Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364700 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2340 on: October 20, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

The transitional Libyan government has been doing "the hard part" since the fall of Tripoli, and aside from loyalist-guerrillas, they seem to be having no problem at all with it.  Building a country does take a while, but there's been no hint of strongmen yet.  NATO and the US have been watching the council like hawks, and were very adamant on that provision that nobody currently in the leadership will be eligible as candidates come the first elections.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »

Because a singer that's been dead for two years takes priority over the dictator that has finally been toppled.
He's not a dictator who's finally been toppled. He's a dictator who was toppled a long time ago.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 20, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

I always feel a little bad when a James Bond villain dies.

Oh well.  We still have Putin.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:10 pm »

Gaddafi wasn't a James Bond villain. He had the crazy, sure, but not enough ingenuity. You know, like the kind that keeps you from being ousted from power after a massive civil war and getting shot by people who probably used to be soldiers of his.

Putin has got the Anti-Bond suave going on, but he isn't quite crazy enough. Putin's obviously no saint, but he seems to be very aware of his public status as a hero to a good deal of Russians, and wants to keep that image alive for as long as possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

I dunno, Qaddafi did stay in power for 42 years, with armories full of golden guns and stolen superweapons, a bodyguard of "virgin" women from around the world as beautiful as they were deadly (presumably on both counts), and license to live in a giant tent when visiting the UN.  That's pretty good supervillain cred in my book.

Fare thee well, crazy prince.  May your names by many and legacies few.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:24 pm »

Wait, he had a golden gun? I know I haven't been following this at all and this has probably been said a dozen times but holy shit. May flights of mooks sing thee to thy rest, O Scaramanga-expy.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 20, 2011, 10:19:49 pm »

I swear, Qaddafi seems more like a James Bond Villian than a dictator.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »

As a matter of fact, he had a golden pistol on him when he was caught and killed.  As is the way of Libyan rebels, they all called dibs on the gun, hats, and uniforms, so they could pretend to be their hated foe and make faces at cameras.

Nobody can say these guys don't know how to rebel with style.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 20, 2011, 10:24:42 pm »

He had several, actually.

No guarantee of which were actually his though, but blinged out guns are a staple of dictators (and drug dealers) the world over. His don't seem particularly out of the ordinary, I suppose... That last one at least seems questionable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 20, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »

It's probably not all that hard to gold-plate a gun.

That first one is intricate as hell though, it would be art if it wasn't so tacky.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: October 20, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

From what I understand, they aren't gold-plated. They actually have solid gold components.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 20, 2011, 11:06:39 pm »

A brutal dictator, but at least he had style.  He probably could've lived a good life just being a goofball celebrity like so many in the West.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 20, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »

>implying that Gaddafi wasn't a goofball celebrity
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:36 pm »

He had several, actually.

No guarantee of which were actually his though, but blinged out guns are a staple of dictators (and drug dealers) the world over. His don't seem particularly out of the ordinary, I suppose... That last one at least seems questionable.

They don't?  That first one is fucking pimp.

Also, I find it hard to believe a gun could have solid gold components, at least not the actual working components.  Gold is too soft to withstand that kind of stress.
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: October 20, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »

Also, I find it hard to believe a gun could have solid gold components, at least not the actual working components.  Gold is too soft to withstand that kind of stress.

Besides making the thing way too heavy to be practical.  I would think so, anyway.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 416