Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364522 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2655 on: December 11, 2011, 08:14:43 am »

you mean the same indigenous native, who, in need of more space for their population need, are the principal cause of wood chopping in south america?
Sources?

none, i phrased that wrong.
since i was referring to indigenous natives as "brazilians/peruist/excetera" while rereading it carefully he is referring to the actual "ancient tribes" who live in the forest. my wrong.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 13, 2011, 10:13:26 pm »

Protests continue to build against the United Russia Party over widely perceived rigged elections (which, despite the rigging, United Russia still lost a big chunk of their share in Parliament).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 13, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »

I love how Putin went from beloved sex god of the Russian people to a hated tyrant who can barely even rig elections to make himself win a majority in a single election cycle. I absolutely love it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:36 pm »

I love how Putin went from beloved sex god of the Russian people to a hated tyrant who can barely even rig elections to make himself win a majority in a single election cycle. I absolutely love it.
He's still a beloved sex god-czar in some circles, which is to say that to the nekulturny he's still an entertaining tough-guy. But apparently even there he's losing support. Like when he was booed at a Russian MMA event recently. It'd be like Rick Perry getting booed at a NASCAR race.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2659 on: December 14, 2011, 03:12:29 am »

9gag is everywhere.
i'd like to even start a social experiment to earn trillions of money.
you turn on adsense on an empty blog.
you then ask the entire 9gag community to pass through it.
there. money.
you do the same with youtube videos.
there, more money.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 14, 2011, 03:28:58 am »

He's still a beloved sex god-czar in some circles, which is to say that to the nekulturny he's still an entertaining tough-guy. But apparently even there he's losing support. Like when he was booed at a Russian MMA event recently. It'd be like Rick Perry getting booed at a NASCAR race.

nekulturny? Is that the same thing as a bydlo?

Anyways, I think Russians are starting to realize that his leadership isn't getting them anywhere. Russia should be a major world player in technology and business these days, not just letting their industry rust-belt into irrelevance and selling gas and oil that goes into the elite's pockets like some middle-eastern third-world. Putin's fan's yearn for that kind of return to when Russia was relevant in the world's eyes, but besides lots of saber-rattling and political theatrics, he isn't doing anything to improve the country.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:29 am »

Here you can see some graphs related to the official results of the last Russian elections.
http://samarcandanalytics.com/?page_id=39
Based on officially published data. To anyone remotely familiar with statistics what happened is quite clear.

The reasons why the results of the election were skewed by thousands vote-counting officials are quite complex but the most common is based on fear to lose their job in paid by government position like a school director. Add some region level unlawful pressure by regional Governors that are all now appointed from Moscow instead of being locally elected and you get whatever numbers you like. Central Electoral Committee doesn't even have to make its own hands dirty. They just have to shut their eyes to what their subordinates are doing.

P.S. I doubt that many people here would be happy about the Communist party of Russia gaining majority in Russian parliament at a perfectly honest elections. And you thought that being forced to choose between the Democrats and the Republicans without any other real options is bad, didn't you?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:59 am »

Oh, I know that a lot of the opposition to Putin has its own problems, considering that the next two largest parties are the Communist Party and Vladimir Zhirinovsky's party (I can't believe Zhirinovsky is still around). But those two should act as a foil to each other, so that hopefully if the United Russia Party were beaten down, they'd need to work with the Just Russia party (the one party that probably wouldn't have a "nuke the Western bastards" platform) to retain power.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:13 am »

My guess: nekulturny is the same as (or false friend) niekulturalny in my language-> negation of kulturalny -> negation of cultural/polite/refined/sophisticated

bydlo -> bydło -> livestock (= barbarian)

@Communists.  :o Now I think that Putin is better. Argh.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:50:07 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:52 am »

My guess: nekulturny is the same as (or false friend) niekulturalny in my language-> negation of kulturalny -> negation of cultural/polite/refined/sophisticated

bydlo -> bydło -> livestock (= barbarian)

@Communists.  :o Now I think that Putin is better. Argh.

Yeah, nekulturny = uncultured. It's sort of a pejorative class term, like "chav" or "naco" or "white trash".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 17, 2011, 04:49:51 pm »

Fighting in Egypt, 10 dead, 400 wounded, assholes cops beating protesters. It won't stay peaceful for long imo, they may need armed resistance, now.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: December 21, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »

200 dead in the past two days

BEIRUT (AP) — Government forces surrounded residents of a restive Syrian village in a valley and killed all those trapped inside — more than 100 people — in a barrage of rockets, tank shells, bombs and gunfire that lasted for hours, a witness and two activist groups said Wednesday.

The attack on Tuesday pushed the death toll for two days of violence across Syria to more than 200, and was one of the deadliest single events of the entire nine-month uprising against President Bashar Assad's authoritarian rule.

Would Putin regain some popularity in Russia if he were to support the Arab League's likely efforts toward regime change after such high casualties and visible armed resistance to the Syrian government? Would he be willing to work with the Arab League (and maybe the West as well) towards a new democratic state in Syria?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:52:48 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 21, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

Yeah, the Syrian crisis seems to be breaking out of the stalemate (for better or worse). One telling sign is that the violence and protests weren't on a Friday. Now that Assad has been ostracized by the Arab League, he's running out of room to manuever. And as goes the fortunes of Assad, so goes the fortunes of Hezbollah in Lebanon. If Assad falls, Hezbollah is seriously compromised. Which means that if things get uglier in Syria, they could get uglier in Lebanon. :(

If there's one silver lining in all this (Syria and Egypt), it's that despite any inclinations for well-intended meddling by the US, we're gonna have to sit on our hands due to budget and logistics problems. The Arabs are going to have to sort this one out themselves. Which is probably for the best.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: December 21, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »

Wikipedia is having a discussion on renaming the 2011 Syrian Uprising article to 2011 Syrian Civil War. I am inclined to agree, this has gone beyond a simple uprising.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: December 21, 2011, 04:09:38 pm »

Agreed, especially since the "protester" side now has the support of a decent chunk of the former Syrian Army and they've been conducting offensive (albeit guerrilla) operations against the Syrian Army.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 416