everyone's minds for the past decade didn't really change anything, but it's certainly raised the pre-existing tension level.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:49:36 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:36 am »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »

This is going to be a huge battle. I predict that this will either be the FSA's or the Syrian Army's Stalingrad, depending on who wins.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:49 pm »

This is going to be a huge battle. I predict that this will either be the FSA's or the Syrian Army's Stalingrad, depending on who wins.
Well, it could be both (like, you know, the actual Stalingrad).

They could both take epic losses, with neither side gaining much of an advantage for many months, till a complete encirclement dooms one side or the other to complete destruction.

I doubt it will come to this though. For one the city isn't even in rebel hands totally to begin with. A Steam roll is quite possible. Or, to take the Great Patriotic War Analogy further, a Leningrad.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:54 pm »

If the rebels have any sense they will melt away and begin guerilla operations. You cant compete with a government at application of violence en masse.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »

The thing is though - the FSA have the support of the sunni jihadists of the world, along with most Sunni Arab states and, behind closed doors, USA, UK, Turkey and the EU. The Syrian government is relying on Hezbollah, Russia, Iran. They are quite evenly matched, so a guerilla war would be very brutal and I predict it would spread to Lebanon very quickly.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »

THere's also the rebels having some advantages due to their being a popular rebellion with the support of the people, and being rather hard to destroy completely, as well as having taken control of large sections of the country, where the government gets an advantage from it's established power, entrenchment, and superior firepower.

The Rebels are harder to wound in a permanent manner, can wait and bide time, but they are taking more hits, and hits that do hit them hit them hard. The Government is powerful, can take much more damage/injuries/assasinations/losses and come back, and hits harder, but also has a exploitable softer under-belly, with a "spine" of strength that can if struck right cripple them for extended periods of time, and suffers the distinction of losing if it ever gets to a one-on-one battle, n

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: June 12, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »

Except Iran, Hezbollah and Russia are far more serious about their help than the other side. Russia is actually selling advanced weapon systems, like those S-300 that will make a no-fly zone to costly for the West, whereas the rebs are only getting Kalashnikovs and radios.

Furthermore, Hezbollah and Iran are actually on the ground. I've read report of Iranian trainers and even regular armored units helping Assad, and apparently 2000 Hezbollah fighters joined in the recent taking of Qusayr. It's 1936 all over again, the Western democracies are letting a legitimate resistance movement die because they're too scared of an extreme ideology to match the bad guy's investment in the local fascist.

We need to either accept the rebels will loose and pull the plug so this war end, or step up very significantly our involvement. Right now, we're doing just enough to drag the suffering for as long as possible.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »

Yes, the problem is the rebels CAN bide their tiem and hide, but they've already extended too far to do so.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: June 12, 2013, 02:22:56 pm »

Restored edit: Nevermind, misread it.
Any articles/sources you have available would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:38:32 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

No one wants a hellhole on Europe's doorstep, and on Greece's to boot. Libya was uncomfortably close and we actually did something about that.
Dragging things along by propping up a losing cause ain't gonna help in that matter. But I guess Sheb said that already. 
I don't see the political willpower for the world's cop to go in...   You need control of the anti-air for 'your side' before the no fly zone is going to happen.  The rebels cannot make that happen.  And yea... Either go all in or forget it. 

(Also, Syria is not at Greece's boot.  It is Turkey that is the 'boot'... a much bigger one at that.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: June 12, 2013, 02:37:35 pm »

Like i edited earlier, i misread it and forgot where i was posting.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: June 12, 2013, 02:43:29 pm »

The problem with intervening in Syria remains: There is no unified opposition. We don't know who wants to do what if Assad is gone.

Libya was relatively easy, this would require troops to go in at some point, which no one is willing and/or capable of doing.

Exporting democracy has not worked so far and supporting rebels might lead to even more instability. (We don't know what will happen in Libya either yet.)

Turkey intervening under a UN or NATO mission might have worked perhaps, but that is out of the question at the moment...

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »

And some people still remember how well helping rebel fighters in Afghanistan in the 80-s turned out.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 416