Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364449 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2550 on: October 30, 2011, 04:08:23 am »

According to this ranking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Europe Sweden ranks seventh in number of citizens who declare themselves atheist...

Of course later down they say the contrary. Maybe that 2005 poll is outdated, or something.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: October 30, 2011, 04:32:59 am »

I don't think they have to be secular. I do think they need to respect the rights of those who don't follow their faith though. I believe in a fundamental freedom of religion.
For me there is a difference.

It's often vaguely symbolic, but nations with a formal official religion often result in minor walls existing that are often ignored. An example from the UK was Blair waiting till he had stepped down as Prime Minister to convert to Catholicism. This is mostly because the Prime Minister 'advises' the Queen on appointing Church of England Bishops (basically says which one she gives the nod to). Under the Relief Acts, neither Catholics nor Jews can be advisers for Church matters.

Blair had been effectively Catholic fairly early in his term, even taking communion way back in 1996, but maintained a vague Christian faith in public and officially to avoid triggering a constitutional crisis.

And then there are the harms done to the Church by having at least their upper ranks being a political playground.

These things are minor, but elsewhere they can easily become more pronounced, especially combined with weak or missing protections for minorities.

For governments formed in areas of strong religious conflict or past theocratic regimes (and you can make an argument for the US having such a history from the early state and colonial governments) protecting from unconscious religious bias being incorporated into law or political structure is vital. The strength of the US separation, in law at least, should be the default in my view.

A general protection for freedom of religion seems fragile to me when there is an official religion involved in saying what that freedom means.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:58 am »

There's also the Church of England getting a bunch of free seats in the second house for their bishops.  I mean I guess it's just another horrible thing about the composition of the second house but it's still annoying.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 30, 2011, 10:57:15 am »

Does the house of lords have any actual political power though?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:01 am »

They can reject any bill so yes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: October 30, 2011, 11:32:57 am »

According to this ranking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Europe Sweden ranks seventh in number of citizens who declare themselves atheist...

Of course later down they say the contrary. Maybe that 2005 poll is outdated, or something.

Ah, yeah. I did the mistake of just not reading what the other numbers where about, just looking at the leftmost one about God.

After doing some digging, I've come across research saying we're both the number one atheist country as well as further down, so I guess saying "one of the most" is the only way of being reasonably correct.
Love, scriver~

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: October 30, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »

Yes, horrible injustices. It would be unimaginably worse if the wall between Church and State in the US were any lower. That was my point.
Right, so that whole thing arguing that a state without codified secularism being unable to do this as good if not better than secular democracies was all fluff. Okay.

No, I quite enjoy being alive. I sometimes get concerns about my safety as an atheist even here in the US, I wouldn't set foot in any religious state outside of Europe if you paid me.
This explains why you think the USA is great when it comes to religious freedoms. Travel the world a bit. You'll find religion is tolerated better elsewhere.

The hell? I didn't say "all". I said "most". I am fully aware of the European nations that are unsecular. The difference there is that religiosity is very low compared to the Middle East and Africa (as well as the US, for that matter). This limits the harm of not having a secular state immensely. But that's not the case in the Middle East and Africa, which is why secularism is such a vital thing to develop there.
I never did say you said all. In fact I made a big point of showing how you acknowledged it, and cursed Norway for ruining your ability to say all. You are walking on stereotypes with the Middle East and Europe though.

Secular autocracies are still autocracies. There aren't all that many of them, there's China, I suppose.
Yes, there isn't a lot of autocracies that survive the test of time. Amazing how that works. Non-secular democracies do fine too.

I sincerely doubt that. You'll also have to define what constitutes an Islamic law.
No, I don't. Sharia (which is Islamic Law) is a nice little codified thing, similar to Common Law. You can look up the items quite easily. It differs from country to country as precedent and interpretation applies to it, but it spells out the laws pretty darn well.

Personal attacks are against the rules.
Context my boy, context.

Not all that much. A good deal of the Founding Fathers were quite un-Christian, a significant number of deists among them. They wrote the Constitution, which has nothing to do with "Judeo-Chrisitan" ideas (that also being very hard to define). The Constitution is the basis of all US law, or at least that's what the government tries to live up to, and so it follows that the law has little to thank religion for.
Define not that much. Your typical Sharia isn't much different from the laws of any other nation. You even have religiously motivated laws in the United States defining what you can and cannot wear.
Let me ask you this, why is wearing a shirt in public required for a woman? How come I can't go around with my junk flapping in the breeze? It's our society, which is based on certain religious principles. Are they wrong? Perhaps for some, but not for others. This is why we can't make one unified law around the globe. I don't think it is offensive to point a shoe at me, but don't you dare slurp in my presence. Other places, it's highly disrespectful to not slurp. And some places, pointing shoes at others is very offensive. You can't control what is/isn't appropriate in a society, so you need to allow that society to handle it. Sharia allows for that in the same way common law allows for it.
As for what the US government trys to live up to, I won't touch that one.

Iran tried to meet that ideal. Iran got a theocracy because secularism got thrown out with the Shah, and now has one of the worst human rights records in the world.
Iran made some very specific choices on how to interpret it's holy word, just as Spain did when it delivered the sword to the Americas.

I don't care if they practice their religion or not. That they believe it does not concern or bother me. For all I care about that aspect every imam in the Middle East in North Africa can spread any message; from that only way to get to paradise is to kill every non-Muslim in the world to utter pacifism and peace towards everyone, everywhere, forever, and every message in between. I will only be concerned about any religion from a legal standpoint if secularism is lacking, because if it is not, then the actual power in the region will be at least somewhat resistant to religious influence. As a matter of fact, Muslims would be a lot more free to practice their faith under a secular state than a religious one, especially considering the rather unpleasant tension that exists between Sunnis and Shias/Shi'ites in some areas.

I don't disagree about the abuse and neglect standpoint (although the point about the dictatorships being foreign-sponsored is rather blanketing), but it certainly isn't the only important aspect by far, and I put developing a secular state on the same level. Hence avoiding a repeat of the Iran issue.
I will grant you that Sunnis and Shias tend to have conflicts that result in more persecution than either really should get, but I don't think that forcing every nation to be Non-secular will solve the problem. The middle east is already very accepting of other religions, you just don't have much experience with it. You are falling to propaganda and refusing to get outside evidence to support your theories. This sounds like it isn't what you believe in doing. I suggest you go visit the middle east. The UAE is pretty stable, I'd suggest there. Saudi Arabia and Turkey are also both somewhat stable, but I've heard they got some odd laws so you should familiarize yourself with common protocol them before you go. There are plenty of others. Go out and broaden your horizons.

For governments formed in areas of strong religious conflict or past theocratic regimes (and you can make an argument for the US having such a history from the early state and colonial governments) protecting from unconscious religious bias being incorporated into law or political structure is vital. The strength of the US separation, in law at least, should be the default in my view.
That is your point of view. Mine is a little different. I feel that even in countries that codify a strong separation, that separation can break down at the desire of the masses, which means the masses have the control over this issue. Therefore, forcing a point of view on them can cause unnecessary tension. Sharia isn't really any worse than any other legal system I see in the world. It does what it can to preserve order and give a sense of justice. What more do you want out of it? Cessation of all death penalties? When we can figure out how to do that with Secular states, perhaps we can tackle that in non-secular states. Either way, there is too many real oppressive and stupid laws in the United State's legal books for anyone to go off saying that being a secular state ensures a better system of law. It's the people who matter, and not the basis of the system.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 30, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »

This explains why you think the USA is great when it comes to religious freedoms. Travel the world a bit. You'll find religion is tolerated better elsewhere.
It's a little hard to travel across the whole globe when I have no money and constant obligations here at home.
Your typical Sharia isn't much different from the laws of any other nation. You even have religiously motivated laws in the United States defining what you can and cannot wear. Let me ask you this, why is wearing a shirt in public required for a woman? How come I can't go around with my junk flapping in the breeze?
Because moralistic lobbyists have pressured Congress to pass indecency legislation that has no place in the legal code.
It's our society, which is based on certain religious principles.
It's individuals with the power to try and enforce their view of the world on everyone instead of calming the hell down and letting people live their personal lives how they wish without getting the law involved.
Are they wrong?
Yes. People should live and let live.
I don't think it is offensive to point a shoe at me, but don't you dare slurp in my presence. Other places, it's highly disrespectful to not slurp. And some places, pointing shoes at others is very offensive.
And that has nothing to do with law. Cultural perceptions of etiquette most certainly do not belong in any law code, because: 
You can't control what is/isn't appropriate in a society
Sharia allows for that in the same way common law allows for it.
Sharia is pretty brutal, man. It's not really out of line for the time it was written in, but these days it doesn't fit. Blasphemy law, making women and men cover themselves to various decrees (Sometimes extreme ones), anti-homosexuality, legal regulation of religious practice and hygiene, very little in the way of women's rights, treating non-Muslims as second-class citizens, the death penalty, it just does not belong in the world. No religious law does. And until people realize that, the suffering that religious law causes is going to continue.
Now, I know what you're thinking, and I know. I am aware that there is far more to Sharia than all of that. And I know that there are good things in it, but they are mostly things in any coherent legal code. And I know it instituted a new order and may well have made people more free when it was introduced. But that world is gone now, and when it comes to common legal codes, Sharia has become the odd one out. Most of the world has embraced secular law by this point, some better than others, but when it comes to fully religious codes of law Sharia is the only significant one that remains. I see that as a problem for everyone, Muslim or not.
Iran made some very specific choices on how to interpret it's holy word, just as Spain did when it delivered the sword to the Americas.
And thankfully, Spain's bloody conquest and exploration was eventually brought to an end. So who's going to bring Iran's theocracy to an end? I personally hope it will be the Iranians themselves.
The middle east is already very accepting of other religions, you just don't have much experience with it. You are falling to propaganda and refusing to get outside evidence to support your theories.

Then please, present your specific evidence to support your side of this debate.
I suggest you go visit the middle east. The UAE is pretty stable, I'd suggest there. Saudi Arabia and Turkey are also both somewhat stable, but I've heard they got some odd laws so you should familiarize yourself with common protocol them before you go.

Of those, the only one I would even consider is Turkey, and even that would be a stretch. I've heard disturbing stories about how Saudi Arabian police have been known to "find" bottles of alcohol in tourist's cars.
It's the very same odd laws and protocols you mention that keep me away from the Middle East. I'm not interested in following them, so I won't go there. Simple as that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 30, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »

I presented my evidence, from first hand accounts, of better treatment when it came to religious issues in Forign "Oppressive Non-Secular" states.

By the way, Halakha exists, as does Cannon Law. Religious laws can be found the world over. Jaywalking is also still in full effect for the most part, but very few people ever see a ticket from it. A lot of your real bad laws are just like that, they exist to punish general anarchy in society.

I think modesty laws deserve special mention. Modesty laws are ALWAYS from the point of view of the culture they are in. If a woman were walking around with her boobs hanging out of her dress but nipples covered, this is not Immodest by our society. If her nipples do flash out though, it is and she is deserving of a ticket. Same for showing other sensitive areas. Just because the culture referenced has stricter standards of modesty don't change the fact that both are forcing the woman, or man, to conform to society's expectations of Modesty. That is entirely set by the culture, and laws will constantly change to ensure that whatever is modest is allowed and immodesty is punished. Laws of what is and isn't modest change over time. Sometimes they change drastically, but drastic changes are always the result of revolution against society that wasn't allowed to change, or externally forcing an individual's opinions of modesty on the group which was generally different than the norm.

But ultimately, until you go out and see some of these nations that you say are doing it so wrong as you point to societies that are generally less than 60 years behind the United States in rights and freedoms with their horrible religious based laws, I don't see much value in continuing to talk to you about it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:10 am »

Diplomercenary

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 19, 2011, 10:48:11 am »

Hmmmm.... not sure of what you're saying Kogan, are you telling that separation of church and state is not important or are you arguing that it serve no purpose in an intolerant society, or are you telling us Muslim countries have a worse reputation than they deserve?

For me separation of church and state is nice, but it was rather "now that we've stopped being intolerant, let's oust that bunch of priest from our government" at the time when it's been instored.
While removing the then dominant church from power was certainly a very good thing, I believe that principles alone are not very useful.
In this optic, I don't think that the fact they base their constitution on Sharia is necessarily a bad thing, but I do am curious on how they'll choose to interpret it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:50:10 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 19, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »

or are you telling us Muslim countries have a worse reputation than they deserve?

Some places in the middle east, while having a state religion, are more tolerant than purely secular nations. The United States is also only secular on paper and quite religious and intolerant in reality, which is the opposite of some countries, whom are religious on paper but secular otherwise. Proof.

I find your link very interesting Duuvian. So what were these guys trying to do? Buy Qaddafi an escape? Shameful that it's even possible.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 21, 2011, 08:56:33 am »

I find your link very interesting Duuvian. So what were these guys trying to do? Buy Qaddafi an escape? Shameful that it's even possible.

I think this was at some point towards the beginning. It was more an attempt to sway the US to not do the things we did eventually by convincing members of the government that Gaddhafi isn't so bad and those darn Islamists would blow up the world if Libya had a democracy.

I have to wonder if it was before of after the following picture, since at least one of the higher-ups had some sort of tie to Mr. McCain. I'll probably investigate more at some point. I still feel McCain deserves recognition for not only being brave enough to visit the Libyan opposition at the time but also for possibly breaking with his associates in doing so.

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 21, 2011, 10:44:40 am »

McCain is a former POW who advocated ignoring the laws of Warfare. I really don't believe McCain is sane.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2564 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:05 am »

McCain is a former POW who advocated ignoring the laws of Warfare. I really don't believe McCain is sane.

I had a great deal of respect for McCain until the republican primary when he began advocating torture.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 416