Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364443 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4065 on: June 02, 2013, 05:01:46 pm »

And the Hungarian government have basically taken over major cultural institutions (which are otherwise leftist domains) and is enforcing a strict nationalistic repetoire. Many big names have apparently quit and there's been international musicians and theatre directors that have boycotted Hungary for that reason.

The real worry definitely isn't anti-semitism, though, even if I don't doubt they would hate on Jews and Arabs both given the chance. No, what worries me is what they might do to Romani population.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:44 pm »

Let's keep the discussion about revolution in Turkey here guys.

BTW, don't just focus on İstanbul. This is a country-wide revolution. Taksim is mostly empty right now, police is engaging protestors in other regions of Turkey. The emptiness of Istanbul doesn't mean the revolution is dying down, it's just spreading to the whole country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: June 03, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »

There is basically no way the current kurdish situation isn't going to end in a prolonged armed conflict is there?

Well, more prolonged, armed, and conflicted than the current prolonged armed conflict I mean.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50:43 pm »

It's possible. Iraqi Kurdistan could likely break off peacefully. There's be resentment, but it's possible. Syrian Kurdistan is de-facto independent now anyway, they're just not recognized or seeking recognition. As long as they have the force to keep the other Syrian forces out it could be peaceful enough because nobody has the force to reclaim it. Turkish Kurdistan is definitely problematic. Turkey is too strong to break off of, recent events aside, so it has to be diplomatic. A more liberal Turkish administration and detente with the PKK could lead to autonomy, but it would be difficult. Iranian Kurdistan, as small as it is, is almost certainly going to break for it if (when) there's a revolution in Iran.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »

Iran can be divided quite neatly into many independent states. We can't forget the Arabs of Arabistan or the Azeris of South Azerbaijan.

Kurdestan could become a federal state composed of provinces, based roughly around things like "Iranian Kurdistan", "Turkish Kurdistan", "Iraqi Kurdistan", "Syrian Kurdistan" , though I think the Kurds call them stuff like "Southern Kurdistan" etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: June 04, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »

And so?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »

And so?

It is likely to spark unrest following the beheading of Mr. Rigby and also when you consider the fact that they have gotten pretty light sentences. I hope the guy that abused the kid is put on the sex offender's register - he is a sex offender, after all. He was only fined 1000 pounds. If he'd actually forced the child to touch him, sentencing would have him in police custody for roughly a year. You could get up to 2 years, you could get as low as 26 weeks.

Quote from: BBC
Soldier X, a former private who left the army after his tour of duty in Helmand, admitted pulling an Afghan boy's hand towards his crotch while serving in Afghanistan in December 2011.

The court was shown video footage of the incident, which took place near a checkpoint, showing the former serviceman with a child surrounded by other soldiers and laughing as he repeated "touch my special place" several times.

He pleaded guilty to conduct to the prejudice of good order and service discipline and was fined £1,000. The judge advocate said there had been no sexual motive behind the behaviour.

That wasn't the first time he'd messed with Afghan kids.

The soldier also admitted insulting another Afghan child between 16 October 2011 and 6 January 2012.

A second piece of video footage shown in court, which the former soldier filmed himself, showed him being approached by an Afghan boy, smiling and offering to shake his hand.

Soldier X was heard swearing at the the boy before the child turned back in surprise.

The judge advocate said the soldier's behaviour had "clearly caused offence" and had been "unacceptable".

As for the guy who was charged for the "racial offence", it can be seen here:

Soldier Y - a serving lance-corporal - admitted he was involved in having an Afghan man photographed with a racially-offensive sign, which read "Silly Paki", between 16 October 2011 and 6 January 2012.

Obviously, this isn't exactly Abu Ghraib, but I think this sort of shitty behaviour is indicative of the kinds of guys we've got out there more than anything else. Guys like that can step on a land mine on their first day and get called a hero by the British press, while doctors, nurses and care workers can work tirelessly all their life and nobody bats an eyelid.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:07:02 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: June 04, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »

Obviously, this isn't exactly Abu Ghraib, but I think this sort of shitty behaviour is indicative of the kinds of guys we've got out there more than anything else. Guys like that can step on a land mine on their first day and get called a hero by the British press, while doctors, nurses and care workers can work tirelessly all their life and nobody bats an eyelid.
Hmm, I thought that was more of a US thing.

I don't think I've ever seen a dead Dutch soldier being called a hero just because he died.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: June 04, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen a dead Dutch soldier being called a hero just because he died.

We do it all the time, though you mostly hear it in relation to the ones who survive and are crippled.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »

Really? Do you have the state funeral, news piece, etc?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »

I don't know, maybe, but if so no one pays attention to them.

Anyways, those offense seems, well, really minors. Except maybe the crotch thing, but still. Just think what's a civilian committing the same offense would get? Way, way less.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: June 04, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »

I don't know, maybe, but if so no one pays attention to them.

Anyways, those offense seems, well, really minors. Except maybe the crotch thing, but still. Just think what's a civilian committing the same offense would get? Way, way less.

No, not way way less. You'd get a minimum of 2 years custodial if you were a civilian and you'd be put on the sex offenders' register, I've been looking around.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 416